ADVERTISEMENT

Is it right to punish the whole tram

High School player assaults ref

I agree with punishing the whole team in this case. Self control just needs to be drilled into player’s heads.

That’s a question I’m having trouble answering. These other 70 plus kids didn’t seem to have any idea he was gonna run out and drill that ref. I’m torn on this one. Sucks for seniors who had NO part in the drama. I like the idea of holding a group accountable for an individual mistake in practice, because then that individual is more likely rise to the occasion and do his/her part, but for a career to end for something one had no control over...tough situation. I understand where you’re coming from tho.

The team concept always prevails. It is a similarity that they have with the Armed Forces. Everyone pays for a mistake from one of their own. Call it wrong, but that is most likely what has been drilled into their heads from day one. We win together and lose together.

What he did was so egregious, that if they had disqualified the whole team immediately and not played the rest of the game it would have been justified. And in actuality, that is what the school principal should have done. He should have disqualified his school immediately and forfeited the rest of the game.

Secondly, this guy just threw his whole future down the toilet. Supposedly he was a multi sport stud, now who would recruit this guy?

Last edited:
Reactions: minermx07
On one hand I don’t think it’s fair that the whole team should be punished for the actions of one individual.
But on the other hand it was the team’s school district that proposed the punishment and it’s a good face saving punishment.

Reactions: Rocketsr
When a player is penalized for a late hit the whole team gets hit by a 15 yard penalty... actions have consequences. Sorry kid, you blew it for everyone.

Kind of apples to oranges.

I’m actually hearing that the district more than likely disqualified Edinburg as a proactive measure to hurry this situation out of the media. They didn’t want the increase in negative exposure on the district as a whole, that Edinburg being in the playoffs would bring.

Apparently this kid was involved in a similar situation with a ref during a soccer match. The district obviously did not ban him from further UIL activity at that point. Bet they’re wishing they would have!!

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Kind of apples to oranges.

I’m actually hearing that the district more than likely disqualified Edinburg as a proactive measure to hurry this situation out of the media. They didn’t want the increase in negative exposure on the district as a whole, that Edinburg being in the playoffs would bring.

Apparently this kid was involved in a similar situation with a ref during a soccer match. The district obviously did not ban him from further UIL activity at that point. Bet they’re wishing they would have!!
Yep and having angry teammates makes the punishment potentially that much worse. I doubt that kid gives a shit though.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Being the social lefty that I am I blame society (and this players social circle) because we do put waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to much emphasis on American football and basketball.

Being a traditional Roman Catholic family parent who believes in personal responsibility for your actions and raised on the "matamosca" from my central El Paso 'lita and also a well used western leather belt thrashed along by backside by my gringo dad I say cut him and since he was representing the school, he is to serve further legal action, if advisable.

He felt he was some one special who felt he did not deserve to be tossed out and that competition was of such grave level to actually assault the ref is very serious. That it is also his coach's fault for not teaching life values along with X and O's. His guardians/parents fault for not clearly showing the line between what is important and what is "not a big deal" in the grand scheme of things. My God, there are movies about it. His team mates who did not tell or advise that he's a cork ready to pop and staff shows some level of responsibility as well.

So, after all that hot air by me, the punishment fits the crime. They teach it in boot camp folks. They all pay for it and the drill sergeant does face serious reprimand or remedial action by the commanding officer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT