ADVERTISEMENT

ICE: Foreign Students Must Leave The U.S. If Their Colleges Go Online-Only This Fall

If this sticks, UTEP will at least have to implement a hybrid model.

I think people from foreign countries need to attend physical classes to remain in the US. Online only = no physical classes to attend.

That makes sense to me. If they cant be on campus then why give them a Visa? The tweet said 'Abolish ICE' and Fight the resistance. I dont get why this is a bad thing. You cant go from El Paso to Las Cruces without a 14 day qurantine but this is fine?

That makes sense to me. If they cant be on campus then why give them a Visa? The tweet said 'Abolish ICE' and Fight the resistance. I dont get why this is a bad thing. You cant go from El Paso to Las Cruces without a 14 day qurantine but this is fine?

Preaching to the choir man. I don’t think anyone envisioned pandemics screwing everything up like it has.

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
There goes the track and women's basketball team. I think Volleyball has some international players.

This is going to be interesting. The USA lags most countries in primary and secondary education but our college ed system (vocational learning) is one of the best in the world. It's local, supported by state and fed funding and open to all classes, rich and poor alike. We have a volunteer military service that also has job training to take back home. This is a major reason why people from all over come to the U.S and this anti immigrant attitude is a sure death knell if it continues.

Sweet Jesus? Are you serious?

You all do realize that many of our "founding Fathers" were pro immigrant? They believed while some bring a chance for opportunity to CREATE trade, bring skills and that continues to this very day and hour.

You all do realize that many of our "founding Fathers" were pro immigrant? They believed while some bring a chance for opportunity to CREATE trade, bring skills and that continues to this very day and hour.

Agree 2step but there are rules and processes that must be followed. I'm all for immigrants as my grandparents immigrated here. But they followed the process, paid their dues and even so far as to become citizens.

Agree 2step but there are rules and processes that must be followed. I'm all for immigrants as my grandparents immigrated here. But they followed the process, paid their dues and even so far as to become citizens.
Weren’t those students following the rules and processes until this new policy was implemented?

Reactions: develman

What am I missing? Are these immigrants or students? I am picturing Asian students at UC Davis, where 80% of the campus flies in from the far east every fall. Now they're told, this semester, you can still attend but just online. Same thing is happening to hundreds of college campuses this fall to American kids. It's happening at Harvard. Stay home and do courses online.

As far as athletics, I do believe the NCAA requires athletes to attend at least 1 class on campus to be eligible.

I am not anti-immigration. My wife is from Mexico and is a naturalized citizen. But my idea of an international student is someone who is currently in their home country and will be taking online course until we are through this. Not someone who is anchored here on a education VISA.

Weren’t those students following the rules and processes until this new policy was implemented?

On this I also agree. It's very short notice to implement this new policy. I do see the validity of the intent but the impromptu implementation is unfair for students. I would fight it on the basis of timing, request for a stay of the policy as accommodations will need to be made.

A hypothetical would be a foreigner here studying engineering at UTEP. Moved from his home country with all that he has and in a drop of a hat would have to return. This I feel will be successfully fought to give extensions because the timing is just unrealistic.

This policy after reading it in my opinion is a bluff by the federal government to open schools in the Fall. Think about it, what about the poor kids in the U.S. who are citizens but whose families do not have the means to internet or a computer for their kid(s) to attend online school. Moving classes solely online creates an unfair advantage for those who have the means to internet and necessary technology. This is adding pressure to state institutions to reconsider fully online classes. It's why I say people will find ways to bypass this rule.

Reactions: JCorona
And just like that, MIT and Harvard are filing lawsuits against the policy on the basis that online learning at country of origin is "impossible, impracticable, prohibitively expensive, and/or dangerous."

Where have these students been since March? My son goes to college in Arizona and hes been asleep in his room since then. His campus wouldnt let him stay there and his classes are online.

These students cant work on this Visa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT