ADVERTISEMENT

LaTech

Cube Jack

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
El Paso, TX
LaTech is a great defensive team. They have a pretty good record too. I'm hoping UTEP is out of whatever fog they've been in because they've lost 3 straight and it can easily become 5 after this weekend.

I hope they show something tonight. Cuz right now we could be looking at losing five of the next six. At 3-9 we would probably be eliminated from the conference tournament.

I hope they show something tonight. Cuz right now we could be looking at losing five of the next six. At 3-9 we would probably be eliminated from the conference tournament.

If we even sniff 3-9, 4-8, I don’t think we deserve to be in the conference tournament. That will mean that it’s not just an illusion that the wheels have come off the bus. What’s the point if that’s the case?

If we even sniff 3-9, 4-8, I don’t think we deserve to be in the conference tournament. That will mean that it’s not just an illusion that the wheels have come off the bus. What’s the point if that’s the case?
Over the last decade the #8 seed has had an average record of 9-9 or 8-10. If we were at 3-9 with 6 games left that would mean we would have to win five out of six or all six to make it in the tournament. At 9-9 with a six game winning streak would give me some hope of making noise but who are we kidding.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
What happen at North Texas stays forgotten...
Lets consider this a new restart. If we can run and score 80 or more points we win.
Look for Hess to get some minutes in the second half of this game.
Best guess is Miners 86 to what ever..:cool:

If the Miners finish 3-9 there should be rioting in the streets of El Paso.

UTEP started the 2016-17 season 2-13 with wins over Louisiana College and Western Michigan. Most fans (the dumb ones) were still behind Floyd and so was the local media. There were no riots. Now, there's less fans that care enough to riot. UTEP can't even sellout the DHC at their covid capacity. That's all you need to know about how much fans care about the basketball program right now.

UTEP should be selling walk-up tickets. Just space out the line and email the tickets to the buyer.

Reactions: Prospero915
UTEP started the 2016-17 season 2-13 with wins over Louisiana College and Western Michigan. Most fans (the dumb ones) were still behind Floyd and so was the local media. There were no riots. Now, there's less fans that care enough to riot. UTEP can't even sellout the DHC at their covid capacity. That's all you need to know about how much fans care about the basketball program right now.
Wrong. UTEP has sold out covid capacity tickets for the season, people just are not going.

Over the last decade the #8 seed has had an average record of 9-9 or 8-10. If we were at 3-9 with 6 games left that would mean we would have to win five out of six or all six to make it in the tournament. At 9-9 with a six game winning streak would give me some hope of making noise but who are we kidding.

I could get on board if we end up 9-9. I’m just saying if we get to the point of being 3-9, something is very internally wrong, we won’t turn it around, and it won’t get better. This team has wayyyy underperformed. Not saying we could be world beaters, but damn.....

Reactions: JCorona
Terry is not going to some how recruit a higher level of player to UTEP without winning. This is it. He has the players to win now. His preferred style of play is inherently inconsistent (even more so if he is unable to make adjustments on the fly). If we come out unprepared again or lose in the last minutes because of poor decision making then the writing is on the wall. We have to assume that Terry has been coaching long enough to know better and this is as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Jan's called. Budget it in the shitter since he can't even keep a hobo from a ham sandwich while isolated in Springer, NM. He needs N95's.

Well we let them make a run but then got it back to double digits at the half. We scored a total of 98 points in two games at UNT, and have more than half of that in the first half tonight. I guess the offense doesn't travel during conference play?

Lofton looks like Efe his freshman year. The announcers are talking about him hitting the weight room and dieting. I guess they want his numbers to go down too.

Reactions: Hot For Keitha
Lofton looks like Efe his freshman year. The announcers are talking about him hitting the weight room and dieting. I guess they want his numbers to go down too.

Lofton is reminding me a little -- just a little -- of Shaquille O'Neil. But ONLY in the sense that he's a big body pushing people around and the refs let him get away with it.

For most of the second half we have been lucky to get some easy buckets here and there, but haven't been playing with any intensity. We need to change that now. With this team's penchant for tanking, we have to play hard every possession on both sides of the ball.

How many possessions have we let the shot clock run down and then forced up a bad shot? What happened to the offense we displayed in the first half?

Reactions: Lil_Train
This is my first time rooting for UTEP and I am always glad when the underdog is ahead in most situations.

It looks like we will hang on here, but it's not because we played well in the 2nd half. We didn't. Fortunately LA Tech was sloppy themselves.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Some favorable calls by the refs helped stop what looked like another potential choke job. Still a win is a win.
Yeah its a win but by no means does it make me feel more confident that we can develop any kind of consistency. Its gonna be up and down all season. Just waaaaaay too many mistakes that could easily be fixed by better coaching.

I thought for sure we would see Onyema for a few minutes today and there would be an epiphany from Terry. Nobody can tell me that he can't help us in the paint at this point. Every time I see social media post of UTEP basketball practice Onyema is all over the place. Does Terry know that this is a free year for all players?

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT