ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Eyman de-commits

Whoever the new coach is going to be has his work cut out for him on the recruiting front. What is that, about 5 or 6 scholarships to give now? And how disgusting is it that UTRGV now has a better rpi?

I would anticipate the number of rides available to be more than 5-6 when it is all said and done. The real issue beyond the large number of scholarships available is going to be the lack of impact players to fill the slots due to the timing of Floyd's departure. The early signing period for basketball is critical for the signing of the best high school players. With the new coach coming on board so late, most of those guys are already gone. Therefore, the new coach will need to look for late qualifiers, jucos, and D1 transfers. It is still possible to get a few impact guys, but it would be nice if the new coach has a few guys in tow with him.

This is a clear sign that Coach Johnson will not stay as our head basketball
coach. It will be very difficult for him to fill in the gaps. We will need
someone with strong recruiting ties in Cali, Texas, Chicago and Memphis
area.

Go Miners...

Reactions: MinerManiac
It would be nice if Utep started recruiting Australia. Australia is starting to produce some good talent. St Marys does good there.

Well no crap. I don't care if all 13 kids are from El Paso, just as long as they're the best recruits out there.

Kuglers team is full of El Paso kids and the team went 0-12. He could have given those scholarships to other players and maybe it would have worked out different. He chose the wrong players.

Wayne Portalatin was from Memphis wasn't he? If Barbee would have recruited more hims instead of Randy, Julyan, and Arnette how good would the bball be?

If someone can really play, bring them in. Recruiting someone because of their location is stupid, like Kugler.

Well the best 13 recruits from El Paso wouldn’t make a Division 1 basketball roster.

No, Wayne was from Pennsylvania.

Certain states and cities are hotbeds for top recruits.

Well no crap. I don't care if all 13 kids are from El Paso, just as long as they're the best recruits out there.

Kuglers team is full of El Paso kids and the team went 0-12. He could have given those scholarships to other players and maybe it would have worked out different. He chose the wrong players.

Wayne Portalatin was from Memphis wasn't he? If Barbee would have recruited more hims instead of Randy, Julyan, and Arnette how good would the bball be?

If someone can really play, bring them in. Recruiting someone because of their location is stupid, like Kugler.

Nobody is saying recruit a kid BECAUSE he is from a certain location.

Certain places just produce more talent than other places. Thereare recruiting hotbeds, such as the cities and states that HaskinsFan suggested. Simple enough.

Edit: Next time I'll read the thread all the way through before responding to someone's post. I just saw that I reiterated pretty much what you said jcorona. Even used the same terminology..."hotbed".

Yeah I know that. However, Larry Bird was from French Lick, Indiana and Steph Curry was offered a walk-on spot by Virginia Tech. There's others out there. I don't care where they come from, just as long as they can play. Simple enough.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Yeah I know that. However, Larry Bird was from French Lick, Indiana and Steph Curry was offered a walk-on spot by Virginia Tech. There's others out there. I don't care where they come from, just as long as they can play. Simple enough.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're not as unique as you'd like to think you are. I'd venture to guess that most posters on here think along the same lines as the bold statement up above.

That does not change the fact that there are certain areas on the map where a much higher output of talent is produced. I can't imagine you'd want our coaching staff searching the cracks and crevices of French Lick for very long. Remember, limited recruiting budget.

I've already stated you're right on that part. Of course I wouldn't want them spending lots of time in French Lick. Just saying, it doesn't matter where these dudes come from.

I don't care where the recruits come from. Not sure why anyone else would either.

Ok, let's simplify this then. Again, it is my assumption that most posters on this forum wouldn't care where our players come from...provided they can ball.

However, we have to allocate resources (money and time) to find those players. There are places where that money and time is probably more wisely spent. That's what Haskins Fan was alluding to. Why "argue" that?

I'm only pursuing this "debate" with you because you seem to have this need to be so damn contentious about everything.

Ok man. There's no debate needed. Just said, doesn't matter where they come from. So we don't need ties in Cali, Detroit, Australia or Juarez. Who cares. Just need to get the right players. That's it, nothing more. Bye

Reactions: WordMiner
It’s like saying I want to buy the best fruit and meat available. Would you go shopping at Aldi’s, HEB, Walmart, Big 8, Food King, or Whole Foods?

Nobody is saying recruit a kid BECAUSE he is from a certain location.

Certain places just produce more talent than other places. Thereare recruiting hotbeds, such as the cities and states that HaskinsFan suggested. Simple enough.

Edit: Next time I'll read the thread all the way through before responding to someone's post. I just saw that I reiterated pretty much what you said jcorona. Even used the same terminology..."hotbed".
It all depends. I have a kid at a catholic university that has produces a nice list of (fairly current) NBA players but yet that college can't even contend for the conference title.

It's the coach. Plain and simple. Haskins, BG and Barbee has shown the empirical proof to El Paso that the coach makes all the difference in the world.

It’s like saying I want to buy the best fruit and meat available. Would you go shopping at Aldi’s, HEB, Walmart, Big 8, Food King, or Whole Foods?
R&S butchers on Copia are pretty good at serving up some great, cut to your liking, bologna at a cheap price.:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT