ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s face it UTEP should drop football or drop to FCS

minermaniac2023

All Star
Mar 15, 2019
Appalachian State beat Michigan 12 years ago, has UTEP ever beat a Top 25 non-conference opponent? They beat North Carolina and South Carolina this season, UTEP hasn’t beat a P5 team since Ole Miss in 1967 and that was in the Sun Bowl. App St beat 2, on the road, in the same season.

They’re 4-0 in bowl games since moving up and UTEP hasn’t won any since 1967. They also have 3 Conference Championships during that time frame and UTEP has 1 shared one, ever.

It’s just time to stop pretending, it’s never getting better. We suck and will always suck. All these other schools win bowl games and upset P5 opponents. Drop to FCS or just drop it all together.

Reactions: Realm-Fx
Appalachian State beat Michigan 12 years ago, has UTEP ever beat a Top 25 non-conference opponent? They beat North Carolina and South Carolina this season, UTEP hasn’t beat a P5 team since Ole Miss in 1967 and that was in the Sun Bowl. App St beat 2, on the road, in the same season.

They’re 4-0 in bowl games since moving up and UTEP hasn’t won any since 1967. They also have 3 Conference Championships during that time frame and UTEP has 1 shared one, ever.

It’s just time to stop pretending, it’s never getting better. We suck and will always suck. All these other schools win bowl games and upset P5 opponents. Drop to FCS or just drop it all together.

Didn’t your English teacher cover comma splices?

2017 0-12
2018 1-11
2019 1-11 likely

2 wins and 34 losses the last three years. I've never experienced such a miserable three year stretch as a UTEP fan and I hold no hope that Dimel and Senter will turn things around. What's also discouraging is the guy currently driving the car was responsible for near termination of the football program at Houston.

2017 0-12
2018 1-11
2019 1-11 likely

2 wins and 34 losses the last three years. I've never experienced such a miserable three year stretch as a UTEP fan and I hold no hope that Dimel and Senter will turn things around.

gotta beat either Rice or nmsu

2017 0-12
2018 1-11
2019 1-11 likely

2 wins and 34 losses the last three years. I've never experienced such a miserable three year stretch as a UTEP fan and I hold no hope that Dimel and Senter will turn things around.

11 season stretch from 1975 to 1985 15 wins with 111 losses, if they didn't shut it down over such a putrid football output, they never will. We averaged 10 L's per season for 11 years.

Also 1992 to 1996 five seasons 9 wins and 47 losses. 1.8 wins and 9.4 losses per season average.

Even in the Mike Price era where we had a modicum of success we were only 2 games over .500 at 48-46.

I say if we can't beat NMSU and Rice Dimel needs to go.

As bad as the football program’s results have historically been it would be a shame to close shop and shut it all down. Football has been a part of the university for a long, long time. As ludicrous as it sounds, I still have belief that if the right pieces are put together the program can have success. And believe me I get it, with the exception of a handful of good years UTEP has been looking for these pieces for decades. I just can’t help but think with better coaches and personnel surrounding the team a city the size of El Paso will support positive results and help to sustain it. Maybe I’m being selfish but I would hate it if football was dropped down to FCS or discontinued altogether.

Title IX.... you drop football you also drop softball, volleyball, soccer rifle and tennis. Now we're talking about not having enough sports at all. There goes conference affiliation. Kiss the music program goodbye since marching band will be gone. Now we have a big stadium with no one in it not to mention the now unused Memorial Gym, Helen of Troy Field and University Stadium. That terminates the jobs of anyone who works the events or grounds.

Im pissed off so I’m talking out my butt, spewing hate....but I’d say so what. Softball sucks, volleyball sucks, everything pretty much sucks cept for track and an up and coming b-ball team. And not as many people would lose their job as you might think. Labor crew sets up pretty much all athletic events, school events, shit even parties at the Presidents house. Same thing with grounds maintenance. Memorial gym is used more by students than actual people who go to a volleyball game. All those students in marching band are in concert band/jazz bands...jazz combos, orchestra, choral...fine arts won’t go away. Marching band would just have to take a P.E. class. They’ve sucked since that Fegan guy left anyways. Get rid of all the suck and focus on the winners. Garbage ass school.

Last edited:
We've never fully invested in football. It's been proven you can win here. The previous three coaches before Dimel all had winning seasons and bowl games.

This s*** show is 100% on Senter. Nobody else would have ever hired Dimel. This is a time for Wilson to show leadership and fire Senter and Dimel.

Title IX.... you drop football you also drop softball, volleyball, soccer rifle and tennis. Now we're talking about not having enough sports at all. There goes conference affiliation. Kiss the music program goodbye since marching band will be gone. Now we have a big stadium with no one in it not to mention the now unused Memorial Gym, Helen of Troy Field and University Stadium. That terminates the jobs of anyone who works the events or grounds.

You obviously don’t know how title 9 works. If you drop football, you don’t have to offer those woman’s sports, but you could keep them if you wanted to. Those sports were created because of football.

Reactions: kickballpro
You obviously don’t know how title 9 works. If you drop football, you don’t have to offer those woman’s sports, but you could keep them if you wanted to. Those sports were created because of football.

You drop football you lose conference affiliation. You lose sponsorship dollars, you lose donations. At that point you may as well drop to d3.

Not this again. I get everybody is upset on our current state of the football program but it was just 10 years ago that we were getting 25 to 35k in the stadium. Never in my life have I’ve seen such a doomsday attitude. Remember we got rid of Price because we were only winning 4 games a year. Now, it’s let’s drop D1 football.Typical overreaction. I guess y’all need a woman on this board to talk rationally.

Not this again. I get everybody is upset on our current state of the football program but it was just 10 years ago that we were getting 25 to 35k in the stadium. Never in my life have I’ve seen such a doomsday attitude. Remember we got rid of Price because we were only winning 4 games a year. Now, it’s let’s drop D1 football.Typical overreaction. I guess y’all need a woman on this board to talk rationally.

Wow, winning 4 games is a benchmark for success according to you. It’s fans like you who settle for a mediocre product and make sure UTEP continues its losing ways.

Price should have been fired a long time ago. We might be in a better conference right now, if we would have fired him when he deserved it. Instead we kept him around like Floyd because fans like you don’t want success

Wow, winning 4 games is a benchmark for success according to you. It’s fans like you who settle for a mediocre product and make sure UTEP continues its losing ways.

Price should have been fired a long time ago. We might be in a better conference right now, if we would have fired him when he deserved it. Instead we kept him around like Floyd because fans like you don’t want success
oh gawd, you're a student who is gonna graduate in 2023, a miner maniac at that. Price era would have put you like at 5

Price should have been fired a long time ago. We might be in a better conference right now, if we would have fired him when he deserved it. Instead we kept him around like Floyd because fans like you don’t want success[/QUOTE
Did I say it was a benchmark of success? I don’t recall stating that. As for mediocrity...you want to drop the program or drop D1....that sounds like a quitter to me.

When we had Mack Rhodes we had an amazing 3 year run. You just need to hire the right people. We haven't because of a lot of reasons. We hired ole ball coaches as Athletic Coodinators who were married to old ways of doing things. There are programs with even worse structural disadvantages than UTEP, who have way outperformed UTEP.

Say what you want about Natalicio as far as her attention to the athletic program, she changed the school's academic reputation.

Someone can do the same to our athletic program.

Here is the UTEP football won loss record over 82 years

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-el-paso/index.html

From 1972 through 1986 (15 years) UTEP won 4 games only twice in a season and the remainder of the time not more than 2 games. Unfortunately, this is the history of UTEP football that I know. Looks like UTEP is going back to this type of futility.

Since 1986 (32 years not including this one), UTEP has won more than 4 games only 10 times.

UTEP has won 172 games in 52 seasons (since 1968 - 1st year in the WAC). That averages to 3.3 games a year.

Sorry didn't see the previous post on nearly the same issue.

Last edited:
Im pissed off so I’m talking out my butt, spewing hate....but I’d say so what. Softball sucks, volleyball sucks, everything pretty much sucks cept for track and an up and coming b-ball team. And not as many people would lose their job as you might think. Labor crew sets up pretty much all athletic events, school events, shit even parties at the Presidents house. Same thing with grounds maintenance. Memorial gym is used more by students than actual people who go to a volleyball game. All those students in marching band are in concert band/jazz bands...jazz combos, orchestra, choral...fine arts won’t go away. Marching band would just have to take a P.E. class. They’ve sucked since that Fegan guy left anyways. Get rid of all the suck and focus on the winners. Garbage ass school.
If you fell that way why the hell are you following anything dealing with UTEP. Just leave and let those of us who care fight our way out of this era.

Yep you have the right to say any dumb ass thing you want. I have the right to put to call you out on it. Thank goodness for the ignore option.

Here is the UTEP football won loss record over 82 years

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-el-paso/index.html

From 1972 through 1986 (15 years) UTEP won 4 games only twice in a season and the remainder of the time not more than 2 games. Unfortunately, this is the history of UTEP football that I know. Looks like UTEP is going back to this type of futility.

Since 1986 (32 years not including this one), UTEP has won more than 4 games only 10 times.

UTEP has won 172 games in 52 seasons (since 1968 - 1st year in the WAC). That averages to 3.3 games a year.
This is who we are as a football program. Nowadays 3-9 should be considered a normal “decent” season. I’m starting to accept that reality and shouldn’t be mad because a coach can’t do better.

It’s called the First Amendment, you fascist sheep.

source.gif

This is who we are as a football program. Nowadays 3-9 should be considered a normal “decent” season. I’m starting to accept that reality and shouldn’t be mad because a coach can’t do better.

Except in your life, you wouldn’t accept that. You wouldn’t hire a guy to repair your car 3 out of 12 times correctly. You wouldn’t eat at a restaurant that got your order right 3 out of 12 times. You wouldn’t keep your job if you did it right 25% of the time. You wouldn’t continue dating someone that didn’t want to go out with you every 9 out of 12 times you asked.

But UTEP football, somehow that’s okay.

Except in your life, you wouldn’t accept that. You wouldn’t hire a guy to repair your car 3 out of 12 times correctly. You wouldn’t eat at a restaurant that got your order right 3 out of 12 times. You wouldn’t keep your job if you did it right 25% of the time. You wouldn’t continue dating someone that didn’t want to go out with you every 9 out of 12 times you asked.

But UTEP football, somehow that’s okay.

You’re fond of analogies, but yours are often flawed because sports, unlike much of life, is a zero sum game. One team wins and one loses. Using your job analogy, you might be quite successful if, for example, you were in sales and had a 25% closing ratio.

Reactions: develman
You’re fond of analogies, but yours are often flawed because sports, unlike much of life, is a zero sum game. One team wins and one loses. Using your job analogy, you might be quite successful if, for example, you were in sales and had a 25% closing ratio.

Sure, but I didn’t mention that example did I? Rarely anytime is 25% successful in sports. Even then, this coach has been successful 10.5% of his time here. More than half as bad as 25%

Sure, but I didn’t mention that example did I? Rarely anytime is 25% successful in sports. Even then, this coach has been successful 10.5% of his time here. More than half as bad as 25%

OK, let’s use your dating example. Three yesses out of twelve asks is still three dates. And you can still get other dates on the side.

OK, let’s use your dating example. Three yesses out of twelve asks is still three dates. And you can still get other dates on the side.

That’s pretty desperate to keep asking someone who turns you down 75% of the time. And you can’t have multiple football coaches, so in my example, you move on from that person. You know, like a school with ambition and goals would.

Or let's not. As Miner fans, we have suffered during football season more than any fan base ever should. Winning seasons have been an incredibly rare appearance in the Far West Texas desert. That said, winning seasons have happened. And they can happen again.

Stull was able to win with Yung's recruits and some key ones of his own (Patrick Heggarty, for example) sprinkled in. No one knows what would have happened if he had stayed. Despite the hatred for him here, Bailey built up a team, Nord was able to take it to a bowl game. Unfortunately, Nord seemed to have lost the respect of his team as his tenure went on. One thing that we learned in hindsight, however: the man knew his to recruit to UTEP.

We found that out with Price. One thing that we eventually also found out with Price: he didn't know how to recruit to UTEP. One other thing: his lack of team discipline caught up to him as the season, and the seasons, wore on.

Each of the coaches mentioned abovd, well, except for Yung and Bailey, brought winning seasons to El Paso. Even Kugler was responsible for a winning season and a bowl game. But, as noted, in between there has been a lot failure. A whole lot of failure.

I believe that there are coaches out there that can both recruit to El Paso, teach their recruits, and maintain the fine line of establishing discipline without being overbearing. We've hired a few that could do some of the above, but we need to hire a coach who can do all of the above.

In order to find this coach the athletic director needs to make sure he does a few things. If he hires someone who has been a head coach before, he needs to hire someone who has had a lot of success as a head coach. We cannot take a chance on a coach who has a poor, or uneven, coaching record. If we hire an assistant, it needs to be a highly respected coordinator from a successful program. While I'm sure that there are several position coaches that would make good head coaches, we don't need to be the school that gives them a chance.

Following the above increases, but doesn't ensure, that we will get a good coach. Once the coach is here, the AD needs to monitor his progress. Is the team losing because of a lack of talent left him from the previous head coach, or is it an issue with discipline, play calling, poor scheme, and/or a lack a preparation. A new coach isn't responsible for the former, but is for all of the latter. As the coach's career continues, his team's progress, or lack thereof, should be monitored and assessed. The AD should not hesitate to take appropriate action on an underperforming coach.

I believe that we have, time and time again, made poor hires for head football coach. We have also been too slow at firing coaches who don't produce. From the way it looks now, Senter made a bad choice on his first hire. Let's hope that he makes a good choice the second time around.

Or let's not. As Miner fans, we have suffered during football season more than any fan base ever should. Winning seasons have been an incredibly rare appearance in the Far West Texas desert. That said, winning seasons have happened. And they can happen again.

Stull was able to win with Yung's recruits and some key ones of his own (Patrick Heggarty, for example) sprinkled in. No one knows what would have happened if he had stayed. Despite the hatred for him here, Bailey built up a team, Nord was able to take it to a bowl game. Unfortunately, Nord seemed to have lost the respect of his team as his tenure went on. One thing that we learned in hindsight, however: the man knew his to recruit to UTEP.

We found that out with Price. One thing that we eventually also found out with Price: he didn't know how to recruit to UTEP. One other thing: his lack of team discipline caught up to him as the season, and the seasons, wore on.

Each of the coaches mentioned abovd, well, except for Yung and Bailey, brought winning seasons to El Paso. Even Kugler was responsible for a winning season and a bowl game. But, as noted, in between there has been a lot failure. A whole lot of failure.

I believe that there are coaches out there that can both recruit to El Paso, teach their recruits, and maintain the fine line of establishing discipline without being overbearing. We've hired a few that could do some of the above, but we need to hire a coach who can do all of the above.

In order to find this coach the athletic director needs to make sure he does a few things. If he hires someone who has been a head coach before, he needs to hire someone who has had a lot of success as a head coach. We cannot take a chance on a coach who has a poor, or uneven, coaching record. If we hire an assistant, it needs to be a highly respected coordinator from a successful program. While I'm sure that there are several position coaches that would make good head coaches, we don't need to be the school that gives them a chance.

Following the above increases, but doesn't ensure, that we will get a good coach. Once the coach is here, the AD needs to monitor his progress. Is the team losing because of a lack of talent left him from the previous head coach, or is it an issue with discipline, play calling, poor scheme, and/or a lack a preparation. A new coach isn't responsible for the former, but is for all of the latter. As the coach's career continues, his team's progress, or lack thereof, should be monitored and assessed. The AD should not hesitate to take appropriate action on an underperforming coach.

I believe that we have, time and time again, made poor hires for head football coach. We have also been too slow at firing coaches who don't produce. From the way it looks now, Senter made a bad choice on his first hire. Let's hope that he makes a good choice the second time around.

Names?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT