ADVERTISEMENT

I don't like coaches shoving players

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Especially not good people like Morris. I know coach was frustrated and came to the aid of his players because of what he thought was unfair treatment by the refs. But shoving a player is just not a good sign of character or respect.

This post was edited on 2/27 12:18 PM by jdubb66

I haven't commented on this because you get blinded the day of a game with emotions. I'm generally an optimistic fan as most people know on this board and that was straight f'd up. In the heat of the moment those things happen but still not right. Should he be suspended? Not in my eyes. Needs to make a heartfelt apology behind closed doors to Morris individually and then his guys as a whole.Hopefully thats happened already. Tim Floyd is our coach and i'm still with my coach 100%. He cares, he gives a sh!t about this team. We all F up so lets move on.

He also owes an Apology to Morris Parents who I'm sure didn't enjot watching that happen with the man entrusted to watch over their son

You're right about the parents. Hell Morris was pumping up the game to friends and family on instagram. Imagine everyone seeing that must be somewhat alarmed. Well the 1 game suspension just came out. Some people got their wish

Let's remember...

The "shove" was not done out of anger towards Morris himself but towards the ref. Now if Floyd had done that because Morris had copped an attitude or his play on the court sucked and pulled a Bobby Knight on Morris, then he deserves whatever he's got coming. I think we're all blowing this all out of proportion, we've all been there when we've momentarily lost it and then immediately wished we could take that moment back. Freakin Coach Floyd was seeing red and wanted a piece of that ref and then realized once he cooled down in the locker room how wrong he was. I'm sure as the players went back to the locker room after the game, Morris was the first person Floyd talked to and apologized to the rest of the team later. "No biggie," is how I feel and how Morris probably responded to coach.

Bring back the Amen chant!

Re: Let's remember...

AMEN !!!!!
It's been more frustrating for Floyd to deal with the events of the season and then the disappointments of this game than any of us can begin to imagine. Give him a break and try to feel his pain. Multiply your own pain by a million and you might be close. This was a game he really, really wanted.

I went back and looked it again. As it happened last night, I didn't think it was a big deal, and if you review it, as I just did, well, it confirms what jamasterj just said. Coach Floyd's hand got caught in Morris's jersey, thus causing the yank, that's easy to see. The shove was more of a get back out there, let me handle this, than a get the F out of my face thing. Again, I'm sure Floyd has apologized either way to Morris and his team.

To add to that, I wouldn't be surprised if the players felt they were to blame for coach's outburst, it was their play on the court that led up to that and the ref's terrible call is what sent him over the edge. Gotta believe there were apologies all around that night, coach for acting a fool and the players for their dismal performance, hope this fires them up for the tourney and what's left of the regular season.

Bring back the Amen chant!

Well said. Basically this all came about because one of his player was being totally screwed by a terrible call. I would hate to be Southern Miss on Saturday.

USM beat UTSA. UTSA is no UTEP, but what do you want to do when the season is coming to an end...Go out with a bang! Hope UTEP is ready.

Lucky that it happened on the same night the Vandy coach threatened to kill his player.
uzi.r191677.gif

Me being the ultimate CTF supporter.....I was more dissapointed with his tirade, than I was of the loss. :(

What a bunch of babies we have become.... I for one liked floyds Fire!! He is fighting for his team...yes he shouldn't have pushed morris but good lord some of you are making it look like he through him through a brick wall!
at least someone cares about losing!!
This post was edited on 2/28 6:13 AM by PURPLEFIRE

Damn guys do you need a tampon for that pussy cause there's a lot of bitching about nothing. Floyd got the one game suspension to save face against the worst team in the conference. Makes the boosters feel warm inside and community from voicing displeasure if not suspended at least a game. I would think Floyd's emotions against refs finally boiled over from all the other games that have been officiated poorly, unfortunately Morris was in the path.

In Floyd I Trust

Still a Believer

You know, these "crybaby"/"tampon" comments are really not helpful. Tim Floyd's antics - however brief - embarrassed himself, his program, and the university he represents. Wish the AD had stepped up rather than waiting for the conference to do his job. But then that would have been out of character.

I have been a Tim Floyd fan. Like others, I felt the marriage of UTEP and Tim Floyd 5 years ago had the potential to create a perennial top 20 program. Floyd's track record, connection with Haskins, and love of the city, combined with UTEP's history, tradition, exceptional facilities, and huge, rabid fan base was going to dominate a mediocre, mid-major conference. He was brought to El Paso to win championships, win tournaments, and compete annually for the NCAA tournament. Hasn't happened. His recruiting has been inconsistent and controversial, certainly underperforming expectations. He's had off the court issues (e.g. gambling), that haven't helped. If you're a Rice or North Texas fan, the last five years have been nirvana. UTEP? Not so much.

And now this...

Nobody's calling for anybody's head or looking to file restraining orders. Still, as a coach and university representative, you cannot completely lose your composure or put your hands on anybody, much less one of your own. Have to believe behind the scene conversations will get louder as the mediocrity continues.

This post was edited on 2/28 10:18 AM by LaserCoog

Originally posted by LaserCoog:
Tim Floyd's antics - however brief - embarrassed himself, his program, and the university he represents. Wish the AD had stepped up rather than waiting for the conference to do his job. But then that would have been out
Oh please- you're making it like Floyd shoved Morris to the ground. If this was a big deal it would have been all over Sportscenter. The push was so light, I don't think Morris even moved. I am not the biggest Floyd supporter around and I think he has under performed here so far, but I am on Floyd's side here. What he did was wrong, but nothing to over exaggerate about. Like others said, he wasn't even suspended for the push against Morris, it was because he took too long to leave the court after he was ejected.

Lasercoog, I agree with you about CTF needing to hold it together, but not because it makes UTEP look bad, or embarrasses a fan base, but because Floyd can't coach for shit when he's out of his mind. His outbursts rarely, if ever, seem to spark his team and in my observations, the level of play goes south after these tantrums. The "shove" is being blown out of proportion, but fortunately only by a small minority. CTF haters can add fuel to their fire with this incident, as we all seek evidence to support our perspective. However, as much as the media loves to dramatize almost anything, this incident received very little national attention, and for good reason. Because it wasn't a big deal!!!

I have to say, though, I really agree with what you said about why we brought Floyd back to UTEP, and the "promise" behind such a hire, and the lack of results over the last 5 years. Some love the guy and think he can do no wrong. Some hate the guy and want him on the next bus out. I'm somewhere in the middle, but am growing impatient with the lack of success, especially considering the conference we play in. Damn...this school needs some current success, b/c 1992 was a long damn time ago!!!

Haven't been able to post about the "incident" until now - way overblown - should it have happened? No, but, not a very big deal, AT ALL. It wasn't him trying to discipline or put a player "in his place" - was just out of control and that is what was most wrong about what happened, need to do a better job of controlling emotions............we see coaches lose it all the time, doesn't make it right............but very stressful jobs with very highly emotionally charged situations, it happens. Like someone else posted - glad to see some fire out of Coach!

I'd like to begin this post defending the much maligned Tampon. Given the choice between tampons and pads, Tampons rock. You'll have to trust me here, or ask your wives and girlfriends. I hope that ends the Tampon conversation.

I am not at all angry at CTF. As others have said, it was a "heat of the moment" moment, and I am sure he is upset and embarrassed and won't do it again. Not this year, anyway. It was an accident... I doubt he had any intent to "push" EM.... I have seen angry men many times before (you tube, of course), and people always push away the ones that try to stop the fight.

I really don't think it was that big a deal, to be honest ; I know that even I, the pacifist, wanted to punch that creepy ref. in the mouth.

That's all. I really just wanted to post about Tampons. Now back to listening to the USM game. It's half-time.
Wzi.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT