ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Frazier

mikesarabia

All Star
Oct 28, 2006
I heard Keith Frazier the former SMU and North Texas player is joining the UTEP basketball team as a graduate transfer for this season. Can anyone confirm this?

We don't need this. The negatives far outweigh the few positives. We are well stocked at guard and this would be a huge distraction to the detriment of team unity.
It seems by the staff's recruiting approach after the summer, they don't seem as confident in our current guard situation. Frazier was a 5 star recruit out of high school. I find it interesting that Frazier was able to transfer within the same conference. That in itself may be a bit of a red flag. One thing is clear though, we are now out of rides for this year. So, if Doutrive is still planning on coming, he would have to be a Prop 48 guy this year.

Last edited:
It seems by the staff's recruiting approach after the summer, they don't seem as confident in our current guard situation. Frazier was a 5 star recruit out of high school. I find it interesting that Frazier was able to transfer within the same conference. That in itself may be a bit of a red flag. One thing is clear though, we are now out of rides for this year. So, if Doutrive is still planning on coming, he would have to be a Prop 48 guy this year.
Grad transfers can go anywhere. No restrictions.

We don't need this. The negatives far outweigh the few positives. We are well stocked at guard and this would be a huge distraction to the detriment of team unity.
Agreed.

This kid has played one complete season since 2013, doubt he'll last under Drill Sarge Floyd, I'd be highly surprised if he makes it through the entire season.

Wish this new AD would come in and drop a huge Nuke on our football and basketball programs, we need a fresh start, I'm going from diehard fan, to I don't give a damn anymore, pass the bottle.

Grad transfers can go anywhere. No restrictions.
Thanks for the clarification on that jdubb. It remains to be seen how this all works out, but I don't completely dislike the move. I think we could use some experience in the backcourt to compensate for the guys expected to play big minutes back there. It is simply a one year gap filler move, with Floyd taking advantage of the transfer epidemic ;)

Someone with his athleticism could be playing pro somewhere. His game probably is more suited for pro basketball than college. Question is why is he still pursuing college ball? Make no mistake, he might be the most athletic player we've had here since Randy C.

Looks like Floyd is pushing the RESET button again. It means Gilyard and Magee will be transferring at the end of the season.

While, given his history, I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd pushes the RESET button again, I don't think that this addition is in any way indicative of that. Frazier is a one year rental, the way that Konner Tucker was a few years ago. This signing does indicate to me that Floyd doesn't have confidence in his young guards right now. It doesn't necessarily indicate that he has given up hope for them in the future.

Ideally it would have been better for Floyd to rent a point guard, rather than another shooting guard. Omega has proven himself to be most effective at the 2 spot, and Wade and Osborne have shown more polish so far than Gilyard and Magee. A Harris/Frazier backcourt would have a lot of scoring power, but I don't see either one as a playmaker.

While, given his history, I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd pushes the RESET button again, I don't think that this addition is in any way indicative of that. Frazier is a one year rental, the way that Konner Tucker was a few years ago. This signing does indicate to me that Floyd doesn't have confidence in his young guards right now. It doesn't necessarily indicate that he has given up hope for them in the future.

Ideally it would have been better for Floyd to rent a point guard, rather than another shooting guard. Omega has proven himself to be most effective at the 2 spot, and Wade and Osborne have shown more polish so far than Gilyard and Magee. A Harris/Frazier backcourt would have a lot of scoring power, but I don't see either one as a playmaker.
Completely agree Maniac. We can't forget that both Wade and Osborne are first year players as well; along with Magee and Gilyard. Having a guy with experience could pay dividends this year. Obviously, the staff is looking at it that way. On Gilyard, he did indicate that he will be fine to play this year on twitter.

One thing's for sure!!!! The basketball program seems to be very energetic and innovative and is continuously trying to get better. There is always a surprise move being announced when you think all is settled, so you gotta give Floyd an A for effort and cleverness...right or wrong. Can't crucify him for trying.
Kugler should have a few tricks like this to dig out of his cave.
Status Quo won't do it.

In addition to my original post, I also heard it is looking very good that the Miners land Doutrive. Don't know how they work that out with the scholarship situation. Let's see if that pans out as well.

When do these guys (Frazier and/or Doutrive) have to be enrolled to be eligible for this season?

In addition to my original post, I also heard it is looking very good that the Miners land Doutrive. Don't know how they work that out with the scholarship situation. Let's see if that pans out as well.

How reliable do you feel your source is?

When do these guys (Frazier and/or Doutrive) have to be enrolled to be eligible for this season?
As a graduate transfer Frazier is eligible immediately; as a Prop 48 student, Doutrive would need to pass 24 hours in order to be eligible next year.

Doutrive would have to be a prop 48 and would really need to be enrolled now. I think this is what we concluded from the whole Brown issue. If UTEP would ever update its directory we could check....Replacing Omega and Frazier with the Doutrive brothers would be nice.

The way CTF recruits seems to be done without any rhyme or reason. Just get as many bodies as you can and see who can stand the attrition. Rinse and repeat.

Being called a graduate transfer.

Right, and I think the rule on that is he's either graduated or he got a waiver to study something at UTEP that's not offered at N. Texas, which is often controversial because the original intent of the rule isn't followed. For instance, some of these guys hardly take any classes but just play one more year.

Right, and I think the rule on that is he's either graduated or he got a waiver to study something at UTEP that's not offered at N. Texas, which is often controversial because the original intent of the rule isn't followed. For instance, some of these guys hardly take any classes but just play one more year.
So...

"The graduate transfer was admitted to school on Tuesday and will have one year of eligibility with the Miners, pending the approval of a medical redshirt for the 2016-17 season."

Zero mention of any of his troubles in UTEP's press release.

So was Frazier injured last year? Is that why he only played four games at UNT?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT