ADVERTISEMENT

Kap (ESPN600) had the best take of the night

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"UTEP had them on the ropes and didn't deliver the knock out punch". [ESPN600 Miner Talk post game show]

Bingo. You go full Mayweather or Canelo with a left upper cut; however, UTEP went with body blows to the ribs which knocked Kansas' wind out but they stayed standing.

Reminds me of the Lazcano vs Hatton fight. El Paso kid at the Champs house. Had him badly hurt and getting ready to drop him when the ref stopped the fight so Hatton could tie his shoe.

Reminds me of the Lazcano vs Hatton fight. El Paso kid at the Champs house. Had him badly hurt and getting ready to drop him when the ref stopped the fight so Hatton could tie his shoe.
So the refs are to blame for last night ? Did the refs cause all of those turnovers?

Refs don't cause turnovers, but when they allow hand slips, body checks and reward that style of play w/o impunity the results do cause turnovers. Money and prestige has altered all college sports and alters the playing field no matter what the sport. When you are a UTEP and step onto the court to play a Kansas or a Kentucky or a Duke et al you start with a huge disadvantage.

Well I'm talking about a fight in response to 2step boxing analogy. There are several posters on the game thread that can argue with you concerning the refs. I blame the guards for our defeat.

Refs don't cause turnovers, but when they allow hand slips, body checks and reward that style of play w/o impunity the results do cause turnovers. Money and prestige has altered all college sports and alters the playing field no matter what the sport. When you are a UTEP and step onto the court to play a Kansas or a Kentucky or a Duke et al you start with a huge disadvantage.
William's game was definitely impacted by some of those calls. After he picked up his 4th he didn't even want to breath around #33.

There was some choking down the stretch, no doubt. Some guys forcing things, thought Tydus and a couple really bad mistiakes on the offensive end.

I still am in shock that we couldn't buy a basket, we were turning the ball over, obviously nervous. Then we have a chance, down 2, to set up and take a 3 point shot at the buzzer to win. CALL A TIMEOUT. Set something up, settle the nerves. If you were to tell me we can beat Kansas at the buzzer on the road, I'd take it everyday of the week. We were not trading baskets at that point, we were on FULL TILT. Rodney Terry should have taken a timeout. He choked. If you're 20 years old, I can understand making a mistake, but not when you're a veteren coach who was an assistant in the Big 12 for a decade and a Head Coach for a Decade.

Anyway, looking back, proud how hard our guys played and proud of the type of basketball we are playing. This team has come a long way.

There was some choking down the stretch, no doubt. Some guys forcing things, thought Tydus and a couple really bad mistiakes on the offensive end.

I still am in shock that we couldn't buy a basket, we were turning the ball over, obviously nervous. Then we have a chance, down 2, to set up and take a 3 point shot at the buzzer to win. CALL A TIMEOUT. Set something up, settle the nerves. If you were to tell me we can beat Kansas at the buzzer on the road, I'd take it everyday of the week. We were not trading baskets at that point, we were on FULL TILT. Rodney Terry should have taken a timeout. He choked. If you're 20 years old, I can understand making a mistake, but not when you're a veteren coach who was an assistant in the Big 12 for a decade and a Head Coach for a Decade.

Anyway, looking back, proud how hard our guys played and proud of the type of basketball we are playing. This team has come a long way.
Here's my question. Do we have to cross the half court line first in order to inbound from halfcourt? To me thats when you take the t.o. Wasn't given that opportunity since Boum fumbled the ball within milliseconds of crossing the line.

Was kinda a repeat of the Southern Miss game earlier. When teams really come after them they often can't adjust or they panic. That last turnover by Boum was pure panic.

Reactions: Lil_Train

Tydus had five blocks and his defense was good, not shut down great but good.

"Rodney Terry should have taken a timeout."

CRT addressed that directly with Teicher. He got it from his mentor Barnes who was a "Let'em figure it out" [at times] type coach.

I see at 21.1 he crosses the line. Takes one dribble and at 20.2 right outside the 3 line he losses the ball.

That's on Boum. Zero control or iq. Even if Terry takes a t.o and sets up a play do we really believe he's going to outcoach Self on the last play?

Reactions: Lil_Train
That's on Boum. Zero control or iq. Even if Terry takes a t.o and sets up a play do we really believe he's going to outcoach Self on the last play?

I agree its on Boum, but Terry is the one getting paid $750,000. Terry should have seen that 3 of his players were expecting timeout and didn't run down court. Terry should have thought, if Kansas scores here, I need to get Tydus out of the game. Terry should have seen in Real Time that the numbers weren't in his favor in a 1vs4. Terry knew that Kansas had to take a shot and we had the final posession.

Furthermore, IF he has that theory that the team figures it out. Then it should be something they have been over 1000 times in practice. Last Shot. We have the ball. We inbound, what are we going to do? Where does everyone go? Who brings the ball up? Play with poise, dont be out of control.

Players are going to try and make a play, but he is paid alot of money to make sure he puts his team in a position to give them a chance. When no one ran down the court with Boum, we had no chance.

Watch Self Right after Boum Turns it over. He's not clapping like a fan, he's yelling the inbounds play, he setting up the last 18 seconds because his team knows exactly what to do.

I agree but it literally looks like Boum is out of control and not on the same page as the rest of the team. He tried being the hero. That's great that he wants the ball when the going gets rough but he's not the guy I want with the game on the line.

Tydus had five blocks and his defense was good, not shut down great but good.

"Rodney Terry should have taken a timeout."

CRT addressed that directly with Teicher. He got it from his mentor Barnes who was a "Let'em figure it out" [at times] type coach.

Phil Jackson was notorious for that philosophy.

I agree its on Boum, but Terry is the one getting paid $750,000. Terry should have seen that 3 of his players were expecting timeout and didn't run down court. Terry should have thought, if Kansas scores here, I need to get Tydus out of the game. Terry should have seen in Real Time that the numbers weren't in his favor in a 1vs4. Terry knew that Kansas had to take a shot and we had the final posession.

Furthermore, IF he has that theory that the team figures it out. Then it should be something they have been over 1000 times in practice. Last Shot. We have the ball. We inbound, what are we going to do? Where does everyone go? Who brings the ball up? Play with poise, dont be out of control.

Players are going to try and make a play, but he is paid alot of money to make sure he puts his team in a position to give them a chance. When no one ran down the court with Boum, we had no chance.
CRT hasn’t figured out that his players still haven’t figured it out.

I agree but it literally looks like Boum is out of control and not on the same page as the rest of the team. He tried being the hero. That's great that he wants the ball when the going gets rough but he's not the guy I want with the game on the line.
I want him with the ball in his hands to have the last shot...but not bringing the ball down the court.

Boum is a big part of the “how” and “why” we were in this game with a minute remaining. Calling his own shot clutch is kinda over the top though.

William's game was definitely impacted by some of those calls. After he picked up his 4th he didn't even want to breath around #33.

Exactly. They were "letting them play" until it looked like that UTEP might win. Then they called some ticky-tacky fouls against us which resulted in Williams not even trying on the defensive end anymore. Nor was he as aggressive on the offensive end which led Boum to try doing too much and playing out-of-control.

There were just down-stream effects of the bullshit calls against us late in the game. It took away all of our momentum, all of our aggressiveness, all of our hustle. And it showed in the last 5 minutes of the game.

I want him with the ball in his hands to have the last shot...but not bringing the ball down the court.

Boum is a big part of the “how” and “why” we were in this game with a minute remaining. Calling his own shot clutch is kinda over the top though.
Agree but I also think he was a big part of why we lost. Too many missed shots and turnovers. The last play was the icing on the cake.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Real simple they got very careless with the ball and we're out of coutrol the last 4 or 5 minutes. Kansas put the pressure on and Utep broke the pressure, however still panicked into taking I'll advised shots and passes. This is 75% on Terry. He should have taken time to refocus everybody and remind them what got them the 15 point lead. Also there should've been a better play when Utep was down 64-62 then Boum running down the court into triple coverage and getting stuck.

Agree but I also think he was a big part of why we lost. Too many missed shots and turnovers. The last play was the icing on the cake.
Yep, definitely a double edged sword with Boum it seems. At the 1:30 mark Boum was fouled on a solid dribble drive move to the basket. He stepped up and made both free throws to tie the game. So he did show some moxie in that instance. Without other great scoring options outside Williams, it puts a ton of pressure on him. Not an excuse for his last turnover, but we need other guards to be able to step up as well.

Exactly. They were "letting them play" until it looked like that UTEP might win. Then they called some ticky-tacky fouls against us which resulted in Williams not even trying on the defensive end anymore. Nor was he as aggressive on the offensive end which led Boum to try doing too much and playing out-of-control.

There were just down-stream effects of the bullshit calls against us late in the game. It took away all of our momentum, all of our aggressiveness, all of our hustle. And it showed in the last 5 minutes of the game.
Amen! 100% agree.

If you look at boum on the final play yeah that wasn’t very smart but it looked like the Kansas player knocked the ball out from boum from behind .... did anyone see that?

Reactions: Miners1991
If you look at boum on the final play yeah that wasn’t very smart but it looked like the Kansas player knocked the ball out from boum from behind .... did anyone see that?

The ball WAS knocked out of Boum's hands. But them Boum reached out and touched the ball before it went out-of-bounds.

The ball WAS knocked out of Boum's hands. But them Boum reached out and touched the ball before it went out-of-bounds.

It still showed a lack of ball handling on his part and the coaches should know better because if he’s that bad of a ball handler me may they should have had something drawn up to where all he does is catch and shoot.

Like Kap said to start the show.

If Boum goes down and makes an easy layup, all that does is give Kansas the ball with 17-18 seconds left and the last possession to win the game or take it to overtime. Even scoring quickly was a bad option.

We had the last possession to win the game and did not get into a set play or use our timeout. We had no plan for that situation.

Boum took it down like there was 2.5 seconds left.

That one play wasn't the difference maker, but it was a reflection on what a horrible coach Terry is.

It still showed a lack of ball handling on his part and the coaches should know better because if he’s that bad of a ball handler me may they should have had something drawn up to where all he does is catch and shoot.
Then the play previous he lost it by trying to pass into 3 jayhawks.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
"UTEP had them on the ropes and didn't deliver the knock out punch". [ESPN600 Miner Talk post game show]

Bingo. You go full Mayweather or Canelo with a left upper cut; however, UTEP went with body blows to the ribs which knocked Kansas' wind out but they stayed standing.
Depends. A great liver, kidney or solar plexus shot and its all over.
UTEP is like the fighter that throws a ton of punches but has no game plan on why or where they are throwing them. Eventually they are doomed to fail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT