ADVERTISEMENT

If we don't have a football season

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I don't want this to be the case, but it's really up in there air if there will be a College Football Season or one as we are used to. UTEP is a small D-1 school Budget wise and might not be able to play without fans. If we don't have a lot cleared up by beginning of July I think the season for UTEP is in serious trouble!

We'll play. The state of Texas will have students on campus in the fall. The only game that might be in doubt is the game in Reno. The west coast schools are in trouble. The NCAA doesn't run d1 football so this will be the wild west.

We're 3 1/2 months away from the college football season. Teams will need to start practicing in late July/early August. I just don't see it happening.

The NCAA doesn't run the playoff and bowl games, but they certainly run everything else. If student athletes can't attend classes on campus they won't be allowed to play.

No they set recruiting guidelines, practice hours, eligibility. However they have no say over the season. The conference's will decide the fate of the season.

But college athletes must take at least class on campus in order to play. How is that going to happen if schools are closed? The fact is if schools are closes there will be no college football.

They'll modify the rules which is already being discussed. The NCAA has no say in this. Some conferences will hurt ie the PAC12. Some may not have all their schools participate.

They'll modify the rules which is already being discussed. The NCAA has no say in this. Some conferences will hurt ie the PAC12. Some may not have all their schools participate.

Either way, I don't see it happening. California is on lockdown through July. Broadway shows aren't coming back until 2021. There won't be college games without fans.

The UT system, Texas Tech and the A&M system have said they will have on campus classes. There will be college football but probably not in the format that we are used to.

This is from the CSU chancellor.

There will be exceptions for classes that “cannot be delivered virtually, are indispensable to the university’s core mission and can be conducted within the rigorous standards of safety and welfare,” White added.

Those courses include science lab classes that enable degree completion; clinical classes for nursing students that keep them on track to earn licenses to enter the healthcare workforce; and hands-on learning for engineering, agriculture and architecture students.

Last edited:
The UT system, Texas Tech and the A&M system have said they will have on campus classes. There will be college football but probably not in the format that we are used to.

Do you think there will be 100,000 fans in the stands in 3 1/2 months? Limited capacity?

Do you think there will be 100,000 fans in the stands in 3 1/2 months? Limited capacity?
No doubt it will be limited capacity and possibly no fans. They want the TV money. Having students on campus in dorms makes money for the University, so students will be on campus. It is already happening at some of the UT system schools.

No doubt it will be limited capacity and possibly no fans. They want the TV money. Having students on campus in dorms makes money for the University, so students will be on campus. It is already happening at some of the UT system schools.

I think we might just see the big schools play without fans. The MAC already reduced the teams for the basketball tournaments and eliminated postseason for the non-revenue sports.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I do know that the NCAA has reduced the number of competitive days for tennis to 17 from 24. They are trying to cut travel cost every place they can.

Those are just words. I bet there’s a lot of out of work parents still telling their kids, they’re going to have a “great summer” and “Santa is still coming on Christmas” right now too. They don’t ****in know. It’s just going to take 1 death of a FBS/FCS player/coach in the next 3 months for them to call it off.

Limiting the number of fans seems like an easy idea to some, but at big time programs, that shit isn’t going to fly. UTEP and NMSU can already have their fans social distant without any problems. What do you do at Alabama? You’re going to be asking people with 30 yard line seats for years to sit in the end zone nosebleeds. I would hate to be the one breaking the news for that.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Those are just words. I bet there’s a lot of out of work parents still telling their kids, they’re going to have a “great summer” and “Santa is still coming on Christmas” right now too. They don’t ****in know. It’s just going to take 1 death of a FBS/FCS player/coach in the next 3 months for them to call it off.

Limiting the number of fans seems like an easy idea to some, but at big time programs, that shit isn’t going to fly. UTEP and NMSU can already have their fans social distant without any problems. What do you do at Alabama? You’re going to be asking people with 30 yard line seats for years to sit in the end zone nosebleeds. I would hate to be the one breaking the news for that.

They are more than words. They are implementing a plan for 50-50 classes. No classes on Fridays. In person classes only once a week and online the other day. In addition class sizes will be limited and moved to large auditorium classrooms.

They are more than words. They are implementing a plan for 50-50 classes. No classes on Fridays. In person classes only once a week and online the other day. In addition class sizes will be limited and moved to large auditorium classrooms.
Treatments, not vaccine just treatment, will not be available until mid fall at earliest.

Miner folks, all over the world countries that are reopening are seeing numbers go back up. El Paso spiked rather significantly yesterday. UTEP needs to keep it closed.

NFL, MLB & NBA are "to heck with ya'll! We want the money!" so they are an extremely bad example. This is college; college DOES teach, promote, fund, stand up for truth, empiricism and facts. If this fails, so goes hope.

Rumors on PAC XII twitterverse stating that Cal schools may not play this year. For FBS this includes

UCLA
USC
Stanford
Cal
Fresno State
SDSU
SJSU

But then again what the heck do I know?

"With a number of universities, including Oklahoma and Ohio State, having already canceled on-campus summer classes, and anywhere from a four- to eight-week period needed for student-athletes to get fully conditioned to be prepared to play, it seems virtually impossible that the season could start Aug. 29.

If the season is delayed, 61 percent of the athletic directors think it would start in October or November, with 41 percent believing it would be a 12-game season, and 20 percent predicting an eight- or nine-game conference-only schedule.

Also, 14 percent of the athletic directors believe the season will not start until after the Christmas holiday break, beginning in either late January or February during the spring semester.

“Spring gives us the best chance to have a full season,” a Power Five AD said. “It’s been hard for many to process this, but the longer this goes, the more this will become the best option.”

There would be many challenges with a spring season, including:

• Projected first-round NFL Draft picks, such as Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, potentially opting not to play in a college football season that doesn’t end until weeks after the NFL Draft
  • only a two- or three-month break before the 2021 season begins
  • the overlapping of recruiting calendar/signing days
  • eligibility and/or Academic Progress Rate (APR) issues
  • injury concerns.
But those problems can — and will — be dealt with in order to get football played.

“We have to do everything we can to get 12 games in,” a Group of Five AD said."

F poor little Trevor Lawrence and his draft options. Seriously, you college beat writers?! This is every corner of the country and planet. Screw if they play or not!

https://watchstadium.com/99-percent...have-college-football-this-season-04-21-2020/

I don't believe it takes 8 full weeks to get into shape for a football game. I still have hope that things will be almost normal by August 1st. I think alot of this, unfortunately, depends if you're living in a Red or Blue state. Don't believe anyone that tells you this is about saving lives, saving the economy, or flattening the curve.

This is about what party Controls the 20Trillion Dollar Business in November.

But then again what the heck do I know?

"With a number of universities, including Oklahoma and Ohio State, having already canceled on-campus summer classes, and anywhere from a four- to eight-week period needed for student-athletes to get fully conditioned to be prepared to play, it seems virtually impossible that the season could start Aug. 29.

If the season is delayed, 61 percent of the athletic directors think it would start in October or November, with 41 percent believing it would be a 12-game season, and 20 percent predicting an eight- or nine-game conference-only schedule.

Also, 14 percent of the athletic directors believe the season will not start until after the Christmas holiday break, beginning in either late January or February during the spring semester.

“Spring gives us the best chance to have a full season,” a Power Five AD said. “It’s been hard for many to process this, but the longer this goes, the more this will become the best option.”

There would be many challenges with a spring season, including:

• Projected first-round NFL Draft picks, such as Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, potentially opting not to play in a college football season that doesn’t end until weeks after the NFL Draft
  • only a two- or three-month break before the 2021 season begins
  • the overlapping of recruiting calendar/signing days
  • eligibility and/or Academic Progress Rate (APR) issues
  • injury concerns.
But those problems can — and will — be dealt with in order to get football played.

“We have to do everything we can to get 12 games in,” a Group of Five AD said."

F poor little Trevor Lawrence and his draft options. Seriously, you college beat writers?! This is every corner of the country and planet. Screw if they play or not!

https://watchstadium.com/99-percent...have-college-football-this-season-04-21-2020/
And the draft could be moved. A vaccine ready in late fall or early winter would really help spring football season, players and fans.

What do you want to bet?

You said the Reno game is the only one in doubt, I will bet you that is not the only game canceled. So you’re saying that UTEP will play 11 or 12 games and all but Reno should go on as planned. I am saying that won’t be the case.

The bet is for your handle. You win the bet, you can pick my username and if I win, I get to pick yours.

Last edited:
I don't believe it takes 8 full weeks to get into shape for a football game. I still have hope that things will be almost normal by August 1st. I think alot of this, unfortunately, depends if you're living in a Red or Blue state. Don't believe anyone that tells you this is about saving lives, saving the economy, or flattening the curve.

This is about what party Controls the 20Trillion Dollar Business in November.

So COVID-19 is a giant conspiracy? The government is purposely putting people on unemployment and permanently shutting down businesses?

Reactions: develman
So COVID-19 is a giant conspiracy? The government is purposely putting people on unemployment and permanently shutting down businesses?

It's not a conspiracy. I just am optimistic that by August we will be at a point to have school. I'm optimistic that there wont be a second wave. Australia is entering winter and had 11 new cases. They're not seeing a second wave. The Covid19 is real, but I have faith that will be back sooner than later.

What I am talking about with the Government, is it's pretty obvious that the Blue States and Red States are doing things differently. Not saying what side is right, but they are letting agendas drive their next steps, not data.

It's not a conspiracy. I just am optimistic that by August we will be at a point to have school. I'm optimistic that there wont be a second wave. Australia is entering winter and had 11 new cases. They're not seeing a second wave. The Covid19 is real, but I have faith that will be back sooner than later.

What I am talking about with the Government, is it's pretty obvious that the Blue States and Red States are doing things differently. Not saying what side is right, but they are letting agendas drive their next steps, not data.

I hope you are right, but there are ten times as many people in the United States than Australia.

I think one side actually listens to the science and the other listens to lobbied agendas. Not exclusively but more than not this is the case.

I also am selfishly optimistic.

1. I am a football coach and my team is going to be pretty good again.

2. It's my son's Senior Year and the last year he'll play for me.

3. Without Football season my income will be substantially lower.

Trump is clearly leaving it up to the states.

43 new cases today and 4 deaths. El Paso is still going up. Senter is in a pickle if this doesn't flatten. If I was a CUSA AD at a town with low/flattened rates I would say "I'm not risking players and staff going to El Paso. They have been going up!".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT