ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas State's Alex Delton transfers to UTEP

If he does anything more than hold a clipboard at TCU I will be shocked. I thoughts that's what he would do here.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Good point TCU definitely has us beat there.
We need some current students to vouch for this, when I'd go to Kugler's weekly luncheon I'd see a handful of legit baddies strolling around campus.....I think UTEP is underrated in this regard lol

Bigwood, ever since I had my cataract surgery, there is no underrating the scenery at my alma mater. My aging eyes tell me the estrogen pool is plenty deep. Can I get an "amen"!

Bigwood, ever since I had my cataract surgery, there is no underrating the scenery at my alma mater. My aging eyes tell me the estrogen pool is plenty deep. Can I get an "amen"!
Amen-brother-gif.gif

AMEN

Brandon Jones is the winner from this news. With Locksley still recovering he should get every first team snap in the spring. It will also be interesting to Goodwin in live action. Hes the future, and with the poor depth at qb he should get a lot of good experience. If it goes as planned he should go into next spring number 1 on the depth chart.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Brandon Jones is the winner from this news. With Locksley still recovering he should get every first team snap in the spring. It will also be interesting to Goodwin in live action. Hes the future, and with the poor depth at qb he should get a lot of good experience. If it goes as planned he should go into next spring number 1 on the depth chart.
I'm just going by social media, which is not a good benchmark, but Goodwin appears to be putting in the work. I'm really liking this new recruit. Good grades, good work ethic, good talent.

Reactions: axingfools1
I'm just going by social media, which is not a good benchmark, but Goodwin appears to be putting in the work. I'm really liking this new recruit. Good grades, good work ethic, good talent.
Did you see that BIG knee brace?

Did you see that BIG knee brace?

I would not worry about that. Every UTEP QB last year wore a knee brace on their front leg in every game. I believe that this must be a mandatory requirement from the UTEP coaching staff to protect them.

Look at this picture below and every single QB is wearing a huge brace on their left leg:

Reactions: jdubb66
We're all interested in seeing what this Goodwin kid from the Houston area can do. I am especially keen on seeing him perform behind an O-line that stays somewhat intact next season.

Consider this: As with any player, Goodwin could play in four games this upcoming season -- and still have all four years of eligibility left. Four. With the potential upside of this youngster, think ahead. Yessss.

We're all interested in seeing what this Goodwin kid from the Houston area can do. I am especially keen on seeing him perform behind an O-line that stays somewhat intact next season.

Consider this: As with any player, Goodwin could play in four games this upcoming season -- and still have all four years of eligibility left. Four. With the potential upside of this youngster, think ahead. Yessss.
Maybe this is for another thread, but you bring up in an interesting point.

So with Kai nursing surgically repaired ankles, if you're Dimel, do you give Goodwin a chance to win the starting job in camp, or give Kai the job, develop Goodwin and let him take over the final four games if UTEP is playing for pride down the stretch of the season?

Maybe this is for another thread, but you bring up in an interesting point.

So with Kai nursing surgically repaired ankles, if you're Dimel, do you give Goodwin a chance to win the starting job in camp, or give Kai the job, develop Goodwin and let him take over the final four games if UTEP is playing for pride down the stretch of the season?

That's an interesting question. In this situation with a losing coach who desperately needs to win usually I say go with veteran. However, in this situation we have one qb on the roster with d-1 passing ability as a qb. That is Jones and he is very raw. Locksley cant stretch a defense vertically. His accuracy is awful. You can teach QBs a lot of things but you cant teach accuracy. Torres couldn't start at a d1 school. I'm glad hes getting a free education and I hope he takes advantage of it. Haven't seen alot of Buckholtz honestly he really can be much worse through the air than what we have. He might be good.

Last year when Metz got in the middle of the season the offense looked dynamic. It looked better than it had in years. When we have a competent qb back there the recievers look alot better. We dont need great just someone who can make basic reads and progressions and make simple throws.

If Goodwin goes through spring and grasps the offense shows he can read defenses, make progressions and stretch the field vertically the Dimel should go with him.

I can’t buy into the hype. Why didn’t more FBS schools offer him? He’s from Houston Texas and only the two worst programs in the state made offers. I hope he’s the future and Dimel saw something no one else did.

Well there goes Delton. He would have gotten a shot here.

I am a Frog fan as well as a Miner fan and Delton never had a shot. I wish he would have stayed committed to UTEP. TCU had two 4star QB's and a 3rd transferred in after Delton, so he was only going to be a mentor to the young guys. Everything my Frog insiders said was Delton was an amazing leader and great scrambler but can't make developed reads as a QB.

I am a Frog fan as well as a Miner fan and Delton never had a shot. I wish he would have stayed committed to UTEP. TCU had two 4star QB's and a 3rd transferred in after Delton, so he was only going to be a mentor to the young guys. Everything my Frog insiders said was Delton was an amazing leader and great scrambler but can't make developed reads as a QB.
sounds like #1 on the Miners roster, minus the leadership and drug and terrorist threats charges.

sounds like #1 on the Miners roster, minus the leadership and drug and terrorist threats charges.
If Dimel can find his next Freeman (KSU QB 2006-08) this offense will be much, much better. This particular RPO, aka-The Pistol, that Dimel runs is dependent on making those right reads. If Dimel does not find one, his career is short lived. I love the Spread offense but RPO offense is the soup of the day.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Dimel never coached Freeman. Dimel was coaching at Arizona during 2006-2008.
Yes I know. But Freeman was in that offense Dimel employs and Freeman ran it with precision. When Kaepernick was at Nevada Coach Alt ran the same offense and Kaepernick ran it well. Both QB's took their respective teams to the top of the conference. That was my point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT