ADVERTISEMENT

Lunardi’s latest bracket

Gonzaga is a 13.5 point favorite in that game. That is a very big number. The number that looks interesting is Loyola a 7 point favorite over Oregon State. Also the over/under is very low at 125.
I was right that the Oregon State game looked off as they were getting too many points. Plus the game went under. That I would have lost, had I bet that. Money line was a whopping +260. Pac 12 is really shining.

Last edited:
Very good win by Houston. They are undersized but their bigs are really aggressive and they really play fast with strong D. Grimes is an X-factor on offense. Their style is a good blueprint for the Miners.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Very good win by Houston. They are undersized but their bigs are really aggressive and they really play fast with strong D. Grimes is an X-factor on offense. Their style is a good blueprint for the Miners.
Agree with all you said. That style of defense would especially be a helluva blueprint to follow. That style of defense has to be coached into a team, tho. Maybe when CRT leaves...

Sampson is the real deal. I’ve watched Houston since he got there. By the end of year 3 it was apparent UH was trending up. We are not even close and CRT can’t get us there...which I know I’m preaching to the choir when I say that.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
Good points. I’ll add a couple thoughts. UH got the offensive rebound on 43.5% of their missed shot against Rutgers. Syracuse plays that 2-3 zone, which I think will enable Houston to exploit them for another really good offensive rebounding night.

Also, as you mentioned, a good 3 point shooting team will give Syracuse trouble. UH shoots it at 36% as a team. Two of their 3 sharp shooters had very off nights. It is rare that they have two off nights in a row. If Jarreau is at least 90% good to go with his hip injury, I like UH to move on. If they play like they played against Rutgers, it might be a long night.
You were spot on in your analysis. The combination of hitting the 3's, pounding the ball inside with impunity, and a strong defense are hard for anyone to overcome. You were right about all the offensive rebounds.

I figured Houston would win, because Syracuse could not shoot lights out every single game, and Houston is very well coached the way they pounded it in. Nice game plan.

You were spot on in your analysis. The combination of hitting the 3's, pounding the ball inside with impunity, and a strong defense are hard for anyone to overcome. You were right about all the offensive rebounds.

I figured Houston would win, because Syracuse could not shoot lights out every single game, and Houston is very well coached the way they pounded it in. Nice game plan.
Yeah, they still didn’t have a good shooting night, maybe 25-26% from 3 on the night and under 40% overall, and they only grabbed 1/3 of their missed shots, as opposed to the 43% from last game, but they did play some in-your-face-defense and were able to penetrate the 2-3 zone with relative ease for some easy buckets. I was pleased with the outcome. Still waiting for them to put a complete game together this tourney, though.

How do you see the UH-Oregon State match up taking shape?

Yeah, they still didn’t have a good shooting night, maybe 25-26% from 3 on the night and under 40% overall, and they only grabbed 1/3 of their missed shots, as opposed to the 43% from last game, but they did play some in-your-face-defense and were able to penetrate the 2-3 zone with relative ease for some easy buckets. I was pleased with the outcome. Still waiting for them to put a complete game together this tourney, though.

How do you see the UH-Oregon State match up taking shape?
I see Houston winning that one. The reason I say that is that Houston has proven they can win a low scoring game. Oregon State will keep the game slow. I just don't see Houston losing with the way they play defense and move the ball. The other reason is exactly what you are saying, this team has not played a complete game yet.
And I don't see Oregon State scoring enough points to win.

To beat Gonzaga, you have to hold them to under 65. The more I see Houston, they have the defense and offense. I am not sure Baylor will beat Houston now that I have really seen Houston play. I always thought Baylor vs Gonzaga was the best matchup and best final. I may have to reconsider. It may be Houston vs Gonzaga. Now Gonzaga is a more polished Houston offensively, but surely not defensively.

Last edited:
I didn't think Houston would get by Syracuse, but congrats to them. Sampson had them well prepared for the zone which is notoriously tough for out of conference teams.

Love UH's and Baylor's style of toughness and athleticism. Both teams are deep at the guard position and have aggressive bigs at the rim on offense and defense. The style may lead to offensive limitations at times, but its always something the teams can fall back to during close games.

I would still pick Baylor over Houston.

I like the style for UTEP and I think a lot of our players already fit the mold. Too bad Terry doesn't see it.

Baylor is athletic as hell but Houston runs the court well. I lean my hand to teams that can run the court really well, like Gonzaga. You can pick up some street kids who have never played organized basketball who can "run" really well and beat a top ten D1 school. Awareness, (crisp) passing, playing (running) in your proper lanes is essential. And too add a cherry on top is if your "big man" can run the court well. I had a high school coach who taught how to run a fast break from one end to the other without one dribble....not one.

Reactions: Rocketsr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT