ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Battle of I-10 in trouble?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001

I think NMSU football is done for. These OOC contracts are air tight, UCLA and Florida will not pay because P5 are trimming programs, too.

Aggie AD states canceling their game but playing conference games "does not sit well with him" even if the game falls under contract clauses for cancelations. NMSU lawyers are looking into it.

NMSU has no money to fight it and no way in hell will Santa Fe take up the cause.

Reactions: unihorn
The game might be played. I really don’t know what will happen. There’s pro and cons for both teams to play and not play.

The NMSU/UTEP game should be a game that both schools fight to keep. Logistically it just makes sense since there is minimal travel involved, much less than any game either team will play this year. Also as a courtesy to both schools. As much as I hate NMSU we need each other because we’re both bottom feeders and it’s one of the few games that either team can win.

If the season is played, looks unlikely, UNM and NSMU are going to have a tough time with the New Mexico rule of teams having to quarantine for 14 days prior to visiting NM or NM teams quarantined for 14 days when returning from a road game.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
They need to move this game to rivalry week and change the name to 1 & 10. Cuz both teams would usually enter the contest at 1-10.

The current season shows why its ridiculous to go independent. If that’s the route you want UTEP to take they should just drop all sports.
After all it would only hurt the 200 or so Students who get scholarships. And the vendors and clubs that make money from the concessions. And the people working security during the games. And the students working the ticket center. And etc etc etc

The current season shows why its ridiculous to go independent. If that’s the route you want UTEP to take they should just drop all sports.
After all it would only hurt the 200 or so Students who get scholarships. And the vendors and clubs that make money from the concessions. And the people working security during the games. And the students working the ticket center. And etc etc etc

Why? Nothing has been decided yet. There’s enough Independents to go around and play a few games. There will probably not be a new pandemic every year either.

UTEP might have to drop all sports anyway. You think they’re sitting on a pile of cash right now??

Why? Nothing has been decided yet. There’s enough Independents to go around and play a few games. There will probably not be a new pandemic every year either.

UTEP might have to drop all sports anyway. You think they’re sitting on a pile of cash right now??

Notre Dame at NMSU

"UTEP and NMSU should fight to keep" scenario is up to NMSU this time. Over fifteen years ago Stull nixed it but the pushback was hard and he brought it back.

This is different. UTEP wants it but NMSU says losing out on Florida & UCLA will kill the program and other NMSU programs.

Can't put a bullseye on UTEP's back on this one but maybe NMSU can drop to FCS? It's still a rivalry if FCS.

"UTEP and NMSU should fight to keep" scenario is up to NMSU this time. Over fifteen years ago Stull nixed it but the pushback was hard and he brought it back.

This is different. UTEP wants it but NMSU says losing out on Florida & UCLA will kill the program and other NMSU programs.

Can't put a bullseye on UTEP's back on this one but maybe NMSU can drop to FCS? It's still a rivalry if FCS.

If NMSU drops to FCS, they would likely lose home games vs UNM and UTEP. I really doubt those two teams would play at a FCS school, when they could go play Ohio St for $1,000,000

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Easily accomplished if UTEP went WAC/Indy!!!
NMSU could possibly be on the verge of losing FBS and you still think we should go independent? For someone that constantly calls out other stupid opinions, you have given one of the most ridiculous opinions ever written on here. This consequences of this pandemic for collegiate sports proves that we need a conference.

NMSU could possibly be on the verge of losing FBS and you still think we should go independent? For someone that constantly calls out other stupid opinions, you have given one of the most ridiculous opinions ever written on here. This consequences of this pandemic for collegiate sports proves that we need a conference.

1. It’s kind of a running joke. Corona and I have gone back and forth with it.

2. What evidence do you have that suggests NMSU “is on the verge of losing FBS”?

3. UTEP does not win conference championships or even divisions, nor do they play in bowl games. They’re consistently ranked at/near the bottom in recruiting rankings. So tell me what good being in CUSA is doing for the program?

4. Nothing has been decided yet for the 2020 season. How can you shit on NMSU/UTEPs schedule right now, when everything is up in the air?

UTEP is at the minimum for Div 1 sports right now. Unless the ncaa is forced to change that requirement due to the covid issue, then UTEP cutting sports would drop the Miners out of Div 1.

I wouldn’t worry about it or Title IX like AB asked about earlier. 2020 is not a normal year. The NCAA will be flexible with things like this.

1. It’s kind of a running joke. Corona and I have gone back and forth with it.

2. What evidence do you have that suggests NMSU “is on the verge of losing FBS”?

3. UTEP does not win conference championships or even divisions, nor do they play in bowl games. They’re consistently ranked at/near the bottom in recruiting rankings. So tell me what good being in CUSA is doing for the program?

4. Nothing has been decided yet for the 2020 season. How can you shit on NMSU/UTEPs schedule right now, when everything is up in the air?
2. don't take statement out of context if you're going to quote "could possibly be on the verge of losing FBS"
3. CUSA has stability in scheduling games (if the season is even played), while NMSU is depending on other teams and their conferences
4. Where did I shit on anyone's schedule?

Imo leaving cusa for independence is the equivalent of a minimum wage worker quitting his job for unemployment. He knows he will never stop being broke so he gives up on life. Instead of working hard for the promotion and raise he recognizes he's a lowlife lifer and would rather have the government support him.

Imo leaving cusa for independence is the equivalent of a minimum wage worker quitting his job for unemployment. He knows he will never stop being broke so he gives up on life. Instead of working hard for the promotion and raise he recognizes he's a lowlife lifer and would rather have the government support him.

BYU left MWC for Independence
UConn left AAC for Independence

Did they give up on life?

BYU left MWC for Independence
UConn left AAC for Independence

Did they give up on life?
Don’t be silly. UCONN left to join the big East and BYU because they didn’t want to be in a G5 conference while their instate rival joined a P5. You’re smarter than that. Come with stronger arguments.

2. don't take statement out of context if you're going to quote "could possibly be on the verge of losing FBS"
3. CUSA has stability in scheduling games (if the season is even played), while NMSU is depending on other teams and their conferences
4. Where did I shit on anyone's schedule?

What evidence do you have where they “could possibly” lose FBS status?

How do you know NMSU will be unable to secure games for this season? There’s a solid amount of Independents, they will be fine.

This season is an anomaly, not every year type thing. At least we can hope.

What I want to read on twittersphere from local sports media is something like "Hey Crucens! Your school is in jeopardy of losing the football program unless UCLA and Florida come through! Call or email their respective AD, be kind and courteous, and say to keep the game scheduled.".

This is not up to UTEP, it will hurt UTEP too, but this is not their rodeo and literal legal jurisdication.

Reactions: picks up

How do you know NMSU will be unable to secure games for this season? There’s a solid amount of Independents, they will be fine.

I have no evidence but we have all heard the rumors that NMSU can't sustain independence. They are trying to get into a conference, any conference, for a reason. Revenue from this season is likely going to be down and could have a lasting impact.

I don't know that NMSU will be unable to secure games the same way you don't know that they will be able to.

I agree that this season is an anomaly but it could be the straw that broke the camel's back. We'll have to wait and see.

My point is that I would rather be in a bad CUSA than be independent - NMSU would too.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Don’t be silly. UCONN left to join the big East and BYU because they didn’t want to be in a G5 conference while their instate rival joined a P5. You’re smarter than that. Come with stronger arguments.

Just like you believe that MountainStar will build a stadium for the Locos without tax payer money; despite all evidence to the contrary. I don’t believe UConn moved just for basketball and BYU didn’t want to be a G5 team, even though their basketball team joined the WCC.

I have no evidence but we have all heard the rumors that NMSU can't sustain independence. They are trying to get into a conference, any conference, for a reason. Revenue from this season is likely going to be down and could have a lasting impact.

I don't know that NMSU will be unable to secure games the same way you don't know that they will be able to.

I agree that this season is an anomaly but it could be the straw that broke the camel's back. We'll have to wait and see.

My point is that I would rather be in a bad CUSA than be independent - NMSU would too.

Revenue will be down for all teams, not just NMSU.

Yes, they will be able to secure games. The independent teams already said they would work together if conferences cancelled their games. So there is ZERO chance they will play ZERO games because they can’t find opponents.

I have said before, UTEP should explore it and without real monetary information about the true bottom line of Indy vs CUSA, I would not 100% say UTEP should be an Independent. I would rather have UTEP basketball in the WAC and being a football Independent is what comes with it.

church
Just like you believe that MountainStar will build a stadium for the Locos without tax payer money; despite all evidence to the contrary. I don’t believe UConn moved just for basketball and BYU didn’t want to be a G5 team, even though their basketball team joined the WCC.
Your arguments get weaker by the post. Uconn paid 17 million to join a basketball only league. Draw your own conclusions.

BYU made it public why they left the MW.

The only evidence of a city funded stadium is an old article from 2016. At this point this quote is more recent and mentions nothing of city help.

”Hesitant to project too far down the road, he suggested that the long-term plan does include a soccer-specific stadium in or near downtown. “It is something that we very publicly want to do and have every intention of doing…. We hope that the baseball stadium, as great as it is, is a temporary fix. We’re thinking maybe three years…. The good news is that this stadium was built in less than 365 days, so when we do move forward, it will move pretty quick, and if it’s anything like the baseball stadium, it will be awesome.”

church
Your arguments get weaker by the post. Uconn paid 17 million to join a basketball only league. Draw your own conclusions.

BYU made it public why they left the MW.

The only evidence of a city funded stadium is an old article from 2016. At this point this quote is more recent and mentions nothing of city help.

”Hesitant to project too far down the road, he suggested that the long-term plan does include a soccer-specific stadium in or near downtown. “It is something that we very publicly want to do and have every intention of doing…. We hope that the baseball stadium, as great as it is, is a temporary fix. We’re thinking maybe three years…. The good news is that this stadium was built in less than 365 days, so when we do move forward, it will move pretty quick, and if it’s anything like the baseball stadium, it will be awesome.”

Also mentions nothing of them paying for it.....

Also mentions nothing of them paying for it.....
Overall weak debate from you today. You can't defend BYU and UCONN going independent and you have to bring up a completely different subject.

You and Fili are tied for the stupidest idea on here.

I dont know how NMSU and UNM or any other football schools in NM can play under the guidelines right now.

The evidence for NMSU possibly losing FBS status or at least the threat of that happening, is in UTEP2STEPs earlier posts in this thread. The NMSU AD says in the article:

“I think not having the money from those two games would be a potential knock-out blow,” said NMSU athletic director Mario Moccia. “That’s 2.75 million dollars, there’s no remedy for that, no cuts for that, there’s no trimming for that. we’re at the minimum for sports so it’s a pretty serious scenario if those games aren’t played.”

Add to that the slashing of state money to UNM and NMSU and you can see that merely replacing those games with the likes of UMass and UConn would not come close to making up the monetary loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT