ADVERTISEMENT

I sent this e-mail to Jim Senter this morning.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
12/2/2019

Jim Senter

Director of Athletics.

The University of Texas at El Paso.

Mr. Senter,

As a UTEP graduate and season ticket holder, I am asking for your response as to what is specifically being done to address the lack of organization and discipline that we are continuously seeing from of our football team. I can understand that turning around a football program can take many years and require a lot of patience. But what I can not understand is how a team can continuously not improve in the areas that have nothing to do with talent, but everything to do with coaching, discipline, and organization.

Our team has struggled all year long with needless personal foul and pre-snap penalties. This has even included multiple personal fouls taking place on plays which were not even relevant to the course of the game, for instance we had a Personal Foul penalty against our kick return unit for a kick that had sailed out of the end zone for a simple touchback against Florida International. Another example was a needless unsportsmanlike penalty against our field goal unit…...after we made the field goal against NMSU. The UTSA game was then a complete embarrassment as our guys were jawing, pushing, and shoving after almost play. We had a total of 11 Personal Foul/Unsportmanslike Penalties over just the first 6 games of this season alone which is frankly ridiculous. When I watched us play, Coach Dimel does not appear to have control over his own team.

To verify that this is a major concern which is not improving over time, here are now the details of what then happened in our final 2 games of this season. Please note that this is after two complete spring balls, two complete fall camps, and at the end of two full seasons under Dana Dimel’s program. In our final two games this season, against two teams that we match-up with very comparably, we again had an unsportsmanlike/personal foul penalty in both games, we had to burn a time out due to not getting our personnel/call-in on time in both games, and we had numerous pre-snap penalties in both games. This included 2 False Starts, 2 Delay of Games, and 1 illegal Shift against Rice. Then we had also had 2 False Starts and 1 Substitution Infraction against NMSU. I then read an El Paso Times article the day after the Rice game, in which both a UTEP offensive player and a UTEP defensive player wee quoted stating that our players were not getting the right calls and were running different plays. These organizational issues are happening in the 23rd and 24th games of Coach Dimel’s time at UTEP and this is not acceptable.

These poor results are at the root of the overall poor results that we are seeing both on the score board and with record low crowds. The lack of discipline and lack of organization has been extremely disappointing for a coach with Dana Dimel’s experience and this should not be acceptable to you as the Director of Athletics. I can buy into a long term rebuild, but what I can not buy into is a watching this lack of discipline and organization out of our coaching staff/program. What specific changes are being made to ensure that is being addressed?

Sincerely,

Xxxxx xxxxxxx

UTEP Graduate - College of Business.

UTEP Season Ticket Holder.

I can't emphasize enough that it is realistic to take a UTEP program to a (low) tier bowl by year two. My goodness, Kugler did it....Kuuuuggggleeeer!

My point is, he called year two as showing progress? Coach, pretend El Paso is in Missouri, "show me?" The PPG went up. KL throwing got better but not until last few weeks. Hardison can throw a strike but is clearly not a RPO qb, so that is scholi used up. Cowling is UTEP's slot receiver but still no deep threat has emerged (UTEP is going on year five or six in that department). The lack of discipline is not only glaring, it's embarrassing.

We appreciate your support and interest in UTEP athletics. Fans like you are going to help us lead the orange revival. We have read your concerns and we are doing everything possible to make the improvements needed for success. We hope we can continue to count on your support going forward. Thank you and GO MINERS!

We appreciate your support and interest in UTEP athletics. Fans like you are going to help us lead the orange revival. We have read your concerns and we are doing everything possible to make the improvements needed for success. We hope we can continue to count on your support going forward. Thank you and GO MINERS!
Close enough lol

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I have exchanged emails with Jim a number of times on different topics. I won't hit him with this. He has a genuine challenge ahead; even greater now than before he hired Dimel. What a miserable situation to now try to fix an even more broken down jalopy than he inherited.

Reactions: minerfan_14
KL throwing got better but not until last few weeks.
Maybe if KL had been the clear #1 at the beginning, during training camp, instead of splitting reps due to an ill-advised 2 QB battle, we would have seen this improved performance from KL earlier in the season. Another coaching decision holding our players back!

Maybe if KL had been the clear #1 at the beginning, during training camp, instead of splitting reps due to an ill-advised 2 QB battle, we would have seen this improved performance from KL earlier in the season. Another coaching decision holding our players back!
Wasn't KL not practicing with the team because of the trouble he got into? Kind of hard to make him a clear starter when he wasn't around the team all summer and barely got reps because of the punishment.

I have exchanged emails with Jim a number of times on different topics. I won't hit him with this. He has a genuine challenge ahead; even greater now than before he hired Dimel. What a miserable situation to now try to fix an even more broken down jalopy than he inherited.
I figured as much (given the conversations I’ve had when he was in the DFW area for alumni events) sometimes people don’t realize how bad something is until you get an honest response.

He was in Las Cruces all morning for the media event so if you got a reply in the morning it was from someone other than him

12/2/2019

Jim Senter

Director of Athletics.

The University of Texas at El Paso.

Mr. Senter,

As a UTEP graduate and season ticket holder, I am asking for your response as to what is specifically being done to address the lack of organization and discipline that we are continuously seeing from of our football team. I can understand that turning around a football program can take many years and require a lot of patience. But what I can not understand is how a team can continuously not improve in the areas that have nothing to do with talent, but everything to do with coaching, discipline, and organization.

Our team has struggled all year long with needless personal foul and pre-snap penalties. This has even included multiple personal fouls taking place on plays which were not even relevant to the course of the game, for instance we had a Personal Foul penalty against our kick return unit for a kick that had sailed out of the end zone for a simple touchback against Florida International. Another example was a needless unsportsmanlike penalty against our field goal unit…...after we made the field goal against NMSU. The UTSA game was then a complete embarrassment as our guys were jawing, pushing, and shoving after almost play. We had a total of 11 Personal Foul/Unsportmanslike Penalties over just the first 6 games of this season alone which is frankly ridiculous. When I watched us play, Coach Dimel does not appear to have control over his own team.

To verify that this is a major concern which is not improving over time, here are now the details of what then happened in our final 2 games of this season. Please note that this is after two complete spring balls, two complete fall camps, and at the end of two full seasons under Dana Dimel’s program. In our final two games this season, against two teams that we match-up with very comparably, we again had an unsportsmanlike/personal foul penalty in both games, we had to burn a time out due to not getting our personnel/call-in on time in both games, and we had numerous pre-snap penalties in both games. This included 2 False Starts, 2 Delay of Games, and 1 illegal Shift against Rice. Then we had also had 2 False Starts and 1 Substitution Infraction against NMSU. I then read an El Paso Times article the day after the Rice game, in which both a UTEP offensive player and a UTEP defensive player wee quoted stating that our players were not getting the right calls and were running different plays. These organizational issues are happening in the 23rd and 24th games of Coach Dimel’s time at UTEP and this is not acceptable.

These poor results are at the root of the overall poor results that we are seeing both on the score board and with record low crowds. The lack of discipline and lack of organization has been extremely disappointing for a coach with Dana Dimel’s experience and this should not be acceptable to you as the Director of Athletics. I can buy into a long term rebuild, but what I can not buy into is a watching this lack of discipline and organization out of our coaching staff/program. What specific changes are being made to ensure that is being addressed?

Sincerely,

Xxxxx xxxxxxx

UTEP Graduate - College of Business.

UTEP Season Ticket Holder.

An English professor would have a field day with this.

Wasn't KL not practicing with the team because of the trouble he got into? Kind of hard to make him a clear starter when he wasn't around the team all summer and barely got reps because of the punishment.

That's right, Locks was not taking any reps during team period during camp Ruidoso from what I saw on both Friday and Saturday of that week.

He really should have been kicked off the team prior to the season IMO. That was KL's fault.

He really should have been kicked off the team prior to the season IMO. That was KL's fault.
Well, that's certainly fair, and I would defend that, but if you're not going to kick him off the team, then for God's sake use him properly. This halfway wishy-washy stuff does nobody good.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT