ADVERTISEMENT

Kugler fluff piece

Quitting on your players and coaching staff is “resigning like a man” now. Did Floyd “resign like a man” too?

His best year (2014):
Beat UNM - whoopie do
Beat NMSU - whoopie do
Beat ODU, UTSA, USM, UNT, and MTSU - 4 of those were at home and none of them went bowling.

Lost to CUSA West champ LaTech 55-3
Lost to 2nd place Rice 31-13
Lost to K-State 58-28

That is the best he could do. I am pretty sure he NEVER beat a team with a winning record during his whole tenure and all his wins are over trash like NMSU and FCS schools. Yeah he was great!!!!!

It’d be fun to watch you question Kugler’s manhood to his face.

Utep football sucks. Prior to Price one and two win seasons were the normal. We're back to that. For a brief moment we were almost mediocre under Price and Kugler.

At UTEP, home wins matter — over anyone. If you can entertain the fans with a win while they eat their nachos and drink their beer, it matters.

Being a great assistant doesn’t mean you’ll be a great head coach. I think he burned out with all the extra duties of being a HC.

Some questions I would ask Kuglar:
UTEP's roster consisted of 32% local talent. What was the process that led to this result?

What do you believe led to the anemic offense? Scheme? Personnel? Play calling? As a follow up, why was there an apparent hesitation to seek change based on the results?

If I'm not mistaken, the special teams unit didn't recruit a scholarship kicker? Held try outs for one. Please correct me if I'm out of bounds on this. But question would be, why wasnt kicking/special teams looked at with more importance? (This decision cost UTEP games)

Finally, what was the real reason for his walk-out mid-season? There was discussion about the future of the program; what specifically was discussed? If this was due to personal reasons, then let it be. It's true that if a person needs to fix their life, that trumps everything.

I feel that these are fair questions that could be asked that can highlight what the thought process for Kuglar was and the infrastructure for the program. It would then highlight a possible root cause of the issue that may be more than just Kuglar. He didn't make things easier but he's obviously not the root cause for what ails this program.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Some questions I would ask Kuglar:
UTEP's roster consisted of 32% local talent. What was the process that led to this result?

What do you believe led to the anemic offense? Scheme? Personnel? Play calling? As a follow up, why was there an apparent hesitation to seek change based on the results?

If I'm not mistaken, the special teams unit didn't recruit a scholarship kicker? Held try outs for one. Please correct me if I'm out of bounds on this. But question would be, why wasnt kicking/special teams looked at with more importance? (This decision cost UTEP games)

Finally, what was the real reason for his walk-out mid-season? There was discussion about the future of the program; what specifically was discussed? If this was due to personal reasons, then let it be. It's true that if a person needs to fix their life, that trumps everything.

I feel that these are fair questions that could be asked that can highlight what the thought process for Kuglar was and the infrastructure for the program. It would then highlight a possible root cause of the issue that may be more than just Kuglar. He didn't make things easier but he's obviously not the root cause for what ails this program.

He might not have good answers to those good questions.

I think if you’re moving into a leadership position, you need to have been trained and mentored for it by someone skilled and experienced.

Otherwise, it’s a risky move. Maybe you’re smart enough and have enough natural talent for it to figure it all out quickly, on the fly.

Maybe you don’t.

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
Cool, because you wouldn’t.

I wouldn’t because I wouldn’t seek out a person to tell them they suck. Nor would I go up to a 12-0 Dana Dimel and tell him he’s great. I do not go out of my way to tell coaches stuff. If it happened organically, sure.

You wouldn’t go up to a random gay guy and call him the F word either. Well maybe if he were 5’0” 105 pounds and prancing around like a stereotype. You probably would then, especially if your buddies were around. Try to impress them with your “coolness”.

I wouldn’t because I wouldn’t seek out a person to tell them they suck. Nor would I go up to a 12-0 Dana Dimel and tell him he’s great. I do not go out of my way to tell coaches stuff. If it happened organically, sure.

You wouldn’t go up to a random gay guy and call him the F word either. Well maybe if he were 5’0” 105 pounds and prancing around like a stereotype. You probably would then, especially if your buddies were around. Try to impress them with your “coolness”.

Stop deflecting — you slam coaches behind the safety of your keyboard. You’re a coward.

I’m surprised so many players came out in support of Kugler. They were there, that means something.

But as a fan, I saw the football and it was mostly bad. I will say, it was disciplined and fundamentally sound.

Kuglers teams had a lack of talent outside of a few standouts and the play calling was dated.

Somehow, Dimmel is worse.

I’m surprised so many players came out in support of Kugler. They were there, that means something.

But as a fan, I saw the football and it was mostly bad. I will say, it was disciplined and fundamentally sound.

Kuglers teams had a lack of talent outside of a few standouts and the play calling was dated.

Somehow, Dimmel is worse.

The current admin has convinced themselves, or Dimel has sold them, that Dimel started in a huge hole and is digging himself out of it.

Stop deflecting — you slam coaches behind the safety of your keyboard. You’re a coward.

That’s their fvcking job. Why would I go out of my way to tell Kugler he sucked as UTEP coach? Do you go out of your way to tell someone they did crappy at their job from 5 years ago?

That’s their fvcking job. Why would I go out of my way to tell Kugler he sucked as UTEP coach? Do you go out of your way to tell someone they did crappy at their job from 5 years ago?

I have told a coach to their face that they sucked. It didn’t go well. He found out where I worked and tried to get me fired. Thankfully, my boss told him to go pound sand.

^ "Things that didn't happen for 500, Alex."

Did happen. I also set a time to meet you and your alias at Wolve’s Den, and you didn’t show. It’s not a gay bar — it’s a place to fight. You’re Internet cowards.

Woah buddy, where to start off with this. Talk about Steve drinking the Teicher Kool-aid and defending UTEP even as they sit at the bottom of D-I football.

Kuglar did recruit El Paso talent, which is a point of discussion today with Dimel not even offering scholarships to players being recruited by the big programs. However, 32% of the roster being local talent is a giant warning sign that Kuglar did not do a great job recruiting. He stayed put, didnt travel much and recruited mostly local talent. Granted, budget may have had implications on this but 32%? Yikes.

"Offense lacked creativity.." um yeah that's an understatement. Ground and pound doesn't quite work so great without an even mediocre passing attack to keep defenses honest. This was highlighted by the fact that once Jones went down, it was game over. Jones was an exceptional talent and his numbers then (and now) show that he was a special player.

And let's be real, star football players don't attend classes, period. When I covered football in college, star players were always at the training facility either at the weight room, getting treatment and having homework done by "tutors". UTEP football has such a low budget, that an iPad is a personal chalkboard bought at a dollar store downtown and Jones should know that.

Conclusion: Steve is kissing the UTEP rings in order to have better access to coaches and as a mea culpa for the Tim Floyd fiasco.

Pretty sure Tim Floyd was dipping into Kugler’s football recruiting budget since all of the talent was over 12 hours away.:rolleyes:

Reactions: unihorn
If we’re talking about Kugler and his recruitment of local players it must be said that he sucked. He once said on one of the coaches shows he wanted a kid from every high school in EP on the roster. I don’t care if you’re Sean Kugler or Knute Rockne that is the dumbest recruiting plan if I ever heard one. I know there are diamonds in the rough and I respect that but you don’t prioritize having a kid from every HS in El Paso over bringing in the best players available.

I can understand the players and even the coaches being hurt about their time here and why they need to defend their honor. I get that. But at the end of the day the results speak for themselves. I think we can respect everyone for working hard and representing the school in a good fashion off the field. And I’m sure as much as we hated watching the miners suck as spectators it was probably 100 times harder being on that field and eating your balls week in and week out. In the end it’s disingenuous to say it was a great time on the field. It is what it is.

If we’re talking about Kugler and his recruitment of local players it must be said that he sucked. He once said on one of the coaches shows he wanted a kid from every high school in EP on the roster. I don’t care if you’re Sean Kugler or Knute Rockne that is the dumbest recruiting plan if I ever heard one. I know there are diamonds in the rough and I respect that but you don’t prioritize having a kid from every HS in El Paso over bringing in the best players available.

I can understand the players and even the coaches being hurt about their time here and why they need to defend their honor. I get that. But at the end of the day the results speak for themselves. I think we can respect everyone for working hard and representing the school in a good fashion off the field. And I’m sure as much as we hated watching the miners suck as spectators it was probably 100 times harder being on that field and eating your balls week in and week out. In the end it’s disingenuous to say it was a great time on the field. It is what it is.

Maybe he thought he was Knute Rockne.

I have told a coach to their face that they sucked. It didn’t go well. He found out where I worked and tried to get me fired. Thankfully, my boss told him to go pound sand.

Cool. So you almost lost your job to do so. Wow man, I’m really impressed. Probably some middle or high school coach who didn’t play your kids enough.

Maybe he thought he was Knute Rockne.

We’re definitely beating a dead horse on this, but when UTEP crashed and burned under Kugler we all felt that his biggest flaws were in recruiting and offensive philosophy. It’s hard to run a good offense when you have bad players. He was trying to run an awful offense with awful players. And if we’re honest Dimel does not have the talent to run his offense either, so in many ways this is a continuation of the previous regimes woes. Under both regimes the recruiting has been awful.

Congratulations! I’m sure it was worth it.

Kugler sucked plain and simple. Whatever criticism the coaches, administration, and players receive on here, pales in comparison to what others receive at major colleges.

On the dim spotlight on coaches here, we agree.

We’re definitely beating a dead horse on this, but when UTEP crashed and burned under Kugler we all felt that his biggest flaws were in recruiting and offensive philosophy. It’s hard to run a good offense when you have bad players. He was trying to run an awful offense with awful players. And if we’re honest Dimel does not have the talent to run his offense either, so in many ways this is a continuation of the previous regimes woes. Under both regimes the recruiting has been awful.

Couldn't agree more. Dimel in my opinion has been worse than Kuglar and that in of itself was a very low bar.

Cool. So you almost lost your job to do so. Wow man, I’m really impressed. Probably some middle or high school coach who didn’t play your kids enough.

It's funny that some people say I'm a stalker on here for meeting former NFL and NBA players at UTEP games, but this moron waited after a game to insult a D1 coach.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
It's funny that some people say I'm a stalker on here for meeting former NFL and NBA players at UTEP games, but this moron waited after a game to insult a D1 coach.

We’re just tough guys who don’t praise the enormously successful UTEP coaches enough. Just here telling lies and “alternative facts”.

Couldn't agree more. Dimel in my opinion has been worse than Kuglar and that in of itself was a very low bar.

That’s a fair point to have. I think Kap was wrong for saying Kugler was under appreciated. That’s certainly not the right word to describe his tenure. I think someone like Billy G. or Barbee were under appreciated because they had their programs on an upward trajectory and I wish we could have paid them way more to at least get them to think about staying.

I would say Kugler’s legacy is “complicated”. He brought in 2 All-Americans which is unheard of. He made a bowl game and had several players make NFL rosters. Throw in the off the field stuff those are great accomplishments. But then he crapped the bed on everything else and torpedoed the program to the depths of hell. You have to acknowledge both but at the end of the day wins and losses are what you’re remembered for. If you rank all the UTEP coaches post Bob Stull he may be the worst one or very near the bottom.

That’s a fair point to have. I think Kap was wrong for saying Kugler was under appreciated. That’s certainly not the right word to describe his tenure. I think someone like Billy G. or Barbee were under appreciated because they had their programs on an upward trajectory and I wish we could have paid them way more to at least get them to think about staying.

I would say Kugler’s legacy is “complicated”. He brought in 2 All-Americans which is unheard of. He made a bowl game and had several players make NFL rosters. Throw in the off the field stuff those are great accomplishments. But then he crapped the bed on everything else and torpedoed the program to the depths of hell. You have to acknowledge both but at the end of the day wins and losses are what you’re remembered for. If you rank all the UTEP coaches post Bob Stull he may be the worst one or very near the bottom.

Post Stull Coach rank:
1) Price
2) Nord
3) Kugler
4) Bailey
5) Dimel - only because of length
6) Lee

If you want to flip Kugler and Bailey, I’m okay with that, but David Lee was beyond awful. At this point only Dimel looks to be in contention to dethrone him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT