ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of Atmosphere at the Games

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
There is a bonafide lack of coordination at UTEP Basketball Games with regards to in game atmosphere. There is little effort by the announcer or cheer squad to get the public involved in the games. Very little excitement and entertainment outside of the game. Consequently, the last few games I've been to have been like hospital waiting rooms in the stands. The fans are horrible as well. You could hear a mouse fart during last night's game. I swear I could hear conversations happening across the court. There has to be more effort there.

Remember that the tournament has a different announcer and different personnel running things. They aren't run at all like the regular games that's why you don't see the intros, promos, giveaways, pyro, video and such.

it's also doesn't help that the conference banned cheerleaders from using megaphones

Reactions: jdubb66
Agree 100%. I was disappointed there was no intro yesterday. Tournament rules? Anyway, UTEP needs to take a page from the NBA and really work on game atmosphere. A lot of it is just music to pump you up and cool highlights. There needs to be catch phrases or sound bites with big plays or certain players as well (especially at time outs). UTEP seems to have a perpetual problem with their sound system in the Don and the time out/halftime stuff is usually pretty lame. PA announcer just needs to do his thing and not try to force the crowd. Also players need to understand that the crowd will get into the game more when play is better and more consistent. You cant just force it to happen because you throw your hands in the air.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Stop complaining trolls and just sellout the Don baby! Senter and UTEP will only improve the game experience if big crowds come! Then your voice will be heard.

You’re lucky UTEP even has a basketball team to perform for us. We are lucky. Only 350 other schools have a D1 team. We are elite!

All the Haskins Center needs is better teams lining up against UTEP. Take away A&T from the name of last nights opponent and no one would care about the little stuff. I guess now we know how the P5 fans feel when they schedule our football team.

Reactions: axingfools1
In the 80's there were tons of these types of tournaments, 50-60 of them. Now there are only 5 non-exempt tournaments left. Even the Great Alaska Shootout is gone. This one will join the list eventually, can't get teams.

The best atmospheres are created by fans. Serious question. Would UTEP Football make more money if the games were free?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
During the Haskins years there was never any flashy or wild intro since it was known he wasn't a fan of any of that. It was very basic and the fans who prided themselves on being there for many years were fine with that. that slowly began to change in the 99 - 00 season. Stiil, we are many years behind other universities in that department. Remember we are talking about the same place that had fans call security / campus police to make other fans sit down if they were standing in front of them

During the Haskins years there was never any flashy or wild intro since it was known he wasn't a fan of any of that. It was very basic and the fans who prided themselves on being there for many years were fine with that. that slowly began to change in the 99 - 00 season. Stiil, we are many years behind other universities in that department. Remember we are talking about the same place that had fans call security / campus police to make other fans sit down if they were standing in front of them

Strelz was the announcer. You want me to go on?

There is a bonafide lack of coordination at UTEP Basketball Games with regards to in game atmosphere. There is little effort by the announcer or cheer squad to get the public involved in the games. Very little excitement and entertainment outside of the game. Consequently, the last few games I've been to have been like hospital waiting rooms in the stands. The fans are horrible as well. You could hear a mouse fart during last night's game. I swear I could hear conversations happening across the court. There has to be more effort there.

I agree. Whoever is in charge of the cheerleaders or who advises the mascots should be fired.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The crowd is never lively for these tournaments, or at least since the competition has lagged over the years. It usually picks up during conference play
Since no "big names" want to come to UTEP, El Pasoans stay away.

However, UC-Irvine is a good team and can beat many majors any time, any day, any place. Who doesn't hype it enough? UTEP and the SB committee.

This game is huge without anyone even knowing how big.

However, UC-Irvine is a good team and can beat many majors any time, any day, any place. Who doesn't hype it enough? UTEP and the SB committee.

Yes indeed. A huge game with a 7-5 Big West team. Surprised Jay Bilas and ESPN aren’t here!

UC irvine is decent this year, but let's not go overboard on the hype. They're 7-5, with no major wins in their resume

It’s the only home game in our schedule against a team that won an NCAA game last season.

Didn’t even realize they did, but has no bearing as they are UC-Irvine. This is their 3rd time here maybe? Meh. Solid opponent, nothing to get excited about.

They’ve lost to Pepperdine, TCU, Colorado, Cal Baptist, and Detroit. We cannot lose to them in front of our 4,000 fans tonight

A 9-1 Kent St. team would be easier to hype, but alas, UC-Irvine didn't stick to the script.

I’ve noticed more students at the games this year. You can tell they know the players and are there to support them.

I love that we have student support again this year. In years past it would be a few students here and they're sitting down and looking at their phones. Now we are getting people who actually watch the game. Mind you, there are people who complain about the student section

Reactions: jdubb66
A 9-1 Kent St. team would be easier to hype, but alas, UC-Irvine didn't stick to the script.

Kent st has played nobody, other than Ohio st, in which case they got handled. I don't know what their second hardest game was.... Stetson? Towson?

Kent st has played nobody, other than Ohio st, in which case they got handled. I don't know what their second hardest game was.... Stetson? Towson?
Possibly Wright St., sitting at 8-3 right now. THEY beat Western Kentucky.

Edit: Yeah, looking at the records for Stetson and Towson, the best win was definitely Wright St.

Then the dumb DJ in the middle taking up like five seats, that douche provides ZERO value, UTEP is wasting their money paying that clown. Been the same music the past four or five years.

He was brought in for the sake of the students. There were meetings about what could be done to enhance the experience and bring in more student attendance. this is part of what was recommended by the students themselves

Reactions: minerfan_14
He was brought in for the sake of the students. There were meetings about what could be done to enhance the experience and bring in more student attendance. this is part of what was recommended by the students themselves
I'm sure he's good at a club or a party, but adds ZERO value to Don, the Pep Band is still king.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT