ADVERTISEMENT

I think we owe the NIT bid to Xavier

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
The NCAA selection committee has shown that they place a premium on quality wins. Now, for the time being, the NCAA runs the NIT selection committee and I believe they use the same methodology. (Remember, before the NCAA took over the NIT, there were no formal seeds like there are now.) I think the new NIT, under the NCAA, really is like a "little dance" and rewards merit.

Well, the Miners did play a fairly difficult non-conference schedule and they did come out of it with a quality win over Xavier, a 6th seed in the NCAA Tourney bracket. That, coupled with the victory over Old Dominion, I think is what put the Miners in the NIT field.

I think the Miners should continue to schedule strong teams and enter tournaments in the nonconference schedule. The Miners don't have to win them all; just a couple of quality wins makes a world of difference for the NCAA/NIT selection committees.

That's a very valid point, FF. In addition, should Vince Hunter not foul out with 8:00 left in regulation, there's a good chance UTEP is actually in the Field of 64 (68) with a strong win over Arizona. Throw in a two point defeat at Colorado St, which easily could have been flipped, and UTEP is an 8 or 9 seed. Shoulda, woulda, coulda....

ADVERTISEMENT