ADVERTISEMENT

Kugler fluff piece

Also interesting the Twitter back and forth between Asher Wildman and Aaron Jones. Of course Jones brings up stuff that doesn’t have anything to do with winning games at UTEP

Reactions: minermx07
So other teams win because they eat more and because they are given iPads? Apparently Aaron didn't get an opportunity to attend English class.

I expect people like AJ to stand up for him, but he sounds like people like “HeWore”. Talking about how the Miners beat Ole Miss and Florida State 100 years ago. Not relevant to anything. Anyone who suggests that Kugler was anything less than a horrible coach here is an idiot.

Woah buddy, where to start off with this. Talk about Steve drinking the Teicher Kool-aid and defending UTEP even as they sit at the bottom of D-I football.

Kuglar did recruit El Paso talent, which is a point of discussion today with Dimel not even offering scholarships to players being recruited by the big programs. However, 32% of the roster being local talent is a giant warning sign that Kuglar did not do a great job recruiting. He stayed put, didnt travel much and recruited mostly local talent. Granted, budget may have had implications on this but 32%? Yikes.

"Offense lacked creativity.." um yeah that's an understatement. Ground and pound doesn't quite work so great without an even mediocre passing attack to keep defenses honest. This was highlighted by the fact that once Jones went down, it was game over. Jones was an exceptional talent and his numbers then (and now) show that he was a special player.

And let's be real, star football players don't attend classes, period. When I covered football in college, star players were always at the training facility either at the weight room, getting treatment and having homework done by "tutors". UTEP football has such a low budget, that an iPad is a personal chalkboard bought at a dollar store downtown and Jones should know that.

Conclusion: Steve is kissing the UTEP rings in order to have better access to coaches and as a mea culpa for the Tim Floyd fiasco.

I’ll gladly take Kugler and his one or two wins away from .500 than the shit we have now.

Reactions: unihorn
Are you serious? He lost to Rice in 2017 and gave them their only win of the season, blown out by NMSU 41-14 that year too. He would be no better off than Dimel right now.
He resigned like a man shortly after that. What about the four previous years compared to what we have now?

I'd argue that part of the gongshow today is attributed to Kuglar compacted by the horrible decision to bring in Dimel by Senter. But man that's a tough call: Kugs or Dimel. Ooof
Yeah tough call. The guy that took us to a bowl or the guy that has beat one fbs team.

He resigned like a man shortly after that. What about the four previous years compared to what we have now?

Quitting on your players and coaching staff is “resigning like a man” now. Did Floyd “resign like a man” too?

His best year (2014):
Beat UNM - whoopie do
Beat NMSU - whoopie do
Beat ODU, UTSA, USM, UNT, and MTSU - 4 of those were at home and none of them went bowling.

Lost to CUSA West champ LaTech 55-3
Lost to 2nd place Rice 31-13
Lost to K-State 58-28

That is the best he could do. I am pretty sure he NEVER beat a team with a winning record during his whole tenure and all his wins are over trash like NMSU and FCS schools. Yeah he was great!!!!!

Quitting on your players and coaching staff is “resigning like a man” now. Did Floyd “resign like a man” too?

His best year (2014):
Beat UNM - whoopie do
Beat NMSU - whoopie do
Beat ODU, UTSA, USM, UNT, and MTSU - 4 of those were at home and none of them went bowling.

Lost to CUSA West champ LaTech 55-3
Lost to 2nd place Rice 31-13
Lost to K-State 58-28

That is the best he could do. I am pretty sure he NEVER beat a team with a winning record during his whole tenure and all his wins are over trash like NMSU and FCS schools. Yeah he was great!!!!!
When someone recognizes they’re in over their head and they step down I respect that. Cool research. I’ll still take that over losses to an FCS team and NMSU.

When someone recognizes they’re in over their head and they step down I respect that. Cool research. I’ll still take that over losses to an FCS team and NMSU.

Well no shit. Ain’t nobody here flying the flag of Dana Dimel though. You’re saying “I would rather have AIDS than Cancer”. Ok cool, he was a shitty football coach and once Aaron Jones left, he was even worse.

I don’t want AIDS or Cancer, they both suck.

Utep football sucks. Prior to Price one and two win seasons were the normal. We're back to that. For a brief moment we were almost mediocre under Price and Kugler.

We’re not discussing the election on this thread. Please stay on subject.

I didn't mean the election but brownie points for that one ;). It's a similar sentiment to what NoWins mentioned: both were horrendous coaches. I wouldn't want either Dimer or Kuglar. We're tired of seeing really poor football, tired of excuses and tired of the "we need 5 years to rebuild" line.

But to your credit too JC, UTEP beat who was on their schedule that year. I'm sure we would gladly take wins over UNM, NMSU, UTSA, etc. today.

Wise man Vin Disel once said: Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

Utep football sucks. Prior to Price one and two win seasons were the normal. We're back to that. For a brief moment we were almost mediocre under Price and Kugler.

Honestly, is it REALLY that much better to win 4 games every year instead of 1? Do you beat your chest walking around Austin when UTEP has a 4 win season? Which fans do you talk trash to?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I didn't mean the election but brownie points for that one ;). It's a similar sentiment to what NoWins mentioned: both were horrendous coaches. I wouldn't want either Dimer or Kuglar. We're tired of seeing really poor football, tired of excuses and tired of the "we need 5 years to rebuild" line.

But to your credit too JC, UTEP beat who was on their schedule that year. I'm sure we would gladly take wins over UNM, NMSU, UTSA, etc. today.

Wise man Vin Disel once said: Doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.
I'm glad the joke didn't offend you. I don't know if Diesel said this, but it's not how you start, it's how you finish. For once I would like to see our coach increase his win total as the years go by instead of the hot starts and cold ending. Dimel can still redeem himself and do something the previous 4-5 coaches weren't able to.

Honestly, is it REALLY that much better to win 4 games every year instead of 1? Do you beat your chest walking around Austin when UTEP has a 4 win season? Which fans do you talk trash to?
Utep has taught me to be a humble sports fan. Even if we ever win a bowl game don't expect much chest beating from me. In my humble opinion, yes, I rather be a game or two away from bowl eligibility than a constant last place finish.

Utep has taught me to be a humble sports fan. Even if we ever win a bowl game don't expect much chest beating from me. In my humble opinion, yes, I rather be a game or two away from bowl eligibility than a constant last place finish.

Being a game or two away from bowl eligibility would get tiring too. Of course it’s “better”, but there really is no difference. It’s all the same. No bowl, no extra practice, same shit.

Coming tomorrow, my piece on interviewing people who worked under a poor performing manager, who was easy going and well liked, just didn’t deliver the goods! Too bad he “resigned like man” after the missing his goals 3 straight years.

Being a game or two away from bowl eligibility would get tiring too. Of course it’s “better”, but there really is no difference. It’s all the same. No bowl, no extra practice, same shit.
Would you rather make a salary of 1,000 a month or 4,000? Or are you going to say I’ll take the 1,000 a month since it's not 8,000 - 10,000?

So, in other words, you don't have an answer.

I do have an answer. It's a terrible comparison and it doesn't make any sense.

Obviously anybody would rather have a higher salary. What does this have to do with what we're talking about?

I do have an answer. It's a terrible comparison and it doesn't make any sense.

Obviously anybody would rather have a higher salary. What does this have to do with what we're talking about?
Then obviously anyone would rather have a higher win count. More wins = better

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
One could say that a 1,000 dollar salary is worth more in TX than 4,000 in CA or CT. I myself will ask if you can clarify this point JC; I'm having a hard time understanding this comment.
In football 4 wins is worth more than 1.

In football 4 wins is worth more than 1.

Yes I'll agree with 4 wins > 1 win. No arguing there. That case though still stands that 1 or 4 wins does not equal bowl. Constant 4-8 seasons are purgatory in football. So it's a case of being almost mediocre constantly or being the poster child (program) of failure. Idk, both are horrible but yes I see your point JC. Thank you for clarifying

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT