ADVERTISEMENT

Let's help UTEP with Football Attendance

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Especially for the opener in week 0 vs UNT.

NOWins1992 suggested a ticket sales booth at Cielo Vista Mall. I second that. Also have something to draw interest to the booth like discount coupons for local eateries.

How about special deals for the 25k EPCC students and ticket sales on site for them.

Does UTEP provide a supervised kids area? If not they should provide that at no or low cost.

How about some cheap transportation from a few key places around the city. I used to attend some U of Wis games and the univ provided buses and charged 1 or 2 bucks to ride to the stadium.

Provide enough inexpensive seats to draw fans to parts of the stadium (east side) that are usually empty.

I'm sure you guys and gals have more and better ideas so let's see them!

This is a noble idea, but we all know Senter won't try much more than half-assed solutions.

I'm actually in shock that they offered some decent ticket and meal combos last season.

But he (and Stull in his day) seem averse to grassroots efforts thst would build a new generation of fans.

Back in the early late 1990's/early 2000's there used to be several Family Fun areas around the stadium for free. I left El Paso in 2008, so I don't know how long that continued. My guess they cut those kinds of things out because of potential liability exposure.

NOWins1992 suggested a ticket sales booth at Cielo Vista Mall. I second that. Also have something to draw interest to the booth like discount coupons for local eateries.

How about special deals for the 25k EPCC students and ticket sales on site for them.

Does UTEP provide a supervised kids area? If not they should provide that at no or low cost.

How about some cheap transportation from a few key places around the city. I used to attend some U of Wis games and the univ provided buses and charged 1 or 2 bucks to ride to the stadium.

Provide enough inexpensive seats to draw fans to parts of the stadium (east side) that are usually empty.

There was a supervise kids area in Kidd field (you could see it walking to that entrance) and Sun Metro ran game day free buses from the East side. That I know was a bust

College athletics games are not for kids.
You know what Fili, you're right. Kids should not go to college athletics games. People who have kids should just stay home. No one on here is a fan because they used to go to games with their folks. My own kids never had fun at UTEP games when they were young, cheering for guys like Jordan Palmer, Howard Jackson, Thomas Howard, Johnny Lee Higgins, Quentin Demps, Trevor Vittatoe, Donald Buckram, and a host of other football players. Nor did they enjoy watching Fili Rivera, Omar Thomas, John Tofi, Gio St Amant, Jason Williams, Stefon Jackson, Randy Culpepper, Julian Stone, Julian Washburn, Vince Hunter, or several other Miner hoops stars. I wish that you would have been around back then to tell me to leave them home. What was I thinking?

Oh, and by the way, I know that I didn't place any emoji above, including whatever you think is the proper sarcasm emoji. I also know that your sarcasm detector is broken, and probably has been your entire life. So to make it clear to you, this post is complete sarcasm, and your post is really, really stupid.

It would probably be cheaper and more efficient if we just did $5 tickets.
$5 tickets are fine for the season opener, if you expect to win. If Senter and Dimel expect to beat UNT, they should offer it.

I am concerned that the game “could” be moved for TV purposes and start before 7pm. Play this thing during the day, and you can forget about a good crowd.

$5 tickets are fine for the season opener, if you expect to win. If Senter and Dimel expect to beat UNT, they should offer it.

I am concerned that the game “could” be moved for TV purposes and start before 7pm. Play this thing during the day, and you can forget about a good crowd.
Imo if we're gonna spend more money in promoting than we'll make in ticket sales then it's better to go with old trusty cheap tickets.

With a limited number of games being played on week 0, I suspect you're right about the game being selected for tv. But I have a feeling that it will turn into a later than normal starting time similar to the UTSA game last season.

1a184ed4-a754-4843-8319-d3c7bba8760a_text.gif

I've always believed the kids zones were a bad idea. Sure, the kids want to play in it, but that would require the adults to go with them. Why do you want to go to watch a game if you can't watch the game?
You can look at it one of two ways. I can understand your point but at the same time that stuff is for little kids who probably have little to no interest in football. And I would imagine we’ve been to games where kids are mad because they have to sit around for 3 hours with nothing to do. If you can maybe tire your kid out a little bit before the game or at halftime it’s probably a help.

Reactions: denverutep
I've always believed the kids zones were a bad idea. Sure, the kids want to play in it, but that would require the adults to go with them. Why do you want to go to watch a game if you can't watch the game?
We used to arrive to the games when they gates opened. My youngest at the time would love to play in the kids zone, my older two enjoyed playing with him. Just before kickoff we'd find our seats. It was great; my little one looked forward to going to the games just as much as his older brothers. My one complaint in how they did it was that they'd go from the time gates opened to the end of the first half. I would have preferred that shut it down a few minutes after kickoff to get butts in seats, then opened it back up from the end of the half until a few minutes after the second half started. This way you could have let antsy kids who had been sitting still for 90 minutes or so run around for a little bit at halftime.

Still, I thought that the kids zone was awesome. It allowed families the ability to come with their little ones, as those kids had something to look forward to. It helped instill a love of going to watch sports in my kids. And if you don't like kids zones, no one is forcing you to take your kids there; let other parents enjoy them with their kids.

It's funny to me that some would have the backlash against kids zones, especially when all of the NFL teams have migrated to some type of kids zone areas in all their playing and practice facilities (eg The Star in Dallas). Here in Nashville, they are going to build an indoor stadium for the Titans and include activities for every age to the tune of about $30 million for that project alone. It's a given that when you engage the kids at every level they become fans when they grow into adulthood.

Here’s the thing, how “invested” do you want to be in the game? If watching every play is something you want to do, then find a babysitter or stay home and watch it on TV. Almost all the games are on some kind of TV.

For games like Bethune Cookman and Rice, you can spend a few minutes not watching the game and spending it at the Kids Zone. For more “important” games, like UTSA - don’t bring the kids.

You can also bring mobile devices and keep them entertained a bit longer than in the 80s or 90s. Kids definitely belong at games, especially if they’re 10 and older. Leave your diapered kids at home.

You know what Fili, you're right. Kids should not go to college athletics games. People who have kids should just stay home. No one on here is a fan because they used to go to games with their folks. My own kids never had fun at UTEP games when they were young, cheering for guys like Jordan Palmer, Howard Jackson, Thomas Howard, Johnny Lee Higgins, Quentin Demps, Trevor Vittatoe, Donald Buckram, and a host of other football players. Nor did they enjoy watching Fili Rivera, Omar Thomas, John Tofi, Gio St Amant, Jason Williams, Stefon Jackson, Randy Culpepper, Julian Stone, Julian Washburn, Vince Hunter, or several other Miner hoops stars. I wish that you would have been around back then to tell me to leave them home. What was I thinking?

Oh, and by the way, I know that I didn't place any emoji above, including whatever you think is the proper sarcasm emoji. I also know that your sarcasm detector is broken, and probably has been your entire life. So to make it clear to you, this post is complete sarcasm, and your post is really, really stupid.

Get a baby sitter leave the kids at home. If you want to take your kids somewhere take them to Peter Piper or that new children's science museum that is opening. College football and Basketball is not really for kids. It's okay for like 14yrs and older. I know this a bad example but look what happened at the soccer game in Mexico?? Fathers running with their kids. College games are no better. I hear SEC games are bad. UTEP has a popular video on YouTube, huge fight on the parking lot. Oh yeah lets build a kid zone and that will make it more kid friendly. Lol That's like building a kid zone in the playboy mansion. Leave the kids at home.

If you don't want a future fan base, then yes, make the games as kid unfriendly as possible.

What you want a kids pool also?? Hey UTEP should have clowns all over the stadium and they could make animal balloons for the kids. Lol

Here’s the thing, how “invested” do you want to be in the game? If watching every play is something you want to do, then find a babysitter or stay home and watch it on TV. Almost all the games are on some kind of TV.

For games like Bethune Cookman and Rice, you can spend a few minutes not watching the game and spending it at the Kids Zone. For more “important” games, like UTSA - don’t bring the kids.

You can also bring mobile devices and keep them entertained a bit longer than in the 80s or 90s. Kids definitely belong at games, especially if they’re 10 and older. Leave your diapered kids at home.
I took my kids to the kids zone every game. Before the game. We were all in our seats by kickoff. I've taken every age of my kids to games from infant to 30 years old (my oldest rode with me to the UTEP at UTSA basketball game this year). If you somehow think that kids are a distraction then get a babysitter. If you love spending time with your kids then bring them to the games and grow a new generation of fan. I wouldn't go back in time and do anything different when it comes to taking my kids to games.

You guys are effing ridiculous. Just go ahead and attack every single thought that doesn't fall in line with YOUR thoughts. (I am going to go there....liberal ways of thinking) Focusing on a family friendly environment is a good idea. Having kids zones at UTEP is stupid. I have a 10 year old. I am NOT taking him to a game to got to a stupid kid zone. I will take him to enjoy a football/basketball game. My son does get bored during the games and switches to our phones. Making ME take him to play in a fun zone makes ME not want to go. THEN spending a shitload of money in concessions to miss most of the game is not cool.
Betcha money I am not the only one in town feeling this way...we LOVE our basketball.....guess what? NO stupid fun zone.

You guys are effing ridiculous. Just go ahead and attack every single thought that doesn't fall in line with YOUR thoughts. (I am going to go there....liberal ways of thinking) Focusing on a family friendly environment is a good idea. Having kids zones at UTEP is stupid. I have a 10 year old. I am NOT taking him to a game to got to a stupid kid zone. I will take him to enjoy a football/basketball game. My son does get bored during the games and switches to our phones. Making ME take him to play in a fun zone makes ME not want to go. THEN spending a shitload of money in concessions to miss most of the game is not cool.
Betcha money I am not the only one in town feeling this way...we LOVE our basketball.....guess what? NO stupid fun zone.
Hmm. Is it me, or are you attacking a thought that doesn't fall in line with YOUR thoughts. No one is going to force you to take your son to a kids zone. And again, I took my kids to the kids zone and didn't miss a minute of the action. We went BEFORE the game, and were in our seats during the game. Everyone had a good time (especially if the Miners won). Oh, and if I had a choice between having my sons doing something active before a game, or sitting on their phones AGAIN before a game, I'll take the activity any day. Finally, we're talking about sports and kids. Last I checked conservatives like sports and kids. Liberals like sports and kids. Moderates like sports and kids. How do you make this into a conservative versus liberal thing?

Last edited:
I have no dog in this fight and don’t care either way, but I gotta ask, how is what you’re doing any different? Honest question.

What do you care if there’s a kid zone or not? Use it if you want, don’t if you don’t want to. Simple enough it seems.

I'm not addressing you, per say. While YOU may have taken YOUR kids to the fun zone before the games, that was NOT the target. UTEP , using the fun zone, is attempting to attract families into the fun zone.
Fun zone takes away from the game. period. It does ZERO for the game and fans.
I feel you are one of the most educated posters on here. However, if someone disagrees, you attack..You have attacked me several times and been derogatory. This makes you look petty. Again...I am done.

• Haha
I have no dog in this fight and don’t care either way, but I gotta ask, how is what you’re doing any different? Honest question.

What do you care if there’s a kid zone or not? Use it if you want, don’t if you don’t want to. Simple enough it seems.
Easy...I am pointing out what you are doing, since you guys are clueless....

• Haha
I'm not addressing you, per say. While YOU may have taken YOUR kids to the fun zone before the games, that was NOT the target. UTEP , using the fun zone, is attempting to attract families into the fun zone.
I feel you are one of the most educated posters on here. However, if someone disagrees, you attack..You have attacked me several times and been derogatory. This makes you look petty. Again...I am done.
For someone who obviously hates “snowflakes”, you certainly act like one. What you are calling an “attack”, is hardly such.

This is a message board, disagreeing with someone is what happens.

Easy...I am pointing out what you are doing, since you guys are clueless....
How am I doing that? Yeah, I have an opinion on many things (not this matter), but I know what I say is just that…an opinion. Which has no claim of ownership of right or wrong.

**** man, didn’t think I’d be saying this after your hospitality at your old place, but good riddance, man.

Do you guys really want me to post all the youtube videos of what happens at Utep games?? Do we really want to go down that road? Taking a little kid to to college sporting event is like taking a kid to watch a Rated R movie. Kid friendly sports for kids are Pro Basketball and some football and for sure baseball.

• Haha
Do you guys really want me to post all the youtube videos of what happens at Utep games?? Do we really want to go down that road? Taking a little kid to to college sporting event is like taking a kid to watch a Rated R movie. Kid friendly sports for kids are Pro Basketball and some football and for sure baseball.
Rec league basketball can’t be safe either, it’s where the big boys play…. Am I right?

nudge-right.gif

• Haha

Nobody is attacking you. We are disagreeing with you. Big difference.

Nobody is attacking you and nobody is being derogatory against you. LOL

Reactions: TxRdKiller

Looks like it’s going to be a sellout!

Put a lazy river, petting zoo, and a roller coaster in the parking lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT