ADVERTISEMENT

Mario Mckinney 115k followers

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Why nobody talking about this?

Remember when you guys made fun of me when I suggested UTEP should go after a social media celebrity?? Not only did Utep listen to me, they actually got someone who actually can play. I mean this guy has more followers than some NBA players. He has more followers than the #1 recruit for the 2023 class, I forgot his name..

We shall see if attendance or viewership helps with him on the roster?? He even has the Lebrons kids following him. If he plays good and helps Utep win, then his popularity should even grow more.

But this is what I was talking about, I hope UTEP is smart enough to promote Mario. UTEP will probably never get another player like this.

I actually think is better that everyone transferred, just built the team around Mario and Sibley.

Reactions: groundrounds
He has 115k Instagram followers and at this moment, 6,493 of them had “liked” his UTEP post in 5 days. So maybe 17.7% of his followers liked his post. Of course there is no way for anyone to see how many people who aren’t followers liked his post.

I picked a follower at random, is this person going to start watching UTEP basketball?

Unless a real celebrity or their son is playing here, it won’t make a difference. Keep on truckin’ though.

Reactions: MinerFan79
He has 115k Instagram followers and at this moment, 6,493 of them had “liked” his UTEP post in 5 days. So maybe 17.7% of his followers liked his post. Of course there is no way for anyone to see how many people who aren’t followers liked his post.

I picked a follower at random, is this person going to start watching UTEP basketball?

Unless a real celebrity or their son is playing here, it won’t make a difference. Keep on truckin’ though.
It might not help in attendance, but it could help in other ways. If you look at his first video it was posted Jan 2021 and it has about 90k views and only about 12k likes . UTEP doesn't have anything like that close enough with views on YouTube. He could have a bunch of BOTS and fake profiles following but he is getting a lot views.

I believe his fans will keep and eye out for him and checking out UTEP games. It's to bad UTEP cant sell jerseys using his name??

It might not help in attendance, but it could help in other ways. If you look at his first video it was posted Jan 2021 and it has about 90k views and only about 12k likes . UTEP doesn't have anything like that close enough with views on YouTube. He could have a bunch of BOTS and fake profiles following but he is getting a lot views.

I believe his fans will keep and eye out for him and checking out UTEP games. It's to bad UTEP cant sell jerseys using his name??
What is your point?

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Why nobody talking about this?

Remember when you guys made fun of me when I suggested UTEP should go after a social media celebrity?? Not only did Utep listen to me, they actually got someone who actually can play. I mean this guy has more followers than some NBA players. He has more followers than the #1 recruit for the 2023 class, I forgot his name..

We shall see if attendance or viewership helps with him on the roster?? He even has the Lebrons kids following him. If he plays good and helps Utep win, then his popularity should even grow more.

But this is what I was talking about, I hope UTEP is smart enough to promote Mario. UTEP will probably never get another player like this.

I actually think is better that everyone transferred, just built the team around Mario and Sibley.

Pretty sure his ability to play basketball is what enticed coaches rather than the number of his Instagram followers
I agree completely with Cube Jack. The number of Instagram followers is completely irrelevant to me, and I'm sure to the coaching staff as well. All I care about is that a player is talented, athletic, and coachable. If he can help us win, great. If he's popular on social media - who cares?

I agree completely with Cube Jack. The number of Instagram followers is completely irrelevant to me, and I'm sure to the coaching staff as well. All I care about is that a player is talented, athletic, and coachable. If he can help us win, great. If he's popular on social media - who cares?
I agree. At the end of the day fans judge coaches and ADs on wins/losses not social media interactions. There is no alternate universe where Kugler could have saved his job by offsetting a winless season with millions of followers on social media.

You guys are not getting it. Why is it so hard for you guys to understand?? This is not 90s or 60s anymore. Yes I understand that a players social media followers doesn't matter. But it also doesn't hurt. Anytime that Mario posts a picture or video of himself on IG or youtube. UTEP will be getting valuble advertisement. Why is this so hard for you guys to understand? I thought you guys were smart?

You guys are not getting it. Why is it so hard for you guys to understand?? This is not 90s or 60s anymore. Yes I understand that a players social media followers doesn't matter. But it also doesn't hurt. Anytime that Mario posts a picture or video of himself on IG or youtube. UTEP will be getting valuble advertisement. Why is this so hard for you guys to understand? I thought you guys were smart?
cheryl-cole-okay.gif

Reactions: mikesarabia
Make the correlation of social media followers to tickets sold.

So that more people attend games. None of McKinney's non-El Paso followers are going to attend games. Did you hear of any uptick in interest of NMSU when he was with them? I bet not.

He came into a team where players were already above him. NMSU wasnt really able to promote him. Here at Utep he has the chance to be the guy.

You didn't answer the first question. Companies spend a lot of money for advertising. I'm sure some of you run businesses, and I bet you would be thrilled if your business had 100k followers. This is why I say UTEP needs to be smart. Promote Hoodrio, he already has his own nickname.

He came into a team where players were already above him. NMSU wasnt really able to promote him. Here at Utep he has the chance to be the guy.

You didn't answer the first question. Companies spend a lot of money for advertising. I'm sure some of you run businesses, and I bet you would be thrilled if your business had 100k followers. This is why I say UTEP needs to be smart. Promote Hoodrio, he already has his own nickname.
Because I don't know the answer to it. I could give you a bullshit answer if you'd like.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

I'll chime in here. Since I have several bars, I understand advertising and social media presence. I would LOVE to have 100K followers on any of my sites. However, that doesn't translate into sales/customers. Just because you have folks that follow you and like your content by no means an increase in revenue. In my industry, name recognition is vital. But, unless they spend money, what's the point? For UTEP, IMHO, they need people/pages/etc that drive a huge following, but they need to market/promote on those as well to increase revenue.

dos pesos

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
I'll chime in here. Since I have several bars, I understand advertising and social media presence. I would LOVE to have 100K followers on any of my sites. However, that doesn't translate into sales/customers. Just because you have folks that follow you and like your content by no means an increase in revenue. In my industry, name recognition is vital. But, unless they spend money, what's the point? For UTEP, IMHO, they need people/pages/etc that drive a huge following, but they need to market/promote on those as well to increase revenue.

dos pesos

How many followers does your business have??

• Haha
Reactions: MinerFan79
How many followers does your business have??
See? This is EXACTLY what I was saying. Just attack, fili. (don't even go with the "I was just asking" line) It's too bad we all can't be intermural hall of famers like you. My old fat ass could probably take you in a game and I haven't played in 20 years. Just effing stop already.
I SAID, since you can't effing read, that I would LOVE to have 100k followers. You bro, need to learn to read.

Reactions: Cube Jack
See? This is EXACTLY what I was saying. Just attack, fili. (don't even go with the "I was just asking" line) It's too bad we all can't be intermural hall of famers like you. My old fat ass could probably take you in a game and I haven't played in 20 years. Just effing stop already.
I SAID, since you can't effing read, that I would LOVE to have 100k followers. You bro, need to learn to read.
i just asked how many followers your business have? How is that attacking you??

and no you wouldnt beat me in basketball.

Reactions: JCorona
i just asked how many followers your business have? How is that attacking you??

and no you wouldnt beat me in basketball.
I'll play your silly game even though I KNOW where it will go..

I had 7 or 8 thousands followers on IG which isn't too bad for a little local bar. Staff and myself would post regularly. Did that translate into more business? I will guess not since I am now closed. I could have had Kalid posting and unless he was there, it wouldn't help. Still, I would have still been on IG if I had to do it over again.

When I say attack, I am referring to your attempt to be snarky. And yes you were trying. You couldn't just discuss what I posted. noooo..... Anywho....

I'm pretty certain Fili genuinely wanted to know how many followers you had. He seems to care a lot about that kind of stuff.

7-8k is a good number. There's a brewery across the street from the stadium called Hopsquad, that's always full. They have less followers than that.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
The thing about marketing is you have to reach your target audience. If you're not then you're just pissing in the wind. Especially these days. Are alk his audience hard core miner fans? I would think not.

Reactions: denverutep
I believe social media is very important in name recognition. McKinney having a large following is good PR for HIM. Whatever he plans to do in life after college, it could potentially help him because his name is out there. Or he could possibly be pushing it so he gets paid to be an influencer as fili suggested previously.
IMHO, I feel UTEP must have the social media platforms covered, but at the same time going after players because they have a following moves our needle so very little. (if any)
I personally targeted 20-30ish year olds because that's what my clientele was mainly made up of. We got new followers daily, a buttload of likes, and comments on our posts. They still didn't come in enough. UTEP can have the best social media team in the country, but that doesn't mean we have more students, nor does it mean we have more fans.
You can't put all your eggs in one basket. That basket will eventually break.

I believe social media is very important in name recognition. McKinney having a large following is good PR for HIM. Whatever he plans to do in life after college, it could potentially help him because his name is out there. Or he could possibly be pushing it so he gets paid to be an influencer as fili suggested previously.
IMHO, I feel UTEP must have the social media platforms covered, but at the same time going after players because they have a following moves our needle so very little. (if any)
I personally targeted 20-30ish year olds because that's what my clientele was mainly made up of. We got new followers daily, a buttload of likes, and comments on our posts. They still didn't come in enough. UTEP can have the best social media team in the country, but that doesn't mean we have more students, nor does it mean we have more fans.
You can't put all your eggs in one basket. That basket will eventually break.

I wasnt being snarky I wanted to know how many followers you had. But you said you have like 7 to 8k followers and 100 likes. You probably get what let's say 5 to 10 customers from that. Your probably also getting likes from out of towners. Imagine if you had 100k followers?? Your saying your business wouldn't benefit from that?

Players like this go to like Duke and Kentucky. Mizzou and schools like that get players like this all the time. They could afford to let players like Mario go. I would compare this transfer to Derrick Caracter . Hopefully Mario could have the same impact. He couldn't shine at NMSU because there was already players above him. Here at Utep , he and Sibley could run the show.

I wasnt being snarky I wanted to know how many followers you had. But you said you have like 7 to 8k followers and 100 likes. You probably get what let's say 5 to 10 customers from that. Your probably also getting likes from out of towners. Imagine if you had 100k followers?? Your saying your business wouldn't benefit from that?

Players like this go to like Duke and Kentucky. Mizzou and schools like that get players like this all the time. They could afford to let players like Mario go. I would compare this transfer to Derrick Caracter . Hopefully Mario could have the same impact. He couldn't shine at NMSU because there was already players above him. Here at Utep , he and Sibley could run the show.
Now I am interested in the conversation.....

A bar/club is a very different animal from a university athletic department. If I had a superstar bartender that had 300k followers, would that translate into more sales? Perhaps. A LOT of those followers are located elsewhere and only follow for interesting content posted. If he/she is good looking, they will draw gawkers, not customers.
In the McKinney example, we all KNOW his 100k followers are not from just Cruces and El Paso. Did NMSU get more fans because of his IG page? Doubtful.
Therefore, how important is it really to have people with a buttload of followers on staff? I guess popular youtubers could do live feeds at our games. Meh

As I was saying, social media is VERY important in a marketing strategy, but in athletics, it's not the most important thing. In a bar I obviously have no clue cuz I closed. In fairness, any club that lasts 10 years has done well. What club from when were young is still around? Not a bar, a club.

Reactions: JCorona
Now I am interested in the conversation.....

A bar/club is a very different animal from a university athletic department. If I had a superstar bartender that had 300k followers, would that translate into more sales? Perhaps. A LOT of those followers are located elsewhere and only follow for interesting content posted. If he/she is good looking, they will draw gawkers, not customers.
In the McKinney example, we all KNOW his 100k followers are not from just Cruces and El Paso. Did NMSU get more fans because of his IG page? Doubtful.
Therefore, how important is it really to have people with a buttload of followers on staff? I guess popular youtubers could do live feeds at our games. Meh

As I was saying, social media is VERY important in a marketing strategy, but in athletics, it's not the most important thing. In a bar I obviously have no clue cuz I closed. In fairness, any club that lasts 10 years has done well. What club from when were young is still around? Not a bar, a club.

Social media is very important in Athletics. I'm sure schools and pro teams have a budget for it alone.
Duke Basketball has 2.2 million followers on Twitter. New Mexico lobos Basketball has 21k followers. UTEP Basketball has a very sad number of 8k followers. It will be interesting how much UTEP gained in followers ever since Mario has signed.

If UTEP wants to get into Mountain West and better conference, they need to win and be more popular.

Social media is very important in Athletics. I'm sure schools and pro teams have a budget for it alone.
Duke Basketball has 2.2 million followers on Twitter. New Mexico lobos Basketball has 21k followers. UTEP Basketball has a very sad number of 8k followers. It will be interesting how much UTEP gained in followers ever since Mario has signed.

If UTEP wants to get into Mountain West and better conference, they need to win and be more popular.
Negligible amount. Guarantee it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT