ADVERTISEMENT

Kap (ESPN600) had the best take of the night

Honestly there aren't too many coaches in our conference that have road wins at a top basketball program. Our top two rated teams got clobbered at Arkansas and LSU. Does that make them horrible coaches for getting blown out?

Reactions: Taco1977
Too much negativity. Our team, though far from.perfect is playing much better. I appreciate the improvement and who knows maybe we win a couple of games next week.
You are right, and yet we are conditioned to settle for what we are seeing from them. Where is the bar now? If Terry wins a game in the CUSA tournament, does he get another year extension? Does Dimel if he beats Bethune Cookman?

As long as our expectations don't change and we continue to put pressure on the school as we are getting way less than we should from both football and basketball. There is absolutely no reason we should be doing this badly.

Eventually even the most seasoned fan gets fed up at some point. So, yes, negativity is in the mix, but it isn't like it is not deserved and has been building up as they continue to under achieve year in and year out.

Honestly there aren't too many coaches in our conference that have road wins at a top basketball program. Our top two rated teams got clobbered at Arkansas and LSU. Does that make them horrible coaches for getting blown out?
No it just says that we are in a terrible conference and finishing in the bottom half of it really says a lot. If we were in the top 4 every single year, then you can excuse that. But finishing at the bottom of it every single year is really frustrating.

You are right, and yet we are conditioned to settle for what we are seeing from them. Where is the bar now? If Terry wins a game in the CUSA tournament, does he get another year extension? Does Dimel if he beats Bethune Cookman?

As long as our expectations don't change and we continue to put pressure on the school as we are getting way less than we should from both football and basketball. There is absolutely no reason we should be doing this badly.

Eventually even the most seasoned fan gets fed up at some point. So, yes, negativity is in the mix, but it isn't like it is not deserved and has been building up as they continue to under achieve year in and year out.

Spot on. The Miners are 12-11 and unless they win a game next week, they will finish.500 and 3 of those wins are versus non-D1 teams. What does beating FAU in the first round prove? Is that real improvement over last season?

This is Terry’s 3rd year and he has had his players from the get go. Are we supposed to be happy with being mediocre in an extremely bad league? We blew that game versus Kansas. The Miners had a chance to beat a Top 25 team, but for various reasons, they still lost.

No it just says that we are in a terrible conference and finishing in the bottom half of it really says a lot. If we were in the top 4 every single year, then you can excuse that. But finishing at the bottom of it every single year is really frustrating.

Yeah. Why should we be happy about finishing 500 in CUSA or barely making the tournament? UTEP has more resources than a lot of CUSA schools, they just don’t produce on the court. We’re supposed to constantly accept that?

Reactions: Rocketsr
I agree our record should be about 3 games better than it is. 11-5 would put us right there in the top 4. I'll give Terry the chance to redeem himself if he makes the final four in the conference tournament.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I agree our record should be about 3 games better than it is. 11-5 would put us right there in the top 4. I'll give Terry the chance to redeem himself if he makes the final four in the conference tournament.

It’s going to be tough for the Miners to get that deep.

It’s going to be tough for the Miners to get that deep.
Going to have to beat FAU and then LT. In the last few weeks we took care of similar programs to FAU.

This team showed it can bang with a top 10 program. Played a top 50 program tough and beat a fringe top 100 team. All on the road. The talent is there. Anything other than 2 or more wins in the conference tournament will be a disappointment.

Reactions: nattybry
Going to have to beat FAU and then LT. In the last few weeks we took care of similar programs to FAU.

This team showed it can bang with a top 10 program. Played a top 50 program tough and beat a fringe top 100 team. All on the road. The talent is there. Anything other than 2 or more wins in the conference tournament will be a disappointment.

Even then... what would 2 wins accomplish? Confidence for next year, maybe, I guess. I just don't have faith that Terry will maintain or keep a roster together for more than one lucky season or that our underwhelming AD would build on that momentum. Look forward to being wrong if that's the case.

Even then... what would 2 wins accomplish? Confidence for next year, maybe, I guess. I just don't have faith that Terry will maintain or keep a roster together for more than one lucky season or that our underwhelming AD would build on that momentum. Look forward to being wrong if that's the case.

Selling our accomplishments short I see. Look at all the "progress" this team has had this year:

Did not lose to NMSU for first time since 2010-11 season
Beat a pre-season Top 25 Pac 12 team on the road
Lead #13 Kansas at halftime
Finished .500 in CUSA play, first non-losing record since 2016-17

Imagine hanging a "Won 2 games in 2021 CUSA Tournament" Banner during the home opener next year! Other teams are making the big dance and winning games, but we're fine with reaching the CUSA semis!

But more often than not The Miners have shown a propensity to play down to their opposition and to crumble under pressure. They are what they are.

If Miners make their free throws, stay above forty percent shooting, win the rebound margin and guards handle front court traps better they should win the first game. One at a time.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Utep shouldn't be trying for two wins. The regular season is over. This team has under achieved quite a bit with top 4 CUSA talent. Should've been 11-5- 12-4 in conference. Goal has to be win tournament or bust!
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT