ADVERTISEMENT

Inside scoop

And in a sense he is right. If we actually play through BW, then it’s not a bad strategy. If on the other hand we are just gonna jack 3s up out of our half court offense, that’s a completely different story.

Those two things go together in this offense.

Reactions: miner1liner
Team wants to run, but Terry wants to run half court and feed Bryson.
This is interesting because I always hear Terry saying that he wants to run and play in transition. I'm not doubting you, I'm just stating what I hear him say

Reactions: develman
This is interesting because I always hear Terry saying that he wants to run and play in transition. I'm not doubting you, I'm just stating what I hear him say

Well, what do you see? We almost always slow down and set up in half court.

Reactions: picks up
We scored 52 points in the last 23 minutes of the game. 41 points in the last 17 minutes. Erased a 24 point deficit in 11 minutes of the game when we needed points. We're an uptempo team. Scramble up the letters to the word uptempo and we're a utep-mo team (minus a p). When we had to go to a half-court offense we fed it to BW. This is the style I think we play at our best.

Side note. They weren't collapsing on Bryson tonight when he'd get the ball under the canasta

Reactions: picks up
We scored 52 points in the last 23 minutes of the game. 41 points in the last 17 minutes. Erased a 24 point deficit in 11 minutes of the game when we needed points. We're an uptempo team. Scramble up the letters to the word uptempo and we're a utep-mo team (minus a p). When we had to go to a half-court offense we fed it to BW. This is the style I think we play at our best.

Side note. They weren't collapsing on Bryson tonight when he'd get the ball under the canasta

UTSA didnt have the bodies to do so. UTSA is a two man team. La Tech had some big boys and went Normandy Beach on Williams and won that battle.

I really like Boum as a dribble/drive/foul shooting option. He helped us clinch this game.

I like him in that way, too. I love to see him on the free throw line. Unfortunately he was 2-10 from the field, 1-8 from 3. I hate it when he continues to jack up 3s when he's ice cold. Driving and getting to the line is where he helps us best.

I like him in that way, too. I love to see him on the free throw line. Unfortunately he was 2-10 from the field, 1-8 from 3. I hate it when he continues to jack up 3s when he's ice cold. Driving and getting to the line is where he helps us best.

Agree 100% except that we are AWFUL at the pick-and-roll which makes it difficult for Boum (or anyone) to drive when we can't properly pick the defender. Or roll to the basket after the pick to take an inbound pass underneath.

Doesn't every team want to run? Never heard of kids playing basketball who want to set up a half court offense and play defense.
Ran it in high school in 80's as did a lot of high schools here in El Paso, but not all because they transitioned to a more uptempo offense.

Butler beat UTEP with a potent half court offense in 2010. Don't knock it until you try it.

Here is where I see the problem. CRT wants the team to run, but at the same time gets upset with the turnovers. It is a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation. The team is hearing push the ball but stop turning the ball over, which IMO has led to a lack of confidence. I think we need to live with a higher than normal amount of turnovers, 12-15 should be acceptable to a team that is really pushing the ball up court. I also think the team should press more and rotate our guard, which I really thought CRT would have been doing all year.

Here is where I see the problem. CRT wants the team to run, but at the same time gets upset with the turnovers. It is a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation. The team is hearing push the ball but stop turning the ball over, which IMO has led to a lack of confidence. I think we need to live with a higher than normal amount of turnovers, 12-15 should be acceptable to a team that is really pushing the ball up court. I also think the team should press more and rotate our guard, which I really thought CRT would have been doing all year.

Stan, from my observations, the vast majority of our unforced turnovers have come from half court sets. Also, I haven't really seen any attempts by the staff to force a faster tempo. No full court pressure, no long outlet passes off of defensive rebounds (not that we get enough defensive rebounds), no effort to push the ball quickly up the court, few attempts at attacking the basket, etc. This staff may say that they want to run, but I've seen no evidence of this.

I’d be elated if we could keep our turnovers this low. We’d certainly win more games, especially the tight ones. We rank 306th in give aways. Not good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT