LT @ UTEP

Who wins

• LT

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • UTEP

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sounds like Fresno St fans were right. I guess thats what we get for poaching a coach with a .500 record. Cant blame lack of recruiting connections out in California now. Dimmel and Terry-led teams similar.I can take losses from a young growing team but not when they are due to lack of basic fundamentals and coaching stubbornness. Tough to watch.

Last edited:
Over the last 2 games, Vila has played 61 of the 80 minutes. Yet he has only made 3 field goals in those 61 minutes.

I think a case can be made that we might be a better team at this point in the season, if Terry had kept Kaosi Ezeagu happy and had played him instead of Vila. By this point in the season, Ezeagu would likely be an upgrade over Vila on both the defensive end and rebounding. Vila is only avergaing 3.7 points per game this year, so even if he is a better offensive option than Ezeagu, it is not like it is enough to make a difference. So we would be playing a better player in at least 2 out of 3 areas, with the 3rd area essentially being a tie. Instead, Ezeagu will be playing in the Big 12 over the next 3 years and Vila will still be here being Vila.....and apparently playing around 30 minutes per game.

To close it out, either throw it in to Bryson, or let Boum dribble drive and hopefully get fouled.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Over the last 2 games, Vila has played 61 of the 80 minutes. Yet he has only made 3 field goals in those 61 minutes.

I think a case can be made that we might be a better team at this point in the season, if Terry had kept Kaosi Ezeagu happy and had played him instead of Vila. By this point in the season, Ezeagu would likely be an upgrade over Vila on both the defensive end and rebounding. Vila is only avergaing 3.7 points per game this year, so even if he is a better offensive option than Ezeagu, it is not like it is enough to make a difference. So we would be playing a better player in at least 2 out of 3 areas, with the 3rd area essentially being a tie. Instead, Ezeagu will be playing in the Big 12 over the next 3 years and Vila will still be here being Vila.....and apparently playing around 30 minutes per game.

Eze wasn’t the answer either.

Sounds like Fresno St fans were right. I guess thats what we get for poaching a coach with a .500 record. Cant blame lack of recruiting connections out in California now. Dimmel and Terry-led teams similar I can take losses but not when they are due to lack of basic fundamentals and coaching stubbornness. Tough to watch.
Little premature to see that. FSU was a mess when he took over and took them to the dance a top of MWC. You go off hard numbers and this team is vastly improved. Second, this is a fierce rivalry game. La Tech is a rival and with a fierce rivals records don't matter when tip off occurs. Third, La Tech suffered an embarrassing loss to UTSA and UTEP should've known they would be out for blood.

This was on the coaching staff. Utep had the ball with 50 secs and could have played 2 for 1 - but they didn’t. Despite starting and producing in the first half, Efe plays less than one minute. Vila continues to be a liability both on offense and on defense - yet he closes out games and results are not good. Also, Terry gets a T in the second half while saying his guys have to be disciplined.

Little premature to see that. FSU was a mess when he took over and took them to the dance a top of MWC. You go off hard numbers and this team is vastly improved. Second, this is a fierce rivalry game. La Tech is a rival and with a fierce rivals records don't matter when tip off occurs. Third, La Tech suffered an embarrassing loss to UTSA and UTEP should've known they would be out for blood.

Nah — we blew it tonight.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

Can’t see the forest for the trees, man.

Reactions: NY/NJminer

I wish you were right but there are too many red flags

giphy.gif

We look ahead to next year because that’s all Miner fans have.

For this MBB team, it’s all about whether Williams comes back or not.

If a third to half of the playing rotation leaves, it will be too much of a rebuild to come back for. I can’t remember his handle, but a couple weeks ago somebody suggested Williams would bolt as a grad transfer. I now believe that’s more likely than him staying around. There were some really good teams who wanted his services. We can’t buy a damn break.

Well Terry took absolutely ZERO responsibility for this loss in his post game interview.

No mention of why we didnt attack a smaller team at the rim every single possession. No mention of why we keep shooting so many 3s when our percentage is low. No mention of why we got a momentum changing technical foul from our bench in the second half. No mention of why we got outscored 10-0 in the last 3 minutes (even when the other team's leading scorer was out). No explanation of why Vila was back in the game with 1:30 left.

The only thing I got from his interview was that we are 'still young' and that we really didnt have a play set up on the last 2 possessions.

If a third to half of the playing rotation leaves, it will be too much of a rebuild to come back for. I can’t remember his handle, but a couple weeks ago somebody suggested Williams would bolt as a grad transfer. I now believe that’s more likely than him staying around. There were some really good teams who wanted his services. We can’t buy a damn break.
I’m just going to stop making predictions.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Well Terry took absolutely ZERO responsibility for this loss in his post game interview.

No mention of why we didnt attack a smaller team at the rim every single possession. No mention of why we keep shooting so many 3s when our percentage is low. No mention of why we got a momentum changing technical foul from our bench in the second half. No mention of why we got outscored 10-0 in the last 3 minutes (even when the other team's leading scorer was out). No explanation of why Vila was back in the game with 1:30 left.

The only thing I got from his interview was that we are 'still young' and that we really didnt have a play set up on the last 2 possessions.

Well jeez, who’s responsibility is that coach?

And at this point it’s no surprise Terry and staff took zero responsibility for the loss.

I abhor this amateurish make believe - so called basketball team. We continue to suffer through continuous disappointments, unexplained; unanswered questions losses that should have been wins, etc.
Where was Efe?
Why Vila?
Where was Stroud?
Where were the set plays coming out of timeouts? We pass it around and look for
BW and throw up a wild three.
Since we can't throw it in the ocean game after game why isn't the plan to dribble drive and feed in inside for at worst drawing fouls?
Why continue throwing up hopeless threes?
How you be so out to lunch and out of control that in the midst of your best run of the night, you allow yourself to get "T'd" up, thus halting your momentum and letting the opponent get back in the game?
Not sure if we have the talent or not, but we damn sure don't have the coaching. The evidence is overwhelming.
I can't believe I was stupid enough to be concerned about a planned family vacation during spring break ruining my post season tournament celebration.
Good night!

Even if Williams comes back, and I think that is a big if, I don't see us being much better with the current roster. I don't see a single guy who could potentially develop into an all conference type player. Do you all see any legitimate potential difference makers on this team?

Terry needs to stop being stubborn and adjust to this teams strengths. We play good defense, we have big athletic guards that can drive and we shoot well from the line. We also have the best PF in the league.

I think the answer on offense is to go smaller and run and attack. Pick up the pace. Sit Vila and Efe. Let the centerpiece be Williams and surround him with Tarke, Archie, Lathon, Hawkins, Boum, Edwards and Stroud and overwhelm other teams with pressure offense. Play who is hot from game to game. Bring Tydus off the bench for big defense when needed.

Let Efe go if he wants, but dont lose Stroud. Give Williams a reason to stay. Give the players a reason to get excited about scoring. Most importantly, give them a chance to win games.

I’m just going to stop making predictions.

Not even 6k in attendance. Another couple of predictions like that and you’ll be in CattyCry territory.

Not even getting 6k on a Saturday night, doesn’t bode well for the rest of the season. Wednesday’s game vs UTSA will be complete ghost town.

Not even 6k in attendance. Another couple of predictions like that and you’ll be in CattyCry territory.

Not even getting 6k on a Saturday night, doesn’t bode well for the rest of the season. Wednesday’s game vs UTSA will be complete ghost town.

Which is it?

Too many suckers keep going to games?

Or...

Our attendance sucks?

Even if Williams comes back, and I think that is a big if, I don't see us being much better with the current roster. I don't see a single guy who could potentially develop into an all conference type player. Do you all see any legitimate potential difference makers on this team?

Unfortunately, I don’t. I see guys who could develop into solid 2nd or 3rd options, but no, I can’t identify any potential difference makers.

Terry needs to stop being stubborn and adjust to this teams strengths. We play good defense, we have big athletic guards that can drive and we shoot well from the line. We also have the best PF in the league.

I think the answer on offense is to go smaller and run and attack. Pick up the pace. Sit Vila and Efe. Let the centerpiece be Williams and surround him with Tarke, Archie, Lathon, Hawkins, Boum, Edwards and Stroud and overwhelm other teams with pressure offense. Play who is hot from game to game. Bring Tydus off the bench for big defense when needed.

Let Efe go if he wants, but dont lose Stroud. Give Williams a reason to stay. Give the players a reason to get excited about scoring. Most importantly, give them a chance to win games.

Unfortunately, I don’t. I see guys who could develop into solid 2nd or 3rd options, but no, I can’t identify any potential difference makers.
In my opinion, there's going to need to be some additions in order to make a run next year, starting with much better guard play. I guess we can hope Kennedy is a Lee Moore clone, for starters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT