ADVERTISEMENT

Louisiana Tech

I don't get all the blame on coaches. Not much was successful but penalties killed our offense and don't see how coaches can effect that in a game. Only questionable coaching call was trying to block the punt, but it is understandable why it was called. Coaching kept us in the game IMO, penalties, off night by Hardison and failure to run the ball effectively did us in.

I legitimately couldn't even tell if there was any contact with the kicker. I'd have to see the replay again; maybe one of the other players touched him, but I couldn't even tell with the guy they called it on. He looked like he did everything he could to not touch the kicker, and certainly didn't rough him.

The refs were not going to give UTEP any benefit of the doubt tonight.

I’m with everybody else that said we shouldn’t have tried to block the punt, BUT, that doesn’t excuse that blatant asshat call that the refs got completely wrong. There was contact, but like you said, the defensive player did EVERYTHING he could to avoid hitting the kicker. It was such minimal contact. It was at best a 5 yard running into. It was a BLOWN call.

We did not help our situation with some truly bone headed penalties committed, however the refs let so many calls go against La Tech that they called on us. It’s like they were just looking for the BIG one that would help La Tech seal the deal. I don’t know how there wasn’t more outrage from the Miner sideline but even the commentators said they had trouble justifying a roughing the kicker penalty.

We didn’t lose because of this call, but nor was it a fair call. I’ve watched it over and over and there is no way to slice it any differently, it was a bullshit call. We got hosed!

Last edited:
I don't get all the blame on coaches. Not much was successful but penalties killed our offense and don't see how coaches can effect that in a game. Only questionable coaching call was trying to block the punt, but it is understandable why it was called. Coaching kept us in the game IMO, penalties, off night by Hardison and failure to run the ball effectively did us in.
The reason I blame the coaches,
1. Starting Fields and sticking wit him.
2. Not even trying to run outside,
3. Not getting TightEnds involved in any game this year.
4. Way to many deep passes and at poor times.
5. Not trying to block the last punt.
6. Penalties are usually a lack of discipline or preparation. ( Some where the fault of players, some on coaches, delay of game, illegal substitution, some were questionable from the refs.
7. Threw deep all night except the last two plays. (Have they ever practiced the pitch back play. No one was in position for that play to work.)

Couple of La Tech posters on the cusa board said penalties were the only reason UTEP lost. To bad too because UTEP's defense was great tonight. I see this team winning a few more.

Reactions: minermx07
Two weeks ago they were killing ULM with the medium routes especially on 3rd down and this week Hardison wanted the long ball every other play.

Overall I’m excited because the Miners shot themselves in the foot all game and yet they only lost by 4 on the road. If the players understand what they did wrong and strive to play mistake free football week in and week out there’s no reason they shouldn’t win.

6. Penalties are usually a lack of discipline or preparation. ( Some where the fault of players, some on coaches, delay of game, illegal substitution, some were questionable from the refs.
7. Threw deep all night except the last two plays. (Have they ever practiced the pitch back play. No one was in position for that play to work.)

Every route tree has short, medium, and long passes. Hardison took a costly sack rather than throw the check down. They could have called for the deep shots or it could very well have been a QB's read. Would love to ask Dimel.

I think the TE position is definitely the number one priority in recruiting this offseason. The stars on this offense are young and could be complimented with a pass catching TE. Wonder if Q Workman could bulk up?

One of the ways to get outside when you dont have a RB that has that ability is to run the bubble screen. Seems like we ran it with some effectiveness at times and then went away from it. If you can get 6 yards out of that play on 1st down its as good as an outside run.

Not calling for the block punt was baffling. But the Theard injury makes me wonder if something was said on the sideline. I've been in those situations myself before as a Head Coach and usually your Punt Block team has your studs on it. And I could imagine Mike Cox telling the Special Teams Coordinator and Dimel, 'Dont get another one of my f'n guys hurt!!'

The last play of the game, not sure what you're talking about in terms of execution because it almost did work.

Bottom line, we've come a long way but are not there yet.

I agree with everything you said. Amen!!!! Especially the repeated starting of Fields aspect and the failure to run any short passing routes using tight ends and running backs. What's with the Dimel/Fields love affair?
If we had any semblance of an offense, we wouldn't be having this chat. The play calling is so predictable and unimaginable.

Reactions: axingfools1
You can’t call off a common play because someone might get hurt. Someone might get hurt on every play. I don’t think that was the reason, maybe he was worried about another penalty. God knows we had a few in that game.

What's with the Dimel/Fields love affair?
Loyalty to seniors. He showed it last year with Kai.

I wonder how Gavin would have looked if they had played him earlier in the season. Maybe he shines and plays more games and gets a couple of wins. With this year free, we would still have two more years of him. Pretty much getting four good years out of him.

It’s a tough position to be in as a coach. They’re not playing Madden with ai. There are feelings and emotions involved by a lot of people. There has to be a better balance by Dimel. They should have given a few of the Fields carries to the other backs.

The only rebuttal I have to all your points is on the first. If you were on the sidelines, would you not have talked(coached up) your QB on taking some of the shorter routes.

Oh yeah, definitely. I am just saying that the eyes of the qb make the final decision.

Kind of reminds me of the Mike Price teams as they also committed a ton of penalties and did it throughout his tenure. Hopefully Dimel gets his foot up their asses and doesn't do the rah rah thing Price did.

Price's teams were horrible defensively but better offensively. Our secondary misses a ton of tackles, yet our defensive line is exceptional. Or is it that the 2 missing offensive linemen for La Tech made that much of a difference?

Hardison holds the ball too long and does not lead the receivers enough. He can get better with experience, as our receivers were open numerous times and yet he did not lead them.

Many bonehead plays on Special teams between the running into the kicker (Feral is right, not roughing), and the missed call where we pushed one of the La Tech players into our kick returner and they received a 15 yd penalty. That was a huge play because the ball hit our player and would have been their ball inside the 10 yd line. Therefore the roughing the kicker on us seemed to be a makeup call.

All in all a very frustrating experience watching the game because we should have won. I don't want a moral victory. I want wins and this is one that we should have had.

Reactions: kickballpro
I’m no conspiracy theorist, but you can’t tell me ESPN, and therefore the replay officials, didn’t have access to that very angle. Hosed again!!!

First ranked opponent BYU plays and they lose. I had my doubts about their potential all year. Put them in a power conference and no way they would have made it to 9-0.

Reactions: Rot
First ranked opponent BYU plays and they lose. I had my doubts about their potential all year. Put them in a power conference and no way they would have made it to 9-0.
This was the original schedule BYU was going to play: It was better than most Power 5 teams as it featured 9 bowl teams and 6 games against Power 5 teams. I have been tough on BYU for not playing Washington, but you have to give it to them for going on the road to undefeated Coastal Carolina with less than a weeks notice. I highly doubt anyone else would have taken that game. I also believe that Coastal tried to get Cincinnati to play but they turned them down.
  • 09/03 – at Utah.
  • 09/12 – Michigan State.
  • 09/19 – at Arizona State.
  • 09/26 – at Minnesota.
  • 10/02 – Utah State.
  • 10/10 – Missouri.
  • 10/16 – Houston.
  • 10/24 – at Northern Illinois.
  • 11/07-- At Boise St
  • 11/14 --San Diego State
  • 11/21--North Alabama
  • 11/28--at Stanford

I thought Coastal Carolina was a baseball school! I’m here for the obligatory - other teams have gone through their successful and unsuccessful cycles, and UTEP is still in the dumps. Hell, now directional state schools and new football programs are seeing success we’ve never achieved.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I thought Coastal Carolina was a baseball school! I’m here for the obligatory - other teams have gone through their successful and unsuccessful cycles, and UTEP is still in the dumps. Hell, now directional state schools and new football programs are seeing success we’ve never achieved.

I think there is a pretty simple answer.

Some of these schools have much more local talent than UTEP to draw from. El Paso just isn't a hotbed of football talent.

UTEP needs to attract more talent from across the country to remote El Paso.

Reactions: Taco1977
Some of these schools have much more local talent than UTEP to draw from. El Paso just isn't a hotbed of football talent.

UTEP needs to attract more talent from across the country to remote El Paso.

You tap also needs to invest in their facilities. I haven't seen football facilities at a division one school this poor ever! Spending money renovating a stadium is nice and all, but players that they're trying to attract care more about the amenities that benefit them.

You tap also needs to invest in their facilities. I haven't seen football facilities at a division one school this poor ever! Spending money renovating a stadium is nice and all, but players that they're trying to attract care more about the amenities that benefit them.
I thought the Larry K. Durham Center is well-regarded?

I seem to remember some ex-players complaining about nutrition. If this is one of UTEP's perceived shortcomings, what does UTEP need to do to bridge the gap on that front?

I thought the Larry K. Durham Center is well-regarded?

I seem to remember some ex-players complaining about nutrition. If this is one of UTEP's perceived shortcomings, what does UTEP need to do to bridge the gap on that front?

That building is really nice. The meeting rooms are not very good. The training table is an absolute joke. The dorm rooms look like they haven't been renovated since the '60s. I wish I knew how to add pictures to my post. I would show you what the players were served for Thanksgiving. It was an absolute joke!

Hey @UTEPAthletucs @JimSenter2 @UTEP @UTEPFB, Get an estimate from these companies:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT