ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness 20-21

Since winning in 2000 with Mich St, the big 10 has been in the championship game 7 times since, losing all of them. Im not saying they deserve so many bids, but still that's 7 times.

I’ve watched both Oregon State games this tourney. I am really impressed with Roman Silva’s game. Not saying he would have made us any better, but he has been a force to be reckoned with. He’s not a stat padder. Defensively he clogs the lane. He rebounds well. Constantly alters or blocks shots. On the other end he has good foot work for a big. He has a soft touch. I think he shot 70% on the season. He is a damn good passer. If he can’t rebound he tips a lot of balls out towards the three point lane creating 2nd and 3rd chance points.

He lumbers and by appearances, looks very unimpressive. He is shooting 77% for the tournament. Tonight he scored 7 points, had 12 boards (4 offensive), 4 blocks, a couple assists and created havoc for Oklahoma State inside the lane on both ends of the court. Against Tennessee he had 16 points, 4 boards, 3 blocks and made life difficult for the opposing interior players. He’s been a big part of Oregon State’s recent momentum and run and has been fun to watch.

Probably would have nice warm spot right next to Odigie on Rodney Terry's bench. Think he average 6 points and a couple rebounds a game.

Like you, I don't think he would have changed our season drastically, just don't have faith he would have been used effectively here.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Silva was long gone before Terry was even hired. I guess we can blame Terry for his lack of playing time.

Silva was long gone before Terry was even hired. I guess we can blame Terry for his lack of playing time.
He would have played the majority of his ball under Terry, though. I think HFK’s point was, as was mine, his talent probably would’ve been wasted here.

Nonetheless, I would've liked to have seen him in a Miner uniform.

He would have played the majority of his ball under Terry, though. I think HFK’s point was, as was mine, his talent probably would’ve been wasted here.

Nonetheless, I would've liked to have seen him in a Miner uniform.
He didnt stick around long enough to see if that's true. I think he would have been used. Specially in year 1 when we used w/o cuz we really didn't have any other big guys.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Since winning in 2000 with Mich St, the big 10 has been in the championship game 7 times since, losing all of them. Im not saying they deserve so many bids, but still that's 7 times.
True, but if you're constantly hyped as a top 2 conference, you should win more than a title every couple of decades.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I haven't. For a kid with only 1 d1 offer to playing in a sweet 16 is impressive.
Yes, I remember seeing his high school "highlight" video when Floyd recruited him. That was about as bad a video I have seen on any prospect. I'll need to check him out now, years later. Like they say you can't teach 7' 1". Good for him, and for his coach for allowing/waiting on him to develop.

Reactions: JCorona
Yes, I remember seeing his high school "highlight" video when Floyd recruited him. That was about as bad a video I have seen on any prospect. I'll need to check him out now, years later. Like they say you can't teach 7' 1". Good for him, and for his coach for allowing/waiting on him to develop.
CTF recruited tons of NBA players. He could just never get them to come or stay at UTEP.

He did go the JUCO route for a couple years. Oregon State’s coach, who also played the traditional post position, slowly has helped develop him.

Reactions: Lil_Train
If you get so many bids and high seedings, at least one team is going to trickle in. It is not fair to get 9 bids and on top of that over seed them. Already 7 of them cannot make it out of the second round. That is absolutely pathetic.

I thought initially the Pac 12 was getting too many teams in and the MWC deserved more. They were spot on with both of those conferences. The committee needs to look at the utter failure of the Big 10 and stop putting so many in.

True, but if you're constantly hyped as a top 2 conference, you should win more than a title every couple of decades.
I agree. Off the top of my head I would say the top 2 conferences last 20 years are ACC and SEC. The big 12 has been carried by Kansas up until the past few seasons. Big 10 has lost 7 title games. Not good for 20 years of numerous picks. Pac 12, Gonzaga and Butler round out the rest.

I agree. Off the top of my head I would say the top 2 conferences last 20 years are ACC and SEC. The big 12 has been carried by Kansas up until the past few seasons. Big 10 has lost 7 title games. Not good for 20 years of numerous picks. Pac 12, Gonzaga and Butler round out the rest.
I was sweating Gonzaga today as I have bet them against the spread and gave up 15 1/2. They were 33 point favorites in their first game and covered that easily. If you want consistency, you look at Gonzaga since 2015, with 2 Elite 8's (2015, 2019), One National Championship game (2017) and 2 Sweet 16's (2016, 2018, and this year 2021).

They make up for their conference by playing everyone and anyone outside of it. Never ducking anyone. That is why they are always ready come tournament time.

Reactions: axingfools1
Hunter Dickinson with some really good passing out of double teams. Helps when guys slash too.

La Tech won the third place game in the NIT today. Good showing for CUSA. Lofton had another big game for them, including the game winner. He's going to be a problem if he stays with La Tech for three more years. Like 2step alluded to, it would be nice if Terry could bring in that type of talent with all his Texas "connections".

Just think about the fact that if Oregon and USC weren't force to play each other in the Sweet 16, we could have possibly had 4 of the 8 teams in the Elite 8 representing the Pac 12. And the fact that they only had 5 total teams unlike the Big 10 which had 9 is mind boggling.

Gonzaga is going to really have to earn their title as USC, Michigan and then possibly Baylor are on the horizon. I don't know if there is a year where the potential national champion would have beaten the ACC, Big 12, Pac 12 and Big 10 champion in the same season. The argument that the best team does not win the national title cannot be put on Gonzaga if they win it.

Just think about the fact that if Oregon and USC weren't force to play each other in the Sweet 16, we could have possibly had 4 of the 8 teams in the Elite 8 representing the Pac 12. And the fact that they only had 5 total teams unlike the Big 10 which had 9 is mind boggling.

Gonzaga is going to really have to earn their title as USC, Michigan and then possibly Baylor are on the horizon. I don't know if there is a year where the potential national champion would have beaten the ACC, Big 12, Pac 12 and Big 10 champion in the same season. The argument that the best team does not win the national title cannot be put on Gonzaga if they win it.
Man if Gonzaga wins the next 3 games they will have to be considered as one of the top college teams ever. Regardless of conference.

Just think about the fact that if Oregon and USC weren't force to play each other in the Sweet 16, we could have possibly had 4 of the 8 teams in the Elite 8 representing the Pac 12. And the fact that they only had 5 total teams unlike the Big 10 which had 9 is mind boggling.....

Bill Walton in his cosmological omnipotence of all things basketball blasted the selection committee for the matchup, "They weren't doing their jobs..." in a writeup a couple days ago.

Man if Gonzaga wins the next 3 games they will have to be considered as one of the top college teams ever. Regardless of conference.

They are a major program that plays in a lesser conference. They will play in anybody and have proved they belong with the big boys. They are an elite program. Anyone who doesn’t consider them elite, needs to have their head examined.

Bill Walton in his cosmological omnipotence of all things basketball blasted the selection committee for the matchup, "They weren't doing their jobs..." in a writeup a couple days ago.
It is impossible not to have a couple of them play in the Sweet 16. Gonzaga is in that Region as well. If you have 5 teams from a conference represented, then obviously there will be a matchup in the Sweet 16, you cannot get around it. You have to have 2 teams in the same region. Secondly, they were all seeded pretty high except for UCLA, and Oregon State wouldn't have made it had they not won the tourney. I think they were all seeded right when looking at their body of work. The way the Big 10 was seeded and the amount of teams was a disgrace. If anything, there is your bash on the committee.

As for Walton, he is a shill of the Pac 12. Even when the conference looks like crap, he is saying it is the greatest of all time. Now, this year, he is right, but most of the time, he is just pumping up the conference.

I am just starting to believe that this might be the year for Gonzaga. They always look good during the regular season but always run into someone that can exploit that one weakness they might have. I don’t see much of a weakness with this group.

I thought USC might give them a run for their money, but not even close.

I am just starting to believe that this might be the year for Gonzaga. They always look good during the regular season but always run into someone that can exploit that one weakness they might have. I don’t see much of a weakness with this group.

Baylor will be the only school that can compete with them. Even then I would take Gonzaga

Baylor will be the only school that can compete with them. Even then I would take Gonzaga
I do think Michigan, should they get by UCLA, will give them a good game. They’re more well rounded than USC. Not as athletic across the board, but a better team. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that the Bruins ixnay that matchup, though.

Reactions: Rocketsr

We have the West Coast on one side of the bracket and Texas on the other. After watching that Michigan-UCLA game last night I think that Gonzaga smokes the Bruins similar to what they did to the Trojans. I agree that Baylor probably has the best shot to beat them, but I agree with you Fanatico: this looks like Gonzaga's year. I hope so. It's about time that a mid-major wins this thing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT