ADVERTISEMENT

If Anyone Cares

Part defense/Williams seemed a bit out of it for most of the game, bad pass, a lot of fumbles inside. He is having to work way too hard to get a shot and few if any clean looks.

One win down four to go. If we only drop one out of the last five I could get excited about a run in the conference tournament.

Any opinions on today? I'm sure FIU will stick with the full court press. Refs let a lot of bumps and contact go without a whistle. We'll see if they keep the trend. Miners were awful at the free throw line but good at the 3 point line yesterday

Any opinions on today? I'm sure FIU will stick with the full court press. Refs let a lot of bumps and contact go without a whistle. We'll see if they keep the trend. Miners were awful at the free throw line but good at the 3 point line yesterday
I think the adjustment for FIU will be similar to the second game with Rice. They will really emphasize defending the three. I thought their big man, Carrigan, showed he could handle defending BW without the need to double, so that should help them if they want to lock down on the perimeter. On the UTEP side, we've seen Terry pretty much relies on his team hitting their perimeter shots; no real scheme adjustments. Any adjustments are personnel based.

Eeeh. Not much. We haven't shot well 2 games in a row in conference so we could easily lose, but FIU is really bad. I won't be surprised either way. I know what I would do and I know what Terry will do. Not much to discuss.

Eeeh. Not much. We haven't shot well 2 games in a row in conference so we could easily lose, but FIU is really bad. I won't be surprised either way. I know what I would do and I know what Terry will do. Not much to discuss.
The "FIU is really bad" is now all over UTEP social media, on the record for the post game ESPN600 call in show with Adrian Broaddus and I hope they were so tired they stayed in bed all day because they don't need bulletin board material. With UTEP's Helter Skelter play this could easily go towards FIU. If they stay hot beyond the arc the whole game it will be a long night.

ye of little faith in the Miners... Watch for BW to come up big with 20 points. I think this will be the game that Hess gets in with at least 7 minutes... if we score 80 we win...

Reactions: Cube Jack
ye of little faith in the Miners... Watch for BW to come up big with 20 points. I think this will be the game that Hess gets in with at least 7 minutes... if we score 80 we win...

Yeah, let’s be excited over possibly sweeping the worst team in CUSA. Terry working for that extension into 2025!!!

Reactions: utep-piggy
Defense was good last night, especially on the perimeter. Rebounding was one done most of the game, but not the whole game.

On D I wish the guards can cut the lanes off. That Daye guard is a slasher and I can see why he is top in CUSA in scoring.

Well, we absolutely suck so far tonight. We can't handle the press, when we do we still often have careless turnovers, no one but Boum can shoot, and we are missing layups and dunks. If FIU was a good team we'd be getting killed right now. Thankfully they're a bad team themselves.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Heck, If FIU was better at the line the score would be much worse.

Our guards are missing the pick n role and too much dribbling.

No effective press breaker by CRT mystified me. This is taught in grade school.

Heck, If FIU was better at the line the score would be much worse.

Our guards are missing the pick n role and too much dribbling.

No effective press breaker by CRT mystified me. This is taught in grade school.
They looked so much better last night breaking the press.

Well, we absolutely suck so far tonight. We can't handle the press, when we do we still often have careless turnovers, no one but Boum can shoot, and we are missing layups and dunks. If FIU was a good team we'd be getting killed right now. Thankfully they're a bad team themselves.
Bad in so many areas. Typical first half after a win by UTEP. Horrible guard play in more ways than just the turnovers. Again, Terry has failed to have these guys prepared.

My wife, who's watching something on her phone while I watch the game on the TV just said, "This game sounds boring." What could I say but the truth? "Yeah, it actually is a very bad game." Her response: " Then why are you watching it?"

Now that is a great question. Why? A.sense of loyalty? I feel that it's my duty? I hate myself and feel that I deserve to be punished? Whomever wins this eyesore, this game should be permanently deleted from all media for the good of makind.

My wife, who's watching something on her phone while I watch the game on the TV just said, "This game sounds boring." What could I say but the truth? "Yeah, it actually is a very bad game." Her response: " Then why are you watching it?"

Now that is a great question. Why? A.sense of loyalty? I feel that it's my duty? I hate myself and feel that I deserve to be punished? Whomever wins this eyesore, this game should be permanently deleted from all media for the good of makind.
It's a bad game, but not boring. I'm on the edge of my seat. It's frustrating, because of all the turnovers.

I find it painful to watch. So many turnovers, so many fouls, so much bad basketball from these two teams. It's a tight game, but not, in my opinion, an exciting one.

It looks like the Miners woke up at the right time. Much better play these last few minutes. As long as they don't do anything stupid (not a given) we get our first series sweep.

If I can add about FIU'S full court press: Full court presses are energy hogs no matter the shape of a team. For UTEP Coach Ballard laid off at a critical time that allowed UTEP back in the game because it allows opponent guards to regroup, basically. He just doesn't have the horses to do it for 40 minutes and it was critical Friday & tonight. You a) need a deep bench to substitute players b) need to constantly trap at critical spots; otherwise, it can be broken (at half court because you can't trap corners).

What helped UTEP win is they backed off (which understandable to save energy due to limited bench BY FIU). If FIU rolled the dice and stayed with it, this game could have been different.

Owen's kept saying "why did they stop pressing?". He knew it was game changing.

But, UTEP went to Williams and FIU got into foul trouble.

Last edited:
If I can add about FIU'S full court press: Full court presses are energy hogs no matter the shape of a team. For UTEP Coach Ballard laid off at a critical time that allowed UTEP back in the game because it allows opponent guards to regroup, basically. He just doesn't have the horses to do it for 40 minutes and it was critical Friday & tonight. You a) need a deep bench to substitute players b) need to constantly trap at critical spots; otherwise, it can be broken (at half court because you can't trap corners).

What helped UTEP win is they backed off (which understandable to save energy due to limited bench BY FIU). If FIU rolled the dice and stayed with it, this game could have been different.

Once Carrigan fouled out, FIU lost the defender on the backend needed in case the press was broken. Overall, UTEP looked like they had never seen a press, which is again on Terry. They were very fortunate to win, and they were aided big time by that call on Daye on Agnew. Obviously, a win is a win, but not an impressive effort by any means.

Losing their Rim defender (Carrigan) to foul trouble in the second half did them in. We stopped jacking up every three given to us and went to the basket which got them in even more trouble. Williams is off, he misses to many bunnies underneath (4 tonight, including a dunk) and he has abandoned his mid range game, all inside or 3pts (none tonight). Agnew is a keeper plays tough, both ends and is aggressive (something this team is reluctant to do). Overall hard to judge this win as FIU is not top notch, but on the other hand we usually split with these kind of teams, so winning two is something to build on.

Well, FIU also put UTEP into the DOUBLE-bonus 7 minutes into the 2nd half. I think FIU needed to back off a bit because all their fouls were going to put UTEP on the line for the remaining 13 minutes of the game.

Well, FIU also put UTEP into the DOUBLE-bonus 7 minutes into the 2nd half. I think FIU needed to back off a bit because all their fouls were going to put UTEP on the line for the remaining 13 minutes of the game.
It happened before but I agree. Looks to Williams increased in 2nd half and caused foul trouble for FIU.

But my main point is failure by CRT to put an effective press breaker. My inner Haskins was going into overdrive.

1986- 1987 Iowa had a full game instense full court press. UTEP broke it every time in first round NCAA game so there is precedent.

Losing their Rim defender (Carrigan) to foul trouble in the second half did them in. We stopped jacking up every three given to us and went to the basket which got them in even more trouble. Williams is off, he misses to many bunnies underneath (4 tonight, including a dunk) and he has abandoned his mid range game, all inside or 3pts (none tonight). Agnew is a keeper plays tough, both ends and is aggressive (something this team is reluctant to do). Overall hard to judge this win as FIU is not top notch, but on the other hand we usually split with these kind of teams, so winning two is something to build on.
Agnew provided a spark tonight, but he is so erratic and often out of control. Hopefully, he is able to stabilize his game and be more consistent. Really, the same can be said about the rest of the guards as well. Bieniemy has been lousy the last few weeks, after showing some offensive ability. His turnovers are way up. Then you have a guy like Kennedy who plays extensive minutes, despite the fact that he is such a poor shooter. I mean what D1 guard shoots 44% from the free throw line and still plays over 30 minutes a game? Plus, do either Kennedy or Boum realize they have other teammates? Share the damn ball. I don't understand how Terry allows some guys to play that way without immediately sitting them on the bench.

Agnew provided a spark tonight, but he is so erratic and often out of control. Hopefully, he is able to stabilize his game and be more consistent. Really, the same can be said about the rest of the guards as well. Bieniemy has been lousy the last few weeks, after showing some offensive ability. His turnovers are way up. Then you have a guy like Kennedy who plays extensive minutes, despite the fact that he is such a poor shooter. I mean what D1 guard shoots 44% from the free throw line and still plays over 30 minutes a game? Plus, do either Kennedy or Boum realize they have other teammates? Share the damn ball. I don't understand how Terry allows some guys to play that way without immediately sitting them on the bench.
Agnew brings a switch blade when he's in, period. That's a good thing and a bad thing. This weekend it was a good thing. With top CUSA tier its bad. Upper CUSA tier teams will force him to make mistakes which he has shown. Lower tier struggle with him. He needs to control his attacks and against top tier help just to make sure offense is in 4th gear without forcing.

Agnew brings a switch blade when he's in, period. That's a good thing and a bad thing. This weekend it was a good thing. With top CUSA tier its bad. Upper CUSA tier teams will force him to make mistakes which he has shown. Lower tier struggle with him. He needs to control his attacks and against top tier help just to make sure offense is in 4th gear without forcing.
We need somebody who brings a Swiss Army knife.

I'm surprised Daye didn't get tossed for that flagrant foul. It looked like he was intending to put Agnew on the hardwood from the start. For a second I thought Agnew would charge at him.

I'm surprised Daye didn't get tossed for that flagrant foul. It looked like he was intending to put Agnew on the hardwood from the start. For a second I thought Agnew would charge at him.
It looked like he was going to charge at him, but he was held back by teammates.

Used to never miss a game. Think I've watched about a game and a half this year. I actually wasn't even doing anything last night, and still decided to skip it.

Just feels like we've become an equivalent to an FIU type program these days. Nothing worth going out of my way to watch...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT