ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Laufenberg number = tradition

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
The number 2 of Luke Laufenberg, instead of being retired, will be passed down through hopefully generations of Miners who embody the fighting and competitive spirit that Luke embodied. This is REAL UTEP tradition. Wearing the number this year will be Quadraiz Wadley.

I read a really great article weeks or months ago about american college football players who just got back from WWII how it was some best explosion of talent in american college football and yet some of the most unheralded and Wendt was one of them. They actually blew the game into the second half of the century that we know today.

They tried this with #22 for basketball. It lasted one season.

There was no scholarship for Jeep. The Laufenberg scholarship campaign has been wildly successful. Its has close to 5000 donors. It ain't going away. Luke's legacy will live on forever through the scholarship. It will probably end up fully funding multiple scholarships.

#22 (Fred Wendt) should be retired. Best UTEP rb in the history of the program.

Should he not be in the college football HOF? I’ve never understood how he held a major record like single season yards and he was not voted in.

Not to hijack the thread, but didn’t they also try this with the #14 a couple years back when Braxton Amy was playing for us? I remember going to games and seeing a bunch of people/students wearing a #14 jersey. He was a great player for us who unfortunately had a couple injuries and I believe he ended up playing 5 or 6 years with medical redshirts. Never ever heard anything media wise from UTEP regarding the number.

Not to hijack the thread, but didn’t they also try this with the #14 a couple years back when Braxton Amy was playing for us? I remember going to games and seeing a bunch of people/students wearing a #14 jersey. He was a great player for us who unfortunately had a couple injuries and I believe he ended up playing 5 or 6 years with medical redshirts. Never ever heard anything media wise from UTEP regarding the number.
I think they did the same thing when Jeremy Jones broke his leg his senior year back in the day

They wore 14 for centennial year and it just stuck around.

I like they’re doing this especially as a way to keep Luke’s memory alive. I hope this is a tradition that UTEP will keep and that the AD let’s the next coach know this needs to be upheld once Dimel is gone.
I see why not putting a bronze statue, nothing big, just a memorial outside the entry of the LKD leading to the SB concourse area where players head to the tunnel where fans and players can see and pay their respect.

I see why not putting a bronze statue, nothing big, just a memorial outside the entry of the LKD leading to the SB concourse area where players head to the tunnel where fans and players can see and pay their respect.
Like a “Play Like a Champion Today” type sign.

Reactions: Cato69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT