ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Investing

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
How many of you invest? What are the hot investments right now? Serious. Do any of you know shit about investing?

You have 3 options: the actual metal which can be pricey with storage, a fund GLD which isnt backed totally by the actual metal, or PHYS which is backed by the metal. I personally think the market is a little overbought now and with our ballooning debt, inflation will soon follow. Gold is a good hedge against inflation.

You could also consider a no load S and P 500 low cost mutual fun . I would recommend Vanguard.

Whichever you choose dollar cost average over the next 12 months which could be quite volatile.

I'm interested in others opinions as well.

FYI, just stating for other type of investments your top two who are one hundred percent solvent is Mass Mutual and Knights of Columbus (Catholic Fraternal Benefit Society). Basically, if an asteroid were to hit the earth and you needed to "cash out" or as they say on CNBC "make a run on the bank", they can pay every (in)vested man, woman and child and other financial obligations.

you’re asking for investment advice here?
I see your point...

I do my own investing (long term and aggressive) Just probing because I enjoy the topic and the market is pretty crazy right now. I get some people are reluctant to mention names of stocks because of the gamble and possible liabilty, but Im not going to run out and bet all in if you name a category you like (if that's what you are asking).

Without mentioning any names then, I got in early on a gambling stock and its doing well. Its been fun watching it go up slowly. I'm also watching some pharmaceutical and travel stocks right now. Its volatile, but I think there are some big gains to be made.

Last edited:
Finance dude here. Previously had doubts on crypto, and regret not making a play on that before. Seems legit. I love tech, but the mining and all that stuff is beyond me.

Speaking of the sexy picks like Tesla, it’ll be interesting to see if they move to ATX or Tulsa. Musk is eccentric to the point he’s a liability and also a genius.

I think the entire Cannabis market is risky. CBD is everywhere now, but little proprietary stuff. Maybe ayahuasca will be the new thing (Billions-the show).

Sports gambling, like Axe said has been good. I think it’s just a matter of time before Texas allows it, and you’ll see another jump.

A stock I invested in when I was younger was Under Armour. Playing baseball in the early 2000s, UA is what you wore. They did fairly well, to the point where, i think, they were the second biggest athletic brand, jumping over Adidas. And then, they just kept missing projections, and it’s a complete mess now! UA can’t make a decent looking shoe to save their lives, and that’s with the help of Steph Curry and Brady!

What say y’all?

Finance dude here. Previously had doubts on crypto, and regret not making a play on that before. Seems legit. I love tech, but the mining and all that stuff is beyond me.

Speaking of the sexy picks like Tesla, it’ll be interesting to see if they move to ATX or Tulsa. Musk is eccentric to the point he’s a liability and also a genius.

I think the entire Cannabis market is risky. CBD is everywhere now, but little proprietary stuff. Maybe ayahuasca will be the new thing (Billions-the show).

Sports gambling, like Axe said has been good. I think it’s just a matter of time before Texas allows it, and you’ll see another jump.

A stock I invested in when I was younger was Under Armour. Playing baseball in the early 2000s, UA is what you wore. They did fairly well, to the point where, i think, they were the second biggest athletic brand, jumping over Adidas. And then, they just kept missing projections, and it’s a complete mess now! UA can’t make a decent looking shoe to save their lives, and that’s with the help of Steph Curry and Brady!

What say y’all?

Let’s hope so. Mother Aya is the shiznit!

Reactions: FarWestTexas

What say y’all?
Great thanks.

I like crypto too and kick myself for not getting a wallet a few years back. Nobody imaged how bitcoin would perform. The way it works is mind-boggling. Unfortunately now if you don't own bitcoin its not worth it. Too pricey and too volatile. Its virtually impossible to mine anymore either unless you own a warehouse of processors and have thousands to spend on electricity.

Now not all cryptocurrencies are so expensive to mine and some aren't even mined. I have some currencies that are of low value. I just bought them for shits and giggles. If ones blows up it will be blind luck. There are just so many different uses and niches now.

The sexy picks like Tesla, Apple, Amazon and Netflix, etc are out of my league now, but I hope to be up there soon. I try to focus on stocks that are $50 and below for new buys.

Last edited:
No, but with CMG. I should add, that it's too late now. I invested in it back in 2012 and I'm about ready to make a clean return.

Timing most certainly is the issue. I moved all of my retirement funds to guaranteed return funds--albeit at fairly low rates (although the rates have dropped considerably since I made the move). At this juncture, I'm glad I did...I'm just weathering the volatility. The question will be... when do we jump back into the game?

Timing most certainly is the issue. I moved all of my retirement funds to guaranteed return funds--albeit at fairly low rates (although the rates have dropped considerably since I made the move). At this juncture, I'm glad I did...I'm just weathering the volatility. The question will be... when do we jump back into the game?
My 401 and IRA have already recovered. I started investing on my own about a month after the market fell in late March. I'm at about 35% return overall so far.

I wish I had bought Tesla a year ago. Admittedly though, it would have been tough at the time since the stock was around $200 and struggling a bit. It has absolutely blown up in the last 6 months. I keep reading that its overpriced, but it doesn't seem to matter.

My 401 and IRA have already recovered. I started investing on my own about a month after the market fell in late March. I'm at about 35% return overall so far.

I wish I had bought Tesla a year ago. Admittedly though, it would have been tough at the time since the stock was around $200 and struggling a bit. It has absolutely blown up in the last 6 months. I keep reading that its overpriced, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Sounds like you timed it right! Now, we need a crystal ball for the next few years--I moved all of my money before the crash (when the Dow dropped to the 19,000s), but I missed out on the recovery.

I moved everything to 3% guaranteed funds, so I'm still up from when I switched. I, however, have side investments on cannabis stocks that most certainly have disappointed. Oh well...will prove to be a good tax write-off for next year.

What programs do y’all use?
TD Ameritrade is my go to with the thinkorswim trading platform.
Webull is a great alternative to Robinhood, which is what a lot of newbies are using. The influx of RH users has caused some waves within trading.

For future DD, I think electronic vehicle stocks are skyrocketing because of Tesla. The new EV company, Nikola Motors is something worth watching. They came out with their own EV truck, that looks a bit more like trucks on the road today than Tesla’s Cybertruck. Who knows if it’ll make it to mass production, but revenue is still unknown.

Webull is a great alternative to Robinhood, which is what a lot of newbies are using. The influx of RH users has caused some waves within trading.

For future DD, I think electronic vehicle stocks are skyrocketing because of Tesla. The new EV company, Nikola Motors is something worth watching. They came out with their own EV truck, that looks a bit more like trucks on the road today than Tesla’s Cybertruck. Who knows if it’ll make it to mass production, but revenue is still unknown.

Ameritrade...I used E-trade way back when they first started, but switched everything over to Ameritrade. Is E-trade even around yet?

I use Fidelity because they manage my IRA and have an easy/informative trading platform. I also got a subscription to Motley Fool which is full of info too.

Regarding the electric vehicles, I have done well with NIO. I'm also watching Workhorse which is trying to contract with UPS for delivery vehicles.

Last edited:
Ameritrade for long term holds. You might consider others for day trading. It's all about tech stocks right now but you might consider picking up some ford stock monday and selling tuesday mid mornin .

Ameritrade for long term holds. You might consider others for day trading. It's all about tech stocks right now but you might consider picking up some ford stock monday and selling tuesday mid mornin .
Whoa whoa Dubbs! Can’t just tease like that! You talking about the Bronco unveiling? Loved the old OJ Broncos, Eddie Bauer editions. Still on the fence on some of the picture leaks, but if this is what you’re alluding to, people definitely buy the hype.

Reactions: axingfools1
Whoa whoa Dubbs! Can’t just tease like that! You talking about the Bronco unveiling? Loved the old OJ Broncos, Eddie Bauer editions. Still on the fence on some of the picture leaks, but if this is what you’re alluding to, people definitely buy the hype.
Yes, the unveiling is on monday so I expect a bump on the stock price. I think its undervalued anyway right now so not a bad long term investment either but I'm trying my hand at day trading right now. I'm only down 10%!

You have 3 options: the actual metal which can be pricey with storage, a fund GLD which isnt backed totally by the actual metal, or PHYS which is backed by the metal. I personally think the market is a little overbought now and with our ballooning debt, inflation will soon follow. Gold is a good hedge against inflation.

You could also consider a no load S and P 500 low cost mutual fun . I would recommend Vanguard.

Whichever you choose dollar cost average over the next 12 months which could be quite volatile.

I'm interested in others opinions as well.

I’ve heard other people say good things about Vanguard. What makes them good? is it low cost? Do they have financial advisors available?

Last edited:
I’ve heard other people say good things about Vanguard. What makes them good? is it low cost? Do they have financial advisors available?

Vanguard is a co-op with trillions in investments. Their philosophy comes from their founder John Bogle.

They are religious about low cost and diversification.

Thanks for the Vanguard recommendations--I've been intending to check them out...

I’ll give you the bottom line re: Vanguard.

They’re the tortoise— slow and steady wins the race.

Only about 20-25% (?) of stock pickers beat them over time, in large part due to their super-low costs.

Thanks for the info on Vanguard. I’m looking for diversification and long term investments. I’ve got a solid 401k plan and have some extra cash to invest.

Just to clarify. My real investments are in guaranteed income funds right. I'm just messing around with a grand that I put into ameritrade. Ford on the move btw.

No, but with CMG. I should add, that it's too late now. I invested in it back in 2012 and I'm about ready to make a clean return.
I have a sad story regarding CMG call options. Went from $7k up to $7k down on one night on a bad earnings report. I was playing golf and when it hit my price I didn't take the 2 minutes to sell out. Live and learn

I have a sad story regarding CMG call options. Went from $7k up to $7k down on one night on a bad earnings report. I was playing golf and when it hit my price I didn't take the 2 minutes to sell out. Live and learn
What year was this?

What year was this?
It happened around 2012 maybe 2013. I was playing in a scramble golf tournament in Denver Colorado when my sell alert went off for CMG. I had uncovered call options. I had a couple of beers in me and instead to doing the smart thing and get out, I decided I would just do it "tomorrow morning". Bad earnings report and CMG tanked overnight (went from about $350 to $250) wiped me out of the position. Bought it again 6 months later and made a small profit and got out. Wish I would have kept my shares.

Last edited:
Man Tesla reeked havoc on the market today. Talk about ups and downs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT