ADVERTISEMENT

Let's start our search for head FB coach.

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
FB coaches to look at for next season. All have had recruiting ties to Texas and all are winners as head coaches.

Steve Campbell at Central Arkansas. Successful FCS coach.

Adam Dorrel in first year at ACU but muliple NC's at Div II NW Missouri St.

K. C. Keeler at SHSU. Successful FCS coach.

Sonny Dykes, successful at La Tech before California and current offensive consultant at TCU.

Broderick Fobbs, doing well at FCS Grambling St.

Bo Pellini at FCS Youngstown St.

I think if any of those above coaches took the job you would need to check their sanity... utep football is a coaching graveyard!

I think if any of those above coaches took the job you would need to check their sanity... utep football is a coaching graveyard!

Disagree. Perhaps under the current administration it is, but Stull (as head coach) and Price both demonstrated that it is possible to field a decent/good team from time to time. With admin support, we might even be able to be good more than from just time to time.

I like the Sonny Dykes idea. Good offensive mind to generate some excitement. Texas recruiting ties. All in.

We will have a good shot at Dykes if we pay in the million dollar range, but have no chance if we pay him what we usually pay.

Did you see Kuglers face during post game? The man looked like he really was going to hit anyone with a camera or recording device in his face and too make matters worse two of them asked the same question twice. I'll give him credit for maintaing calm.

UTEP has too much experience in this and I don't mean that in a good way. They will survive.

The Lee, Bailey, Nord departures did not happen without some pain but with Stull retiring you have to make sure the bilge pump is working 24/7 and water coming in minimally. Keep players focused. keep assistants and their wives comfy. Smile at the waitress at Village Inn and for gawd sake don't get drunk at a local establishment (and then get behind the wheel).

Asst. Aych from Arizona. He will turn around the program. It will take time and he'll book it elsewhere but he'll get it done.

All those coaches sound great, but did any of them coach under or play under Bob Stull when he was Head Coach back in the 80s?

Maybe one of the players became a pretty good high school coach or at least coordinator?

A lot of people would be really happy to coach at UTEP. Worst case scenario sign a four year deal at half a million a year and if you lose, no biggie, move on and be a coordinator. You win and you're looking at a P5 job. Sweet deal either way.

Head Coach at UTEP is better than 98% of jobs out there. Better than coaching at FCS, Div 3, JUCO, High School, being a position coach, coordinator at most places. It shouldn't be impossible to find someone competent who can compete against C-USA level competition.

Over the past few years, I have really begun to like the way that TCU plays, especially on defense. Obviously they have a different level of athlete, but I really like the way that they play from an X’s and O’s perspective. I know that Patterson is very hands on, but I wonder if there is any TCU assistant coach that has groomed under him long enough and also checks all of the other potential Head Coaching boxes? Seeing that Dykes is currently a part of that staff is a big plus in my book.

No to Pelini. He is a PR nitemare in the making. I had players at NU and they said he is top shelf asshole to everyone. That's why no one tried to save his ass lol.

I say we bring Andre Patterson back. He was doing a good job with the defense and he understands El Paso and what we need to win as far as recruiting.

I would love to have any TCU assistant coach as our next head coach as well. IMO, TCU has been the best college football program in the state of Texas since 2010. Patterson is one of the best in college football.

Other suggestions, Eric Morris Offensive Coordinator at Texas Tech. Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator at Houston.

Other suggestions, Eric Morris Offensive Coordinator at Texas Tech. Brian Johnson Offensive Coordinator at Houston.
Brian Johnson is a solid name.

Old college QB, bring the spread back and let's raid The Houston area for athletes, I like his background with quarterbacks, and he's originally from the Houston area which always helps in recruiting.

Problem or question is will UTEP and the new AD and boosters open their pockets for a bigger hire at HC (i.e. Pelini) and or give a "hot coordinator" a decent money pool to hire legit assistant coaches and not Chuck Veliz types. UTSA gave Frank Wilson a nice money pool to work with and his defensive coordinator might be calling plays in the SEC next year.

I hope we go with a young aggressive HC or coordinator. We don't need a recycled HC with baggage. Utep has enough problems in getting recruits. We don't need questions about the attitude or problems the HC had.

Reactions: Rot
I say we bring Andre Patterson back. He was doing a good job with the defense and he understands El Paso and what we need to win as far as recruiting.

Post of the year - but that ship sailed...

Andre Patterson was UTEP's best recruit during Mike Price's last 3-4 years. He was everything Sean Kugler was not - NFL Defensive Coordinator, College Head Coach, College Defensive Coordinator, excellent talent analyst/recruiter, and he knew how to get kids to play for him. And the hell of it all was Patterson wanted to be at UTEP. But Stull (and most UTEP fans) wanted "one of their own".

In '12 (Price's last season), UTEP was undersized on defense but extremely quick and fast. Patterson knew this, coached to his talent and utilized lots of joker looks, twists, stunts, etc. And he also could get his kids to really play for him. Bend but don't break defense, C+ talent with A+ coaching. Result? UTEP finished 4th out of 12 teams in C-USA that season in points allowed. Offense couldn't score on a prostitute that year and finished 12/12 in points scored. W/L record didn't show it but UTEP played better than average defense under Patterson. And remember, that was the season UTEP played at A&M/Manziel and C-USA was still loaded with Houston (Keenum), Central Florida (Bortles), Tulsa (Kinney), Marshall, SMU, ECU, etc.

In '13, Stull hires Kugler who hires Stoker who installs a 4-2-5 defense, the absolute worst scheme for the returning talent he inherited. With predictable results. Patterson is hired by Vikings as Dline coach, Stoker banishes Robert Rodriguez to dog house (special teams), Patterson can't hire Rodriguez fast enough to be his assistant in Minnesota.

In '17, UTEP is the worst football program in FBS...

Last edited:
Post of the year - but that ship sailed...

Andre Patterson was UTEP's best recruit during Mike Price's last 3-4 years. He was everything Sean Kugler was not - NFL Defensive Coordinator, College Head Coach, College Defensive Coordinator, excellent talent analyst/recruiter, and he knew how to get kids to play for him. And the hell of it all was Patterson wanted to be at UTEP. But Stull (and most UTEP fans) wanted "one of their own".

In '12 (Price's last season), UTEP was undersized on defense but extremely quick and fast. Patterson knew this, coached to his talent and utilized lots of joker looks, twists, stunts, etc. And he also could get his kids to really play for him. Bend but don't break defense, C+ talent with A+ coaching. Result? UTEP finished 4th out of 12 teams in C-USA that season in points allowed. Offense couldn't score on a prostitute that year and finished 12/12 in points scored. W/L record didn't show it but UTEP played better than average defense under Patterson. And remember, that was the season UTEP played at A&M/Manziel and C-USA was still loaded with Houston (Keenum), Central Florida (Bortles), Tulsa (Kinney), Marshall, SMU, ECU, etc.

In '13, Stull hires Kugler who hires Stoker who installs a 4-2-5 defense, the absolute worst scheme for the returning talent he inherited. With predictable results. Patterson is hired by Vikings as Dline coach, Stoker banishes Robert Rodriguez to dog house (special teams), Patterson can't hire Rodriguez fast enough to be his assistant in Minnesota.

In '17, UTEP is the worst football program in FBS...
Interesting post, what kind of offense would he run?

Interesting post, what kind of offense would he run?

Guess we'll never know, will we? My guess is he'd have offensive and defensive philosophies that compliment each other and take advantage of the incredible high school football in the state of Texas. Imagine that?

what about going after a minority coach. A Hispanic coach that would love El Paso.ALso a African American coaches are always looking for Head Coaching jobs. that are not getting a fair share.

Mario Cristobal OC at Oregon: Cuban-American use to be head coach at FIU

Manny Diaz DC at Miami

its all i can find of hispanic coaches that are OCs or DCs.

Guess we'll never know, will we? My guess is he'd have offensive and defensive philosophies that compliment each other and take advantage of the incredible high school football in the state of Texas. Imagine that?

Mike Price did that with that so so results. All that happened was a handful of Big XII schools quietly shadowed Price recruiting and poach them come LOI day when their desired pick fell through. Califas has been good to UTEP. That has to be maintained. But don't get me wrong, Texas is primary territory. Okie State has one of the best recievers in the country and he was from a 1A district not far from Abilene. So who knows?

what about going after a minority coach. A Hispanic coach that would love El Paso.ALso a African American coaches are always looking for Head Coaching jobs. that are not getting a fair share.

Manny Diaz DC at Miami

[Texas Senator Rodriguez gives this two thumbs up]

Just get the best? Que no?

[Texas Senator Rodriguez gives this two thumbs up]

Just get the best? Que no?

but we are not getting the best. Mike Price was fired and Utep had to give him a second chance, Sean Kuglar had no college football experience.Tim Floyd was old baggage. Utep is so proud of its 1966 team and they have only had 1 minority mens coach in its whole history.

Manny Diaz DC at Miami

I am sorry but cristobal just got to Oregon and you are not going to take him!

find a minority coach?? Why is that even an option?? Who cares what they are as long as they can coach Good lord! Why is it always race now a days? It's so ridiculous

Reactions: MinerJo
find a minority coach?? Why is that even an option?? Who cares what they are as long as they can coach Good lord! Why is it always race now a days? It's so ridiculous

During the basketball coaching search didnt a lot of people a coach with latin roots. Remember when Filiberto Rivera was here and we had sort of the Puerto Rico pipeline. Whats the difference in that situation? Whats so wrong in looking for a hispanic coach to work in a Hispanic community?

I think I speak for everyone on this board when I say, I could give two sh*ts whether the coach coach is white, black, Hispanic, Asian. Whether he recruits white players, black players, local players, Samoans, or whatever else. I just want the best candidate, and the best players that we can get.

I think I speak for everyone on this board when I say, I could give two sh*ts whether the coach coach is white, black, Hispanic, Asian. Whether he recruits white players, black players, local players, Samoans, or whatever else. I just want the best candidate, and the best players that we can get.

Welll you dont speak for me. I say go for a minority coach ( a Hispanic coach) but it doesnt matter. Need to try something different. Somebody that can relate to El Paso.

Tony Barbee did not "relate to El Paso" at all, and he did very well. Kugler can "relate" to El Paso because he has played at UTEP and now we are one the worst teams in college football. Whether or not a coach "relates" to El Paso doesn't mean sh*t. College sports is all about W's and L's. If your winning people will come out.

So lets say 3 people apply for the UTEP football coaching job. Chuck Veliz, Sonny Dikes, and Kevin Sumlin. Your saying we should hire Veliz since he is hispanic and can relate to El Paso? haha

Welll you dont speak for me. I say go for a minority coach ( a Hispanic coach) but it doesnt matter. Need to try something different. Somebody that can relate to El Paso.

To each his own. But any AD would be making a serious mistake by denying any coach a job based on race or promoting a coach based solely on race for that matter. Qualifications should trump all in my opinion.

In a perfect world, if UTEP were to try something different I hope they would open up the pocketbook and pay some serious cash for a coach.

Reactions: develman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT