ADVERTISEMENT

Let's start our search for head FB coach.

Sorry Jcorona!!! You are correct!!! I was thinking of minerproud, not you.

I'm just trying to get people excited about our possibilities for a new coach.

Sorry Jcorona!!! You are correct!!! I was thinking of minerproud, not you.

I'm just trying to get people excited about our possibilities for a new coach.
I’m with you let’s get the best coach possible in here.

I’m a bit confused or maybe I’ve taken a bit too many kettle one shots but aren’t you minerproud?

LOL!!! Ok my mind is somewhere else!! I'm here because I'm trying to get mind off the Texas Tech shooting! My son is going there!

LOL!!! Ok my mind is somewhere else!! I'm here because I'm trying to get mind off the Texas Tech shooting! My son is going there!
Good thing your son is safe. But damn another unnecessary tragedy in America.

I’m with you let’s get the best coach possible in here.

I’m a bit confused or maybe I’ve taken a bit too many kettle one shots but aren’t you minerproud?

The way he kept referring to himself, as himself, got me thinking that this recent strain of Blue Dream had me off in LaLa Land.

Reactions: JCorona
The way he kept referring to himself, as himself, got me thinking that this recent strain of Blue Dream had me off in LaLa Land.
Haha I tried ignoring the first third person reference as a mild mistake but the second one had me tripping.

Oh what I wouldn’t do to switch back from legal mind altering to an illegal one.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I admit I haven't gone through this entire thread so I don't know if he was mentioned, but how about Ivin Jasper the OC at Navy?

UTEP needs to do one of two things...

Either they fully commit to an Air Raid style or they fully commit to a Triple Option.

Anything in between won't work long term with the recruiting challenges we face.

Others have mentioned coaches in the Air Raid bucket (Sonny Cumbie, Graham Harrell, etc.) so here is an outstanding candidate on the other side of the spectrum.

I don't pretend to know what it would take to get Jasper here or whether he would even want the job.

But he's worth a look-see.

Whoever our new HC is had better be offensive minded and bring in some JC skill people for next season. He also should keep Mason and the defensive staff on board because they are doing well now.

Reactions: develman
Possibly look at Jeff Banks, a Mike Price protege who played at Wash St, coached there as a GA, coached at UTEP for all of Mike Price's time at UTEP as ST Coord, RB and TE coach. Now the recruiting coordinator and ST coordinator at Texas A&M in his 5th yr there.

Reactions: axingfools1
Possibly look at Jeff Banks, a Mike Price protege who played at Wash St, coached there as a GA, coached at UTEP for all of Mike Price's time at UTEP as ST Coord, RB and TE coach. Now the recruiting coordinator and ST coordinator at Texas A&M in his 5th yr there.
This guy way highly touted as a ST coordinator and recruiter if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Funny story about Jeff Banks. Back when he Coached here at UTEP, he was one of the UTEP Coaches who came to speak at a local Coaches Clinic, where they brought in a few College Coaches to speak to some of the local High School Coaches. Most of the Coaches got up and gave their presentations, explained their philosophies, answered some questions. It was all very polite. It was relaxed and even somewhat boring at times.

Then Jeff Banks gets up and he starts teaching how they block punts. He immediately begins talking with this crazy energy and passion. He starts drawing his X's and O's on the white board and then he starts dropping F bombs left and right. Stuff like, "this guy is going to f'n seal this off, and this guy is going to come through this f'n gap right here, then this guy will come around the edge like his F'n hair is on fire". Everyone sat up, the entire vibe changed. There were old Coaches walking out of that room saying "Sh!t, I don't want to go to lunch right now....I want to go block a punt!" Jeff Banks got the coaches fired up and afterwards they were walking around the lobby looking for a punt to block.

He certainly was the most memorable. That was a while ago. I honestly don't know if he is now ready to be a D1 Coach yet or not.

Last edited:
Another good possibility, and there are a number of them, is Billy Napier, OC at Arizona St. He is known as a top recruiter as well as having a great offense. Only 37 yrs old.

Coaching Experience
2017-Present, Arizona State (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2013-2017, Alabama (Wide Receivers)
2012, Colorado State (Assistant HC/Quarterbacks)
2011, Alabama (Offensive Analyst)
2009-2010, Clemson (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2006-2008, Clemson (Tight Ends/Recruiting Coordinator)
2005, South Carolina State (Quarterbacks)
2004, Clemson (Defensive Grad. Assistant)
2003, Clemson (Graduate Assistant)

Another good possibility, and there are a number of them, is Billy Napier, OC at Arizona St. He is known as a top recruiter as well as having a great offense. Only 37 yrs old.

Coaching Experience
2017-Present, Arizona State (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2013-2017, Alabama (Wide Receivers)
2012, Colorado State (Assistant HC/Quarterbacks)
2011, Alabama (Offensive Analyst)
2009-2010, Clemson (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2006-2008, Clemson (Tight Ends/Recruiting Coordinator)
2005, South Carolina State (Quarterbacks)
2004, Clemson (Defensive Grad. Assistant)
2003, Clemson (Graduate Assistant)

Do it Diana! Interview him! Ask him to apply.

There are assistants drooling right now because now is the year some p5 HC vacancies will open up and they need new assistants and that's not including lower tier FBS and FCS (nothing wrong starting a head coaching at a FCS school. It can lead to greener pastures).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT