ADVERTISEMENT

Louisiana Tech

Prospero915

Rookie
Nov 16, 2014
How good are they? They barely squeaked by winless Southern Miss by 1 pt earlier this season.

They are 22 pt underdogs vs ranked BYU. (Friday night on ESPN2).

Let's do the unthinkable!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
How good are they? They barely squeaked by winless Southern Miss by 1 pt earlier this season.

They are 22 pt underdogs vs ranked BYU. (Friday night on ESPN2).

Let's do the unthinkable!
Thats true that they squeaked by USM but they were missing 22 players due to covid including a number of starters. The byu game will be interesting.

Reactions: Prospero915
I feel like UTEP was able to get a bigger push against ULM, than the Texas FCS teams they played? When I think of La Tech, I think of a well coached team. I also see them as a more physical team on defense, sorta like USM always seems to be... If BYU goes out and beats them silly, they may see UTEP as a redemption game. The image for UTEP is still pretty bleak conference wide. I think most of us can agree, we finally have a decent QB, that is still learning. He is night and day from any QB since TV? That makes a world of difference, and it has shown. Put another QB from the last number of years in there, and they could easily be 0-4 right now.

Attn Dimel: Start Hankins, don't play Brownholtz, keep suring up the OL and our DBs and stay aggressive (and by aggressive I mean play calling and keeping the pedal to the metal, not making dumb decisions). Things may have been different without COVID, but now you actually have a chance to show some good progression this year. Don't mess it up! Use our winning to do some recruiting too.

This really is the blueprint for Miner football going forward. Two tough OOC games doom these teams year in and year out. F*ck the money, it’s not worth getting pounded 2 out of 4 games a year going into conference. Next year it’s UNM, @NMSU, Bethune-Cookman and @Boise St. With everyone returning next year there is a strong possibility we start the season 3-1 again. That’s how it needs to be done. Reminds me of Billy G.’s schedule with basketball, just beat up lesser teams out of conference and slowly ramp it up. No need to get blown out and do your team in so early in the season.

Do not expect for La Tech to lose by 22 against BYU, but I expect a solid BYU performance. Cougars are good this year, Top 10 good.

La Tech knows how to put it in fifth gear for these games.

Holtz does not need this game, he needs a conference title because La Tech wants a conference title. The bowl wins against P5 teams are great but a crown along with a nice bowl win is what Ruston wants.

Reactions: Prospero915
Do not expect for La Tech to lose by 22 against BYU, but I expect a solid BYU performance. Cougars are good this year, Top 10 good.

La Tech knows how to put it in fifth gear for these games.

Holtz does not need this game, he needs a conference title because La Tech wants a conference title. The bowl wins against P5 teams are great but a crown along with a nice bowl win is what Ruston wants.

BYU will curbstomp LA Tech. They beat down Troy and Troy is better than LA Tech. BYU 66 La Tech3

The hate for LT is strong here. There’s absolutely no way Troy is better than LT. Troy’s big wins last year; FCS, 0-12 Akron, 2-10 USA, 3-9 Texas St, & 7-6 Georgia Southern. This year their only win is against MTSU, who is looking like a complete train wreck.

LT will hold their own vs BYU. At the very least they’ll do a lot better than Navy and Troy.

Reactions: utep2step
The hate for LT is strong here. There’s absolutely no way Troy is better than LT. Troy’s big wins last year; FCS, 0-12 Akron, 2-10 USA, 3-9 Texas St, & 7-6 Georgia Southern. This year their only win is against MTSU, who is looking like a complete train wreck.

LT will hold their own vs BYU. At the very least they’ll do a lot better than Navy and Troy.

It was a rebuilding year for Troy. No hate for LA Tech. Troy would beat LA Tech 10.

I saw LaTech vs HBU and I thought their offense was an A+. Don't know how they will do against BYU ( my guess better than want most think here). What I do know is they won't have trouble moving the ball against the UTEP D.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
BYU will curbstomp LA Tech. They beat down Troy and Troy is better than LA Tech. BYU 66 La Tech3
That's why I said BYU is top 10 good, but Holtz has his team ready for these games. A good week of practice (and keeping Covid away) over the details does wonders. I don't expect a beat down but who knows?

BYU in a romp, La Tech is CUSA physical but BYU is BCS physical. La Tech might have slight speed advantage but BYU will control the line on both sides of the ball and plow the field with La Tech.

I know BYU is back and really good this year, but some of these predictions are far fetched. Not gonna get too much into the score game, but they put 66 on HBU when TT could only muster 35. They had some missing players against rival S. Miss, but a win is a win. La Tech is leaps and bounds better than us and recruits and gets much better players. With that said we usually play them tough and I hope we stay close with a chance maybe. I'm going to enjoy another week of being 3-1 and check this game out and expect a BYU win of about 41-28.

Reactions: JCorona
Reminds me of Billy G.’s schedule with basketball, just beat up lesser teams out of conference and slowly ramp it up. No need to get blown out and do your team in so early in the season.
Billy G.'s team beat the Globetrotters that had beaten everybody else including Syracuse before the regular season even began, so everybody had a sense that something special was brewing.

Although UTEP played several cupcakes (whom they were regularly beating by 30 or 40 points that season), they did have a competitive road loss against Bobby Knight's Texas Tech, and of course the Miners swept NMSU. They destroyed a Rutgers team that made the NIT finals.

Reactions: Rocketsr
We still don’t know if Lindsey is capable of rebuilding Troy to their old ways. LT and Holtz is the consistent 9 win team that has won 6 bowl games in a row until proven otherwise

I know BYU is back and really good this year, but some of these predictions are far fetched. Not gonna get too much into the score game, but they put 66 on HBU when TT could only muster 35. They had some missing players against rival S. Miss, but a win is a win. La Tech is leaps and bounds better than us and recruits and gets much better players. With that said we usually play them tough and I hope we stay close with a chance maybe. I'm going to enjoy another week of being 3-1 and check this game out and expect a BYU win of about 41-28.
La Tech doesn't get better recruits, Holtz is a good coach, period. Jordan Palmer struggled under Nord, Price made him better.

It's fair to say this is Dimel's litmus test if improvement is real or smoke & mirrors.

This really is the blueprint for Miner football going forward. Two tough OOC games doom these teams year in and year out. F*ck the money, it’s not worth getting pounded 2 out of 4 games a year going into conference. Next year it’s UNM, @NMSU, Bethune-Cookman and @Boise St. With everyone returning next year there is a strong possibility we start the season 3-1 again. That’s how it needs to be done. Reminds me of Billy G.’s schedule with basketball, just beat up lesser teams out of conference and slowly ramp it up. No need to get blown out and do your team in so early in the season.

Senter wants UTEP to schedule 1 Power 5 team to play on the road, 1 Group of 5 team we can beat or it's a toss up (Nevada, ULM, UNM, etc..) this game would be a home and home scheduled, Keep rivalry game with NMSU, 1 game against a FCS opponent coming to the Sun Bowl.

Senter is pretty much set on this type of scheduling for UTEP football. I think it will be good for UTEP due to playing another G5 team to show we can play/beat a decent team in another G5 conference, and P5 won't be a blow out like this season but at best competitive. I know Senter wants UTEP to be 3-1 before conference play if possible. This season being an example taking away UTEP played two FCS opponent instead of NMSU and one FCS team.

La Tech doesn't get better recruits, Holtz is a good coach, period. Jordan Palmer struggled under Nord, Price made him better.

It's fair to say this is Dimel's litmus test if improvement is real or smoke & mirrors.
They don't get better recruits??? What publications have you seen that says we recruit the same quality of players as La Tech? La Tech hasn't had a recruiting class lower than 82 and is mostly in the high 70s over the past 5 years, where as we have been bottom 5 30+ spots lower! I agree about better coaching being at play too, but they absolutely do get better talent than Utep. Now if Dimel and staff can coach these guys and build em up, then that's another thing, but La Tech and Utep at least up til now are not on equal levels of recruiting.

They don't get better recruits??? What publications have you seen that says we recruit the same quality of players as La Tech? La Tech hasn't had a recruiting class lower than 82 and is mostly in the high 70s over the past 5 years, where as we have been bottom 5 30+ spots lower! I agree about better coaching being at play too, but they absolutely do get better talent than Utep. Now if Dimel and staff can coach these guys and build em up, then that's another thing, but La Tech and Utep at least up til now are not on equal levels of recruiting.

La Tech has a great recruiting area. Louisiana is loaded and they're on the Texas border. They're much closer to the Texas recruiting hotbeds than we are. I always laugh when people complaime about us not recruiting Texas.For all intensive purposes we're an out of state school when we recruit the Texas metros.

La Tech has a great recruiting area. Louisiana is loaded and they're on the Texas border. They're much closer to the Texas recruiting hotbeds than we are. I always laugh when people complaime about us not recruiting Texas.For all intensive purposes we're an out of state school when we recruit the Texas metros.
However you slice it, they get better recruits for now. Hope one day that changes, but for no and recent memory that is just what it is. We definitely have to play up to beat them.

All true about LA Tech being centered in a rich recruiting area, but the downside to that is the competition who also recruits that area. La Tech get their share but they seldom win those battles against the likes of SEC and Big 12. I think another downside is teams in rich recruiting grounds tend not to develop ties outside those areas. UTEP could have an advantage in this respect and we have in the past had really good talent from California (another rich recruiting area) and an emerging area in Arizona and Nevada. There is a lot of talent in Houston and DFW but a lot of eyes on that talent. California, Nevada and Arizona, in particular the JC ranks could give UTEP a small seat at the table.

Ok, fine

"How Skip Holtz and his coaching staff have attacked and been effective with the transfer portal this offseason has been unprecedented, even by their recruiting standards.

Since the 2019 squad shut out Miami, 14-0, in the Independence Bowl in Shreveport to conclude the season five months ago, Louisiana Tech has added five transfers, four of those from FBS programs. The other transfer was an FCS quarterback Luke Anthony from Abilene Christian that signed on Signing Day back in February."

Holtz has been successful at this since he landed in Ruston.

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/s...tball-recruiting-rankings-numbers/3110287001/

La Tech played BYU better than Troy by a lot in the stats and by some on the scoreboard. BYU is very good and it looks like La Tech is likely better than Troy.

Reactions: JCorona

Not so far fetched anymore, eh?

Not so far fetched anymore, eh?
Yes it was far fetched what are you talking about? I referred to the 66 points etc.. that BYU would score and win like 66-3. Did that happen??? I was closer on my prediction than those. Pay Attention Bro!

Yes it was far fetched what are you talking about? I referred to the 66 points etc.. that BYU would score and win like 66-3. Did that happen??? I was closer on my prediction than those. Pay Attention Bro!

I am paying attention, bruh. You said “some of those scores are far fetched....”, now you’re saying you were talking about just the one? Ha! Whatever.

I still expect Tech to cover the spread over us.

Has anyone been able to find the tv ratings for our game against ULM? I usually use Sports Media Watch but they don’t have that game listed. I’m very curious to see what kind of audience we drew compared to other teams in our conference.

I am paying attention, bruh. You said “some of those scores are far fetched....”, now you’re saying you were talking about just the one? Ha! Whatever.
I was talking about multiple ones that had it 56, 66 etc... So yes multiple ones I felt we're exaggerated a bit. BYU is definitely better than I thought, but not a top 10 team. It's too early to argue with you, I'm going to enjoy a Utep victory against the bye week, Good Day to you Sir!

I was talking about multiple ones that had it 56, 66 etc... So yes multiple ones I felt we're exaggerated a bit. BYU is definitely better than I thought, but not a top 10 team. It's too early to argue with you, I'm going to enjoy a Utep victory against the bye week, Good Day to you Sir!

Well, I didn’t say 56 but I did say 54-21 in that prediction. I predicted a 33 point spread. It ended up 31. After watching La Tech last week, I knew BYU was going beat the shit out of them. Now I just hope we can take advantage of a team that’s been demoralized.

BYU is top 15, and with the limited teams playing, they may well be top 10.

Anyway...good day to you!

Reactions: Lil_Train
We won’t get to know how good BYU really is. They have a schedule full of g5 teams. Over the last few years they’ve been very inconsistent. One week they’ll beat a top 10 team and later in the season lose at home to a six loss MAC team. I’m not convinced they’re anything better than the G5 teams they’ll play.

It wasn't far fetched at all. It was 45-7 in the fourth quarter. BYU pulled their starting quarterback and played super conservative milking the game away. ByU let all the walkons play in the fourth quarter. If they just run their normal offense games easily ends 59-7. It was complete domination by BYU. Against Troy BYU played until the end. They called the dogs off early against La Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT