ADVERTISEMENT

Kai Locksley on twitter

I have no idea how KL was ultimately treated while at UTEP, however it seems to me he was provided every opportunity to succeed. Whether it was being given a second chance after a very serious arrest, or whether it was that he was given so many chances to succeed on the field, I’m not sure how much room he has to call UTEP out. I think his true colors came out for all of us to see. I don’t know...just my opinion.

If anything, maybe he should be flattered that someone still sees him as relevant by using his image to sell tickets. I’m sure it’s going to prove to not be all that effective anyway.

Did they photoshop his tattoos off?

hi-res-e4b2d9688a404d20a38f75a573a193c2_crop_north.jpg

Who cares? I didn’t even know it was him on the poster. Dude had a gun on him, in El Paso. One of the safest cities in the world. He grew up with a good family. His ****ing dad makes 6 figures for god sakes. He’s no gangster. Tells you a lot about a guy who packs heat when his dad is making bank.

The only thing worse than his complaining was actually paying to see him play QB here. I hope he puts his degree to good use and I hope no UTEP coach ever uses him to mentor any QBs here.

It's like a relationship. It ended and not the way either party imagined. But the kid got a chance and being a scholarship athlete, he probably got a "get out of jail free card" out of it too.

Tough kid who played through injuries, great athlete, but it's hard to be a successful D1 QB when you have no touch or accuracy throwing the ball.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Locksley seemed to have great potential when he signed with UTEP. Very good stats in jc and jc all american. Just didn't translate to D 1 ball. I do think he is self centered and has an inflated ego.
He was our best QB last season and I'll even say that he played well enough that we should have won a couple more games.

24 of 38 passing against NMSU for 358 yards with 2 TDs vs 1 Int, AND 103 yards rushing with another TD, are you kidding me? But NMSU, yes NMSU, scored 44 points.

The problems with UTEP football go way deeper than one player you're trying to scapegoat.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
He was our best QB last season and I'll even say that he played well enough that we should have won a couple more games.

24 of 38 passing against NMSU for 358 yards with 2 TDs vs 1 Int, AND 103 yards rushing with another TD, are you kidding me? But NMSU, yes NMSU, scored 44 points.

The problems with UTEP football go way deeper than one player you're trying to scapegoat.

Definitely wasn’t his fault we lost to NMSU, but how many open receivers did he over or under throw that caused turnovers and missed opportunities. The QB and Head coach bear the most responsibility for wins and losses.

It's not scapegoating to say he didn't turn out to be as good as we thought when he was recruited. Of course the 11 losses were not all his fault but we needed a more accurate and more consistant qb.

Who cares? I didn’t even know it was him on the poster. Dude had a gun on him, in El Paso. One of the safest cities in the world. He grew up with a good family. His ****ing dad makes 6 figures for god sakes. He’s no gangster. Tells you a lot about a guy who packs heat when his dad is making bank.
Killer Mike says we all gotta strap up! But after his brothers murder, I’d be carrying a cuete too! Especially if my pops was successful. Kubler Ross says we all grieve differently.

Locksley seemed to have great potential when he signed with UTEP. Very good stats in jc and jc all american. Just didn't translate to D 1 ball. I do think he is self centered and has an inflated ego.

Metz outplayed him and earned the job that preseason. Dismal pulling Metz after one mistake, albeit a horrendous throw and pick that first game, convinced me he promised the job to Kai to sign him. We win more games that year if Metz was the guy all year.

Metz was a good, not great, but good college qb. I feel he hurt UTEP by his taking on LB and DB's head on which resulted in injury after injury and UTEP had no one of his caliber as back up. Woulda, coulda, shoulda but it's all distant memory

Metz was a good, not great, but good college qb. I feel he hurt UTEP by his taking on LB and DB's head on which resulted in injury after injury and UTEP had no one of his caliber as back up. Woulda, coulda, shoulda but it's all distant memory

Woulda, coulda, shoulda? Who else recruited Ryan Metz? He was never going to be anything but a serviceable quarterback in FBS.

Did you guys see this? It seems like he feels slighted by the program. Thoughts?
I feel slighted that he disrespected our community by waving a gun at someone and driving faded, the guy was a problem the minute he came on board.

First year would never show up to summer workouts, plus the gun incident before last year, just a mess and its on Dimel for putting up with it for so long, shows the lack of discipline this program has under Dimel and real shit show behind the scenes. I will forever remember Dimel bringing in a washed up WR to play QB and embarrass the program off and on the field.

Wish the memory of Locksley playing QB for UTEP would go away, and hope he never reps UTEP ever again.

I generally role my eyes at people who act like clowns and then bitch about their opportunities after. Always blaming others for their failures.

Weird because he seemed very intelligent in his interviews and had a lot of reason to succeed. Acting a fool was probably fake for him, but there could certainly be some real mental issues that originated from younger experiences.

The only other explanation is that he thought too highly of himself before actually doing anything. He thought he could get away with stuff (and he did). Dimel should have cut ties with him after the gun incident.

I thought he was a decent player. He had a strong arm and was a good runner at this level. Maybe the offense and/or the players around him kept him down. Maybe injuries slowed him down. Maybe it was his inaccurate arm. Maybe he kept himself down. Probably all of the above.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT