ADVERTISEMENT

Kugler personally offers Parkland High standout

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"Christian Johnson is a big and athletic and he looks to play a significant role on Parkland's defense this coming season.

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Johnson played defensive end last season and piled up 42 total tackles, including 28 solo tackles, and five sacks...... "Coach Kugler called me and he said he doesn't want me to leave El Paso, he wants me to be a Miner. I was super excited for that.""

http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_28225810/parkland-defensive-end-johnson-sought-by-utep-also

Reactions: UTEPy79
I am pleased that Coach Kugler is going after the best EP prospects so aggressively. Certainly, high school football in El Paso has transitioned from mediocrity to respectability. I remember how EP teams were regularly thrashed by teams from Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, Lubbock and San Angelo. The coaching is better here now and the players are improving all the time. Finally, EP football players are drawing attention from major college programs on a regular basis. It used to be the exception when a player like Lance Taylor (Coronado) was recruited by Texas, but now we see players being recruited by schools from PAC-12, Big 12, SEC, Big 10 and other major conferences. That's good for EP and high school student athletes locally.

I like what Coach Kugler is doing. I'm sure these kids are impressed when they see this large man, who once coached with Steelers pay them a visit. I agree, El Paso athletics have improved significantly. Canutillo FB and Andress BB made nice runs in the playoffs and made it to the final four in the state. I don't remember any other El Paso FB make it that deep in the playoffs.

The main reasons is that we now have all this kids playing at an early age.
We will see a lot more talent in El Paso.

Go Miners...

Imaminer,

El Paso schools can't offer the parents of the best players in Texas high paying jobs in the oil fields as Midland/Odessa can. Those teams you refer to recruit players to their cities just as colleges do but they do it by using employment opportunities for the parents, primarily the patriarchs. Who wouldn't relocate to those areas when they can double or triple their annual incomes? Sure, it may be over in a couple years, but the lives of the families have been greatly improved.

Its encouraging to hear that El Paso high schools are doing better and attracting better coaching. Hopefully the talent stays in town a little longer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT