ADVERTISEMENT

Marquette...

I wouldn't say they are tougher than Arizona and they do not have a Chase Jeter from Arizona who created match up problems for Efe and Ezeagu and will be on a NBA roster for sure because Marquette's starting big man is also a true freshman but plays fearless and doesn't shy away from the basket. Eze should control that match up and that's the only thing going for UTEP at that spot, IMO.

Marquette has a fantastic back court and Markus Howard, who is averaging 20 a game, Gilyard/Hawk match up will determine if UTEP can stay competitive with Marquette or get blown out again like they did against Arizona who shut down Hawk and Gilyard from setting CRT's tempo. Gilyard and Hawkins love to slash and break to the hole and if Marquette shuts it down like Arizona did, it will get ugly late in the game. UTEP needs to improve their perimeter defensive game, improve tremendously at the free throw line and cut down TO's. If UTEP can do this, they really can make this a good season despite being mostly starting freshman.

A good buddy of mine works across the street from the DHC and got to speak to Gilyard last week and told my buddy that if some on the team get it out of their head they are not in high school anymore, we're going to be a damn good team or something to that nature.

But first, beat NMSU tonight.

Watching Marquette beating #12 KSU by 11 at the half. Big, loud crowd at Marquette today. If the Miners have a good showing Tuesday in Milwaukee, then C-USA arenas won't be too tough for them.

Wanna bet that UTEP will lose by 15 or more?
No, this team is too young to wager on. Just saying it will be a good sign of more growth by the Miners. A game within 10 or so would be a pretty salty showing in a tough environment.

Don't expect a win but if they cut down on TO's, they can keep it close (knock on wood). Hawk is trying too hard. He over commits and leaves his feat and throws a wild pass or gets an unnecessary foul. Ezeagu and EO will be critical to keep it respectable.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Just saw that Marquette is a 21 pt favorite. I guess I must have been dreaming; thinking that we've improved so much in the last three games that I expected the line to be around 11 or 12. Hope I'm right and the Vegas boys are wrong.

It'll be a good road test. The team will find out how much work they need, but also see how good they can be. If they can keep their heads in the game they will keep it respectable.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
If you are interested in streaming the game:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxsports.videogo
FOX Sports GO is your home for streaming live sports wherever you are.

With FOX Sports GO, you can watch live sports and shows from FOX Sports, FS1, FS2, your FOX Sports Regional Network, Big Ten Network, FOX Deportes, FOX College Sports, and FOX Soccer Plus.* No matter where you go, take FOX Sports with you on your iPad, iPhone or Apple TV.
FOX Sports GO is free to download. All you need to do to watch is sign in with your TV Provider credentials.

If it was next year, I'd say we keep it close and have a chance at the end. How er we're just too green. Lets just see improvement and effort for 40 min. My prediction
Marquette 76
Utep 61

Gonna be hard for us to crack 60 points, I agree with Natty, Marquette should roll, but still looking forward to this game.

Them 74
Us 57

Reactions: minermx07
It looks like the refs are only calling fouls on the Miners.

Looks like we might lose by 25 or more...but something positive.

We sucked early RT calls a timeout, and we go on a 6-0 spurt, I like that, coaching matters. Listening on the radio, but whatever quick adjustments were made shows how good RT can be with in game adjusments. That's still a big question mark for me with this new staff.

We can hang with these guys. Maybe not win but by minimizing turnovers and making the point blanks shots we’ve missed, we can hang.

The refs are out of control. Shoot, I'm getting frustrated when they call stuff on Marquette.

I like seeing UTEP play 21st century basketball now. You mean we dont have to pass around the perimeter until the clock runs out before we shoot?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The refs are out of control. Shoot, I'm getting frustrated when they call stuff on Marquette.

I like seeing UTEP play 21st century basketball now. You mean we dont have to pass around the perimeter until the clock runs out before we shoot?

Right? There is a different energy to these guys. They are starting to put some things together.

Reactions: topminer
Campbell reminds me of Tevin Caldwell. He is undersized by has played well in place of PT.....or should I say NO PT since can't stop fouling. CRT must be dreaming of the day he can get Williams in there.

Lathon is like a new man playing PG!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Campbell reminds me of Tevin Caldwell. He is undersized by has played well in place of PT.....or should I say NO PT since can't stop fouling. CRT must be dreaming of the day he can get Williams in there.

Lathon is like a new man playing PG!
Must be having his mom, family and friends in attendance that is inspiring Lathon. Gilyard has close to 40 friends and family in attendance. I hope he puts on a show in the second half for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT