ADVERTISEMENT

LaTech

I thought for sure we would see Onyema for a few minutes today and there would be an epiphany from Terry. Nobody can tell me that he can't help us in the paint at this point. Every time I see social media post of UTEP basketball practice Onyema is all over the place. Does Terry know that this is a free year for all players?

Rebounding has been our biggest Achilles Heel this year. Yes, we are sloppy, lazy at times, and just plain horrible shooting for stretches. But REBOUNDING is what is killing us -- even in a win! #SMH

Rebounding has been our biggest Achilles Heel this year. Yes, we are sloppy, lazy at times, and just plain horrible shooting for stretches. But REBOUNDING is what is killing us -- even in a win! #SMH
Jesus mio, 270 pounds is no easy task but listening to post game stats both were bad with field goal % in second half. If La Tech got hot at the 3 along with their great free throw shooting UTEP would have lost.

Well, because for a time, La Tech was REALLY good. They're not quite the elite program that they used to be.

Still a good win for the women, though.

Even that’s an understatement. Between 82 and 99, the Lady Techsters were in the Final Four 10 times, runner up four times and national champs twice.

Reactions: kickballpro
Reading y’all’s comments and the game recap, it sounds like we played pretty good for stretches of the game, and we played poorly for stretches. I guess I picked the wrong night to choose dinner and drinks with a bud, over a Miner game. Oh well!!

There is certainly an obvious theme with this team...how well we shoot the 3, more often than not determines the outcome of the game. I think we ended up at 38% as a team from deep last night. That percentage would have won us quite a few more games this season. The bad thing is, this team doesn’t shoot nearly that well with any consistency. Live and die by the 3. So far, more often we die.

And what TxRoadKiller said about rebounding is so true. This is the poorest rebounding team, for who and what we have, that I can remember. There may be some utep teams that had lower rebounding stats, but largely due to size deficits (6’7” Terry Wynn playing the 5) or true lack of talent (some of Floyd’s teams). This team just plain gets out hustled damn near every game I watch. Just so little heart on this team. It’s discouraging. But I’m glad we won and hopefully we get it done again tonight.

Terry is not going to some how recruit a higher level of player to UTEP without winning. This is it. He has the players to win now. His preferred style of play is inherently inconsistent (even more so if he is unable to make adjustments on the fly). If we come out unprepared again or lose in the last minutes because of poor decision making then the writing is on the wall. We have to assume that Terry has been coaching long enough to know better and this is as good as it gets.
This is exactly why Terry should be gone. If he truly has the talent to win and is not, then it is on him. David Lee and Nord were fired for the same reason when they were coaches as they had the talent but were not winning.

Price was great at using someone else's talent and winning, but not bringing his own. Doc Sadler was another that could coach your socks off, using another coach's talent, and yet could not bring in his own.

Terry is the opposite as he can bring in the talent, he just can't win with it.

Reading y’all’s comments and the game recap, it sounds like we played pretty good for stretches of the game, and we played poorly for stretches. I guess I picked the wrong night to choose dinner and drinks with a bud, over a Miner game. Oh well!!

There is certainly an obvious theme with this team...how well we shoot the 3, more often than not determines the outcome of the game. I think we ended up at 38% as a team from deep last night. That percentage would have won us quite a few more games this season. The bad thing is, this team doesn’t shoot nearly that well with any consistency. Live and die by the 3. So far, more often we die.

And what TxRoadKiller said about rebounding is so true. This is the poorest rebounding team, for who and what we have, that I can remember. There may be some utep teams that had lower rebounding stats, but largely due to size deficits (6’7” Terry Wynn playing the 5) or true lack of talent (some of Floyd’s teams). This team just plain gets out hustled damn near every game I watch. Just so little heart on this team. It’s discouraging. But I’m glad we won and hopefully we get it done again tonight.
That La Tech behemoth freshman was shoving Williams, put up a shot, get a rebound, put it back up and repeat. Reminds of this Andress high player I played against in high school in summer leagues many moons ago. Andre was his name I think, but built like Gronk, built like a cinder block wall and strong. Made my night hell.

Look for Tech to tighten up the perimeter and not let UTEP go off on the 3 ball to start the game like they did last night.

That La Tech behemoth freshman was shoving Williams, put up a shot, get a rebound, put it back up and repeat. Reminds of this Andress high player I played against in high school in summer leagues many moons ago. Andre was his name I think, but built like Gronk, built like a cinder block wall and strong. Made my night hell.

Look for Tech to tighten up the perimeter and not let UTEP go off on the 3 ball to start the game like they did last night.
And then what will Terry do? I know. He will wait til the game is over and say the kids just didn't make shots.

Reactions: Lil_Train
And then what will Terry do? I know. He will wait til the game is over and say the kids just didn't make shots.
Or say he thought the players were experienced enough to figure it out on their own 😒

Seriously, I think we need to continue doubling Lofton down low. Williams needs help, and we can't afford to have him in foul trouble. Plus, he played nearly the entire game yesterday. Hopefully, their leading scorer, Ledoux, is still out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Its just seems like this team likes to play street ball... get open and shot... I believe this team can run with any one..
I like the way they starting to gel as a team. Look for the same results again tonight. Run and Gun 80 points for the win...

One thing with Lofton was that he would use his butt and size otherwise to push people around. Some refs would have called him more than once for that but these ones seemed determined to let that kind of pushing and shoving happen.

I think it very much showed in the amount of free throws. UTEP had a bad night at the line as it was and I think they shot half as many free throws as Louisiana Tech.

That Christon guy got poked in the eye early on and I guess it threw him off because he didn't score a single point the entire game. probably can't count on that happening again

One thing with Lofton was that he would use his butt and size otherwise to push people around. Some refs would have called him more than once for that but these ones seemed determined to let that kind of pushing and shoving happen.

I think it very much showed in the amount of free throws. UTEP had a bad night at the line as it was and I think they shot half as many free throws as Louisiana Tech.

That Christon guy got poked in the eye early on and I guess it threw him off because he didn't score a single point the entire game. probably can't count on that happening again
Can't use what God gave you for illegal pics and blocking. His backing down using his fat fanny is totally legal.

What refs missed missed a ton of last night was the pushing off with the forearm when they went to the basket but yet "Saucy" comes out of no where for the block and strip of a La Tech player on a fast break that was not only clean, he left a dry cleaning bill, but yet refs call a foul.

Reactions: Cube Jack
I was busy and just logged into watch the game now. So we scored 50 in the first half last night, and only 23 points tonight? Of course we did.

I was busy and just logged into watch the game now. So we scored 50 in the first half last night, and only 23 points tonight? Of course we did.
Did you see what Verhoven did to the Fridge? Throw your body at him on the block out and it pissed him off and Verhoven handled his anger correctly but putting his hands up. That's what UTEP needs to do.

I'll prepared to play tonight. Again. And with a coaching staff severely lacking in halftime adjustment ability I think the fat lady can start warming up.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Rodney Terry’s star player committed his 4th foul inside the 10 min mark 94 feet from the defensive bucket, then on the next trip Rodney Terry’s star fouls out.

aren’t you supposed to take your star out and bring him back in the final 4-5 mins?

BS foul #5 on BW, after BW commits a stupid foul #4. It was already very unlikely that we win this game, but now it will be practically impossible

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT