ADVERTISEMENT

Is NMSU really going to play football this month?

We had so many games cancelled; what's the harm in letting us play our rival?

We wouldn't to. The spring is for getting guys healthy and figuring out the depth chart. This year we have to install a defense. We play them during the season. There is no way we would want to play them in an exhibition.

On top of that it would be horrific PR. There are no FBS schools playing in the spring. Things are bad enough without playing some, bush league, mickey mouse spring exhibition game.

The only good about about 2020 is that we didn't play NMSU. That game is zero benefit to UTEP.

Reactions: Taco1977
We wouldn't to. The spring is for getting guys healthy and figuring out the depth chart. This year we have to install a defense. We play them during the season. There is no way we would want to play them in an exhibition.

On top of that it would be horrific PR. There are no FBS schools playing in the spring. Things are bad enough without playing some, bush league, mickey mouse spring exhibition game.

The only good about about 2020 is that we didn't play NMSU. That game is zero benefit to UTEP.
Completely disagree. NMSU is our rival (which happens to have a winning streak against UTEP), not a Mickey Mouse game, unless UTEP is Mickey Mouse. It's not meaningless to most UTEP fans. With all the games cancelled this season, our guys could benefit from the experience of playing in our rivalry game.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Completely disagree. NMSU is our rival (which happens to have a winning streak against UTEP), not a Mickey Mouse game, unless UTEP is Mickey Mouse. It's not meaningless to most UTEP fans.

A spring game would be absolutely meaningless to UTEP fans, an an utter embarrassment.

Completely disagree. NMSU is our rival (which happens to have a winning streak against UTEP), not a Mickey Mouse game, unless UTEP is Mickey Mouse. It's not meaningless to most UTEP fans. With all the games cancelled this season, our guys could benefit from the experience of playing in our rivalry game.

He believes that UTSA is a bigger rival than NMSU. NMSU is our only true rival. It is what it is. Like others, he tries to slam NMSU. Which is weird, considering NMSU owns us over the last 5 years.

UTEP hasn't practiced since December. The security is gone. There are no sponsors. All bowl games are done. Trainers have gone to other sports. UTEP fired both coordinators so they need to teach a new offense and defense....

Maybe in a Disney film this is a good idea. In reality there is no way.

NMSU is only playing these meaningless games because they were getting games canceled and not having a conference meant they couldn t only play conference games. At the time it looked like PAC12 wasn't playing either. Now NMSU got stuck when conferences decided to play. Too bad Ivy League or ODU weren't available

UTEP hasn't practiced since December. The security is gone. There are no sponsors. All bowl games are done. Trainers have gone to other sports. UTEP fired both coordinators so they need to teach a new offense and defense....

NMSU is only playing these meaningless games because they were getting games canceled and not having a conference meant they couldn t only play conference games. At the time it looked like PAC12 wasn't playing either. Now NMSU got stuck when conferences decided to play. Too bad Ivy League or ODU weren't available
Oh yeah, there’s all that!

Reactions: Cube Jack

Does UTEP not do spring practice? They could use spring practice to prepare for a spring game against NMSU? With new coordinators, wouldn't this be a golden opportunity to work out kinks? It would be valuable experience.

I'll bet ESPN would love to broadcast a rare spring game between two FBS teams. People starving for football who would otherwise not care would tune in to see our rivalry game. I think it's a GREAT opportunity.

Does UTEP not do spring practice? They could use spring practice to prepare for a spring game against NMSU? With new coordinators, wouldn't this be a golden opportunity to work out kinks? It would be valuable experience.

I'll bet ESPN would love to broadcast a rare spring game between two FBS teams. People starving for football who would otherwise not care would tune in to see our rivalry game. I think it's a GREAT opportunity.

They start spring practice March 2nd. I think NMSU has been going live for a couple weeks. UTEP wont be going live till at least March 8th. Don't see anyway that this game could be possible in the spring.

this is a pipe dream that neither team is even remotely considering

Reactions: kickballpro
Thanks for the money. I bet NMSU athletics is just rolling in dough to pay all of these outside venues.

"Sanitize the Sun Bowl 2021"

UTEP brought in 2 FCS schools for football and 3 Non-D1s for basketball. Why didn’t they bring in teams in their own division? Oh, money....

Reactions: kickballpro
For football that was actually a luxury to pay two schools to come play here instead of taking a money game.

I bet if Senter knew his only 2 home games were done by Sept 19th and basketball home games were going to have very little fans, he would have done it differently. He bought wins to make his shitty coaches look better.

It’s you’re. If you’re going to call someone dumb, better make sure you don’t end up looking dumber yourself.
Fixed. Hey, my f up.

Now, back to why I made a mistake. You posted: "I bet if Senter knew his only 2 home games were done by Sept 19th and basketball home games were going to have very little fans, he would have done it differently. He bought wins to make his shitty coaches look better. "

You are eager to pile on UTEP fan frustration with their major revenue sports. What could he have done differently? Mind you now, Senter worked with CUSA, the state (Gov Abbott was eager for state FBS schools to "play on" vs Gov Grisham who was extremely hesitant but was willing to work with UNM and NMSU), City/County Health, the school president, Regents, coaches, etc....

The outcome? UTEP fans got to see UTEP basketball and football play and sadly, underperform for both revenue programs. For UTEP Football, they didn't have to postpone. The Rice game was prematurely called by Rice saying some players were positive for UTEP. Dimel asked for another type of test (I forgot what it is called) and they were actually negative; but that's besides my point. The other cancellations were opponent decisions and the city of El Paso was hot with covid. Dimel kept the program mostly covid free; but not one hundred percent, but was able to field a team.

You had to nix football and that was mostly Gov Grisham. Basketball showed a willingness by Santa Fe's offices to work with NMSU BB. You all blew it and it was expensive and embarrassing because you all were off site, quarantined and in a "bubble". NMSU extends an olive branch looking for help . Senter, being a devout Christian (go to his twitter and look for yourself), allows NMSU to use UTEP facilities and the Sun Bowl for 3 games at cost only ($20,000/game (source: KTSM.com). YISD allows NMSU to use their HS basketball gym. Chihuahuas comes to the rescue for NMSU baseball. I wish success for the Aggie players. They just want to play.

As for you, you come on here and pop off Trump'ish comments and offer zero evidence for your comments and continue while knowing damn well UTEP is offering good will to your lame ass school which has been reported all over LC and EP news outlets. NMSU athletics for two decades of mismanagement, has hurt dearly and deeply to football, closed sports that are part of Land Grant colleges just to save football. Basketball season is f'ed and one hundred percent Jans fault but you want to pile on Senter after saving face for Jans by offering DHC use?

I will take UTEP underperformance over your lame arse athletics any day. Deep down NMSU has no identity, and it eats you and your fans deep down. Your FB coach, a total class act I would like to add which NMSU does not deserve, was the best that came across the fax. No one worth their salt wanted that job and it cuts to the quick. UTEP fans do wish for NMSU basketball success. "UTEP has the money, the facilities and the history.." as one poster stated a few days ago, but yet here we are. UTEP does have more L's than W's, but they are playing. UTEP is not checking high school facilities to use and UTEP did finish a football season. In other words, UTEP offered sports during a pandemic for UTEP fans and we got to be the judge. Much more than most can say about what is going on 45 minutes up the road.

Last edited:
Fixed. Hey, my f up.

Now, back to why I made a mistake. You posted: "I bet if Senter knew his only 2 home games were done by Sept 19th and basketball home games were going to have very little fans, he would have done it differently. He bought wins to make his shitty coaches look better. "

You are eager to pile on UTEP fan frustration with their major revenue sports. What could he have done differently? Mind you now, Senter worked with CUSA, the state (Gov Abbott was eager for state FBS schools to "play on" vs Gov Grisham who was extremely hesitant but was willing to work with UNM and NMSU), City/County Health, the school president, Regents, coaches, etc....

The outcome? UTEP fans got to see UTEP basketball and football play and sadly, underperform for both revenue programs. For UTEP Football, they didn't have to postpone. The Rice game was prematurely called by Rice saying some players were positive for UTEP. Dimel asked for another type of test (I forgot what it is called) and they were actually negative; but that's besides my point. The other cancellations were opponent decisions and the city of El Paso was hot with covid. Dimel kept the program mostly covid free; but not one hundred percent, but was able to field a team.

You had to nix football and that was mostly Gov Grisham. Basketball showed a willingness by Santa Fe's offices to work with NMSU BB. You all blew it and it was expensive and embarrassing because you all were off site, quarantined and in a "bubble". NMSU extends an olive branch looking for help . Senter, being a devout Christian (go to his twitter and look for yourself), allows NMSU to use UTEP facilities and the Sun Bowl for 3 games at cost only ($20,000/game (source: KTSM.com). YISD allows NMSU to use their HS basketball gym. Chihuahuas comes to the rescue for NMSU baseball. I wish success for the Aggie players. They just want to play.

As for you, you come on here and pop off Trump'ish comments and offer zero evidence for your comments and continue while knowing damn well UTEP is offering good will to your lame ass school which has been reported all over LC and EP news outlets. NMSU athletics for two decades of mismanagement, has hurt dearly and deeply to football, closed sports that are part of Land Grant colleges just to save football. Basketball season is f'ed and one hundred percent Jans fault but you want to pile on Senter after saving face for Jans by offering DHC use?

I will take UTEP underperformance over your lame arse athletics any day. Deep down NMSU has no identity, and it eats you and your fans deep down. Your FB coach, a total class act I would like to add which NMSU does not deserve, was the best that came across the fax. No one worth their salt wanted that job and it cuts to the quick. UTEP fans do wish for NMSU basketball success. "UTEP has the money, the facilities and the history.." as one poster stated a few days ago, but yet here we are. UTEP does have more L's than W's, but they are playing. UTEP is not checking high school facilities to use and UTEP did finish a football season. In other words, UTEP offered sports during a pandemic for UTEP fans and we got to be the judge. Much more than most can say about what is going on 45 minutes up the road.

A lot to digest here.

So a “devout Christian” rents his facilities out to his neighbor for $20,000? What part of the Bible is only charge your neighbor $20,000 to use your stadium part time? I wonder what Jimmy would have charged them if he wasn’t a “devout Christian”?

So you would rather miss the NCAA tournament and not win a bowl game, and not make the NCAA baseball tournament?

You seem to have some issues with NMSU. Maybe all the losing has taken it’s toll on your feeble brain.

What statements have I made with “no evidence”?

20k per game is a fair price to rent the Sun Bowl to NMSU. If Texas had the same COVID restrictions and governor as NM, UTEP would be relocating to other states as well.

Last edited:
That @NMSTATEAGGIES and Tarleton St. were going to play football on Sunday at the Sun Bowl, according to Lou @RomanoCBS4.

They could probably get a better monetary deal from Canutillo High if there are no fans anyway.
Probably psychological. HC Martin stated to local sports media he has 45 new scholi players he wants to get experienced (during live games). Just reading the tea leaves in his comments that may include a college stadium facility. Any local El Paso school district could have supported their games since Santa Fe said "No!" to their home NMSU field, but they chose $20k/game at UTEP. To me Martin's decision was tactical.

Probably psychological. HC Martin stated to local sports media he has 45 new scholi players he wants to get experienced (during live games). Just reading the tea leaves in his comments that may include a college stadium facility. Any local El Paso school district could have supported their games since Santa Fe said "No!" to their home NMSU field, but they chose $20k/game at UTEP. To me Martin's decision was tactical.

20k is a bargain. They're still an fbs school who a member of a new fcs conference. Optics aren't great playing spring football, however they would have been 100 times worse if they are playing in a high school stadium. Mocia is desperately trying to leave the WAC and he understands optics matter.

Last edited:
20k is a bargain. They're still an fbs school who a member of a new fcs conference. Optics aren't great playing spring football, however they would have been 100 times worse if they are playing in a high school stadium. Mocia is desperately trying to leave the WAC and he understands optics matter.
If NMSU athletes and coaches were a freezing central Texan, Mocia is the needed natural gas and electricity for NMSU athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT