ADVERTISEMENT

If UTEP had a Choice, AAC or MWC

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
I know it's a big if but if both the AAC and MWC lose teams this expansion round and both offered UTEP a spot, would you want UTEP back with the Texas schools plus Navy, ECU, UAB and Temple or with whoever remains in the MWC?

Let's say offers came at the end of football season and UTEP won a bowl and averaged over 30k attendance. Also assume schools are not going to leave the SBC or switch between the AAC and MWC.

Let's say offers came at the end of football season and UTEP won a bowl and averaged over 30k attendance.

Winning the NM Bowl and having 30k a game will have no impact on UTEP changing conferences. None.

Hypothetically speaking, UTEP should go to the MWC. I’d rather play Nevada, Utah St, UNM, and Wyoming than play with the same crap we’ve been playing with for 20 years.

Go west and north, playing in a southern based conference the last 20 or so years has done little to elevate our recruiting or status with the rest of Texas, they don't care for us and I really could care less for them. Besides I think the MWC schools are more basketball oriented as is UTEP. Rather attend the conference tourney in VEGAS than metroplex suburbia. Bowl games are a wash, travel is likely a wash as is attendance tv etc. (no one knows who is left in either conference when these chips fall).

I know it's a big if but if both the AAC and MWC lose teams this expansion round and both offered UTEP a spot, would you want UTEP back with the Texas schools plus Navy, ECU, UAB and Temple or with whoever remains in the MWC?

Let's say offers came at the end of football season and UTEP won a bowl and averaged over 30k attendance. Also assume schools are not going to leave the SBC or switch between the AAC and MWC.

MWC

The AAC has a deal with ESPN which runs through 2031 and pays out roughly $10 million per school. The ACC payed out between $35 and $38 million per school last year.

MWC gets 4 mil per team (except Boise and Hawaii).

Last edited:
Go west and north, playing in a southern based conference the last 20 or so years has done little to elevate our recruiting or status with the rest of Texas, they don't care for us and I really could care less for them. Besides I think the MWC schools are more basketball oriented as is UTEP. Rather attend the conference tourney in VEGAS than metroplex suburbia. Bowl games are a wash, travel is likely a wash as is attendance tv etc. (no one knows who is left in either conference when these chips fall).
$$$ isn’t a wash, but it doesn’t matter — no way AAC considers us.

If both conferences get picked over by higher profile conferences, then the MWC becomes second rate and the AAC becomes third rate. The AAC has the better TV money deal because of bigger markets. That would be the only incentive.
In the AAC, we'd be playing some of the same schools we've been playing, that the fans have been yawning over. The AAC has become Conference USA 3.0. Conference USA is now the layover stop on the way to something better. It has more former members than any three other conferences put together.
I have lost interest in the MWC. We have a geographical footprint with the MWC, but that's all. The old rivalries aren't there anymore. We got our asses handed to us in football every season. We were the big dog in basketball then, but that ended back in the 1990's.
In football, UTEP is enjoyable to watch two seasons out of every ten, no matter what conference we are in. In basketball, we were all rabid UTEP fans no matter what conference we were in. We won a national championship without being in a conference. But I haven't gotten really excited over UTEP basketball since the last season where we played Memphis.
The gist of my rambling is that UTEP needs to pull itself up into something the fans want to cheer for. Any particular conference affiliation is secondary to that. There isn't any conference out there that is going to wave the magic wand and make it all better. We have to become better ourselves. Go Miners.

If both conferences get picked over by higher profile conferences, then the MWC becomes second rate and the AAC becomes third rate. The AAC has the better TV money deal because of bigger markets. That would be the only incentive.
In the AAC, we'd be playing some of the same schools we've been playing, that the fans have been yawning over. The AAC has become Conference USA 3.0. Conference USA is now the layover stop on the way to something better. It has more former members than any three other conferences put together.
I have lost interest in the MWC. We have a geographical footprint with the MWC, but that's all. The old rivalries aren't there anymore. We got our asses handed to us in football every season. We were the big dog in basketball then, but that ended back in the 1990's.
In football, UTEP is enjoyable to watch two seasons out of every ten, no matter what conference we are in. In basketball, we were all rabid UTEP fans no matter what conference we were in. We won a national championship without being in a conference. But I haven't gotten really excited over UTEP basketball since the last season where we played Memphis.
The gist of my rambling is that UTEP needs to pull itself up into something the fans want to cheer for. Any particular conference affiliation is secondary to that. There isn't any conference out there that is going to wave the magic wand and make it all better. We have to become better ourselves. Go Miners.
Spot on pay4.

Great speech, but we have to be in a conference to get TV $$$. We’re not Notre Dame.

It depends on how bad the MW gets cut up. I could see Boise or UNLV and SDSU going to the PAC and the AAC taking the two Colorado schools. At that point our only option would be the MW. The new MW would take a big hit with the media deal and any further expansion would have to be Western fcs schools.

The AAC on the other hand will always expand with FBS schools but I see no scenario where we would get an invite.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It depends on how bad the MW gets cut up. I could see Boise or UNLV and SDSU going to the PAC and the AAC taking the two Colorado schools. At that point our only option would be the MW. The new MW would take a big hit with the media deal and any further expansion would have to be Western fcs schools.

The AAC on the other hand will always expand with FBS schools but I see no scenario where we would get an invite.
AAC > MW, but we won’t get into AAC anyway.

If they had then UTEP and NMSU would likely be in the MWC right now.
My dream League though it will never happen once 2 or 4 mega conferences make it US vs everyone else. This is of the Big 12 becomes a casualty as well. Wonder if some Texas Billionaire can partner with Foster and get a TV Deal and make this happen!!! Low travel costs, regional rivalries, recruiting benefits and fun games!!! Lol 😂 I know it's not real, relax, I realize it's a pipe dream.

Reborn: Southwest Conference:
West
Rice
Houston
SMU
TCU
Tulane
La Tech

East
Baylor
N. Texas
Texas Tech
Utep
UTSA
Texas St.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
My dream League though it will never happen once 2 or 4 mega conferences make it US vs everyone else. This is of the Big 12 becomes a casualty as well. Wonder if some Texas Billionaire can partner with Foster and get a TV Deal and make this happen!!! Low travel costs, regional rivalries, recruiting benefits and fun games!!! Lol 😂 I know it's not real, relax, I realize it's a pipe dream.

West
Rice
Houston
SMU
TCU
Tulane
La Tech

East
Baylor
N. Texas
Texas Tech
Utep
UTSA
Texas St.
I kinda have to blast your logic here dude. If you’re going to include “unrealistic” schools like Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston, why not include Texas and A&M? Tulane and LaTech over LSU?

• Haha
Reactions: nattybry
Here would be my “dream” conference

UTEP
NMSU
UNM
Grand Canyon
NAU
UNLV
Nevada
San Diego St
Texas St
UT-Arlington
Air Force
Denver

I kinda have to blast your logic here dude. If you’re going to include “unrealistic” schools like Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston, why not include Texas and A&M? Tulane and LaTech over LSU?
First of all I made it clear it was a pipe dream. Second of all you're either being dumb or don't pay attention to College Football. TCU and Tech are not on Par with LSU, A&M or Texas. Third of all, this is a scenario where Big 12 gets ransacked and obviously LSU, Texas and A&M would be safe and sound in the SEC one of the Power 2 or 3. Bro formulize your response better, that's was as weak as Conference USA! Lol

West
Rice
Houston
SMU
TCU
Tulane
La Tech

East
Baylor
N. Texas
Texas Tech
Utep
UTSA
Texas St.

Seriously? That's your "dream" conference? That's a SH*T conference. Wanna dream? Fine. Take the remaining PAC-12 and add UTEP and Texas Tech. There's a nice "dream" conference.

My dream realistic conference.

Whatever is left of the MW plus nmsu and Texas St.

Seriously? That's your "dream" conference? That's a SH*T conference. Wanna dream? Fine. Take the remaining PAC-12 and add UTEP and Texas Tech. There's a nice "dream" conference.
That's about as far as my dream would let me go while still somewhat mixing some realistic teams and scenarios. If I had said UTEP in Pac 10 with the teams still in it now or BIG 10 or SEC or something like that, then I would've had to check myself in to Dallas Psychiatric Hospital Immediately. At least with my dream conference I only have to take meds lol It's a fake conference though bro Relax! 😅

Reactions: TxRdKiller

BRAVO!!! UTEP needs to approach sports with a passion. If we play in the WAC, play to win the WAC every year (I think that's what Haskins' goal every year, no?) If we play in CUSA, play to win CUSA every year. Life has given us an endless supply of lemons and tiny amounts of sugar to work with. We should be experts at making lemonade by now, but we are still stuck in the "we don't have water, to make lemonade, in the desert" mentality.

That was the gist of my earlier rant. We do need to be in a conference but we need to be leaders in that conference and not followers.

Reactions: T-6 Miner

West
Rice
Houston
SMU
TCU
Tulane
La Tech

East
Baylor
N. Texas
Texas Tech
Utep
UTSA
Texas St.

Why is UTEP in the east and LA Tech in the west?

Life has given us an endless supply of lemons and tiny amounts of sugar to work with. We should be experts at making lemonade by now, but we are still stuck in the "we don't have water, to make lemonade, in the desert" mentality.
La Tech has a good reputation making good old fashion southern lemonade with a shoestring budget; I believe UTEP's is higher than theirs? They put together a competitive program in basketball and football every year and some have them contending for the CUSA football crown this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT