ADVERTISEMENT

I suck at picking basketball coaches

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
It's a damn good thing that I'm not an AD. I have come to the conclusion that I really suck at picking basketball coaches.

I was at work when the Tim Floyd hire was announced. I screamed out loudin delight. My coworkers came rushing to my desk to see what was wrong. I thought that a new and glorious era of UTEP Basketball, similar to what we experienced in the 80s, was eminent. I couldn't have been more wrong.

After Floyd's failure, I was on board with Terry. I loved his history as a recruiter, thought that his Fresno State teams showed improvement, and appreciated the fact that he was able to lead them to an NCAA Tournament birth. For 1.5 seasons I thought that I had been correct, despite the struggles we knew he would experience his first year, then the wheels came off in Hawaii during his sophomore campaign. He did prove that he could recruit, but his coaching left much to be desired. He would have been fired as coach if he hadn't lucked into the opportunity that Chris Beard provided him.

I had two favorites during the search for our current coach: Tang and Golding. It looks like I was miraculously right about Tang. I liked him after watching Baylor's defense when they won the title. Gonzaga's offense was one of the best I had ever seen, yet they were completely flummoxed by Baylor's suffocating defense. I wanted that defense here at UTEP. But I also liked Golding. I loved how he had built his ACU team from nothing into a conference champion, two time NCAA Tournament team, and Tournament game winner, something we haven't done since '92. I was excited when he was hired and pumped after his introductory press conference. The season is still young, so he has ample opportunity to change my mind, but from where I stand now it looks like I was wrong again, just as I was with Floyd and Terry.

Good thing that I'm not an AD. You guys would be coming after me with pitchforks and torches. If I had a clone he'd join you.

It's a damn good thing that I'm not an AD. I have come to the conclusion that I really suck at picking basketball coaches.

I was at work when the Tim Floyd hire was announced. I screamed out loudin delight. My coworkers came rushing to my desk to see what was wrong. I thought that a new and glorious era of UTEP Basketball, similar to what we experienced in the 80s, was eminent. I couldn't have been more wrong.

After Floyd's failure, I was on board with Terry. I loved his history as a recruiter, thought that his Fresno State teams showed improvement, and appreciated the fact that he was able to lead them to an NCAA Tournament birth. For 1.5 seasons I thought that I had been correct, despite the struggles we knew he would experience his first year, then the wheels came off in Hawaii during his sophomore campaign. He did prove that he could recruit, but his coaching left much to be desired. He would have been fired as coach if he hadn't lucked into the opportunity that Chris Beard provided him.

I had two favorites during the search for our current coach: Tang and Golding. It looks like I was miraculously right about Tang. I liked him after watching Baylor's defense when they won the title. Gonzaga's offense was one of the best I had ever seen, yet they were completely flummoxed by Baylor's suffocating defense. I wanted that defense here at UTEP. But I also liked Golding. I loved how he had built his ACU team from nothing into a conference champion, two time NCAA Tournament team, and Tournament game winner, something we haven't done since '92. I was excited when he was hired and pumped after his introductory press conference. The season is still young, so he has ample opportunity to change my mind, but from where I stand now it looks like I was wrong again, just as I was with Floyd and Terry.

Good thing that I'm not an AD. You guys would be coming after me with pitchforks and torches. If I had a clone he'd join you.
I'm in the same boat Maniac. I will say this though, Terry was able to bring in far better talent than Golding, at the same stage. I know it was a different time; before NIL and the transfer portal, but still. I was for the Golding hire as well, but the big question was recruiting. I think this year's team has some pieces, but also some glaring holes. I questioned not adding an interior scorer, as well as another shooter (knowing Hebb would likely not be eligible).

Looking at the make up of this year's team, the bulk of the minutes are going to the same guys that played last year, with the exception of Powell/Camper. So that combo replaced Givance. Onyema wasn't replaced. So now there is even less of an interior offensive presence to work inside out. I'm hoping Golding can turn things around, but it is looking alot like last year all over again. Next year looks like another giant rebuild losing a minimum of 4 big minute guys to eligibility.

I was for Billy, not for Sadler, OK with Barbee, for Floyd, not for Terry, for Golding.

Football: yes to Price, no to Kugler, and no to Dimel.

And I’m no for Marion.

Reactions: picks up
Mad as hell when Billy left...thought who the hell is Sadler?

Didn't know Barbee, but grew to love his players, recruiting and style of play. Wanted Barbee to stay. That next team would have been really really good.

Happy with the Floyd hire cause I thought he was perfect to take Barbee's team the next level, then he spurns Moultrie. I was able to put up with his shit while building up to that 2014 team. Had some cool junk defenses and in bound plays. After the VH fiasco I was done with him, but still supported the team.

Wanted the dude from Virginia (the one that sucked at Charlotte). Wasn't sold on Terry, but liked his recruiting and his talk about coming back to Texas. Then he started over-rectuiting, showed no coaching adjustments and weird substitutions. Terry is one lucky mofo though. Gotta give him that.

Wanted Tang 1st, Barbee back 2nd. I didnt know about Golding. Within a year I could see that he is a poor recruiter. Within 2 years I can see that basketball wise he's a one trick pony and rides his manic personality to get support. Year 3 is no better.

Bigwood mentioned Kimani Young a few years back. We should go after him.

When it comes to football, I would have certainly hired Mike Price. I wouldn't have held onto him for as long as Stull did, however. I wouldn't have hired a position coach (Kugler) or a guy who had spent the last several years as a coordinator because he completely blew his previous shot as a head coach (Dimel). Does this make me better than Stull and Senter, even with my admitted basketball hiring shortcomings? :)

Last edited:
When ut comes to football, I would have certainly hired Mike Price. I wouldn't have held onto him for as long as Stull did, however. I wouldn't have hired a position coach (Kugler) or a guy who had spent the last several years as a coordinator because he completely blew his previous shot as a head coach (Dimel). Does this make me better than Stull and Senter, even with my admitted basketball hiring shortcomings? :)
Right now yes- probably won’t change, unfortunately Senter probably needs to go

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT