ADVERTISEMENT

Kent Lockhart

RIP. He was my favorite on those teams. When I was in the 3rd or 4th grade I was at a restaurant with my parents and he was there on a date. I stared at him all through dinner and finally got the courage to go ask for his autograph. As I approached I heard him whisper to his date "he's finally coming over". Cool story, I know.

RIP. He was my favorite on those teams. When I was in the 3rd or 4th grade I was at a restaurant with my parents and he was there on a date. I stared at him all through dinner and finally got the courage to go ask for his autograph. As I approached I heard him whisper to his date "he's finally coming over". Cool story, I know.
That is a cool story. I have almost the exact same story, however it was Dave Feitl who was with a date at a restaurant. I had been going to Miner games for a few years at this point and knew it was him. My mom “made” me go get his autograph. I think I was 11 or so. He was pretty cool about it.

One of my favorites. RIP.
The guy was an absolute warrior on the court in every sense of the word.

"Feb. 9, 1985 marked an altercation that entered the college basketball fight canon. UTEP are no strangers to fights over the years, and after they sent a BYU player to the line on this fateful day, the court broke out into chaos. Kent Lockhart seemed to be the spark that sent the coaches flying into the fray, but at that point, it didn't matter who started the fight. It mattered who ended it."

https://www.12up.com/posts/6-biggest-fights-in-college-basketball-history-01dz6s64wk8w

KL throwing haymakers at BYU player:

He was a badass. We are nearly the same age. I LOVED his fight (literally) on the court. I remember between seasons, he came back looking like he put on 50 pounds of muscle. One of my all time favorites.

Anyone have a clue what happened? Not that it matters, but dude was too young to leave us....

More tidbits:

"Hands up who remembers Eastside Spectres NBL import, Kent Lockhart? Did you know, the graduate of UTEP - The University of Texas at El Paso was selected by the New York Knicks in 1985 NBA Draft - Round 6, Pick 3. The same year as Patrick Ewing! Lockhart spent 3 years with the Spectres, shooting over 50% from the field and taking them all the way to the 1991 NBL Grand Final Series against Perth Wildcats"-Nunawading Basketball 2016 Facebook

12524278_1134388723261962_4193838743647071763_n.jpg

[from 2011] "I was Kent Lockhart’s teammate on the Gunn basketball team in 1980-1981 and I just wrote in my blog that the City of Palo Alto might want to rename the lone playground basket at Seale Park in Palo Alto (near Greer, where Kent lived, and Colorado) for Kent; they just built some new restrooms there. In my post I say that there could be a ceremony honoring the three best players all time here: Lockhart, Jeremy Lin and, for the oldtimers (even older than me!) “Jungle Jim” Loscutoff, who played for Paly and then the Boston Celtics’ championship teams. Cool to see people at Gunn remember Kent. Kent sent one of his jersies to the school but I never heard what Mr. Jacoubowsky did with it."
https://gunnbasketball.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/kent-lockhart/

The mental toughness of Lockhart and this 84 team:

"During pregame warmups before their WAC game at Wyoming, the UTEP Miners were greeted by chants of "CSU! CSU! CSU!" The taunt from the Cowboy fans was in reference to UTEP's first defeat of the season, a 63-51 loss at Colorado State two nights earlier. "The fans were trying to intimidate us," said UTEP forward Kent Lockhart, "and it worked just the opposite." The Miners were nearly flawless in their 54-46 victory over Wyoming, making just one turnover, on an offensive foul, and converting 22 of 26 free throws, including 10 straight in the final 3:20."

totally-awesome-jeff-spicoli.gif

• Haha
Reactions: techsloth
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT