ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe Dimel is the right person, for the job?

shyminer81

MI Hall of Famer
May 22, 2006
Vancouver Washington
At first I really liked the Dimel hire, then, hated it. As did many, last year showed improvement. This year they went to a bowl game, with a pretty easy schedule. The off season like most teams has led to transfer portal woe’s, but has led to some players returning. Dimel isn’t doing it pretty, or flashy, but maybe that is needed. Price came in and won, fast and mostly with Nord’s players. Dimel has actually had to rebuild the program…slowly, but the recruits are improving no doubt. Who knows what will happen next season, but the Dimel hire might not be so bad after it’s all said and done. He is probably one good QB away from being one of the best hires in a long time.

At first I really liked the Dimel hire, then, hated it. As did many, last year showed improvement. This year they went to a bowl game, with a pretty easy schedule. The off season like most teams has led to transfer portal woe’s, but has led to some players returning. Dimel isn’t doing it pretty, or flashy, but maybe that is needed. Price came in and won, fast and mostly with Nord’s players. Dimel has actually had to rebuild the program…slowly, but the recruits are improving no doubt. Who knows what will happen next season, but the Dimel hire might not be so bad after it’s all said and done. He is probably one good QB away from being one of the best hires in a long time.
I’m coming around. I’m NO longer absolutely certain Dimel is NOT the guy.

Dimel is the guy if you want a coach that will keep us in CUSA for years to come. He is not the guy that will get UTEP to a better conference. Best case scenario with Dimel is a 7-5 easy schedule season every 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
That you, Dana?

There have been a lot of reasons over the past year, which very easily could have resulted in this program falling apart or at least result in a lot of things starting to come undone. All of these negative events have been out of Dimel's control; We were basically humiliated in the conference realignment shuffle, Dimel now has to basically recruit to playing in a 1AA conference, he won 7 games but attendance continued to fall, there was an entire season when conference teams would literally not come here to play him, there's been the new one time transfer rules that no previous UTEP coach had to deal with, there's been new NIL rules that no previous UTEP head coach had to deal with, then when our best player decided to return home to play, things could have really started to fall apart.....yet at this moment, Dimel seems to have quickly gotten control of the situation and appears to be keeping things together. There have been a lot of flaws in regards to game organization, details, and some offensive issues related his control of the offense, but in regards to his overall program management, he has been solid and continues to be solid even when facing multiple challenges that no previous UTEP coach has had to face.

On top of all of this, we played our 2nd closest bowl game(7 point loss) since 1967 against a 9 win team.

There have been a lot of reasons over the past year, which very easily could have resulted in this program falling apart or at least result in a lot of things starting to come undone. All of these negative events have been out of Dimel's control; We were basically humiliated in the conference realignment shuffle, Dimel now has to basically recruit to playing in a 1AA conference, he won 7 games but attendance continued to fall, there was an entire season when conference teams would literally not come here to play him, there's been the new one time transfer rules that no previous UTEP coach had to deal with, there's been new NIL rules that no previous UTEP head coach had to deal with, then when our best player decided to return home to play, things could have really started to fall apart.....yet at this moment, Dimel seems to have quickly gotten control of the situation and appears to be keeping things together. There have been a lot of flaws in regards to game organization, details, and some offensive issues related his control of the offense, but in regards to his overall program management, he has been solid and continues to be solid even when facing multiple challenges that no previous UTEP coach has had to face.

On top of all of this, we played our 2nd closest bowl game(7 point loss) since 1967 against a 9 win team.
I generally agree, but most D1 coaches face the same challenges.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Dimel started out rough but I do believe he has done better every year. We all want the big jump but change takes time unless you have the money. Give Dimel the cash to pay for top notch coordinators or the ability to keep the good ones and we will see the improvement we have all wanted for so long. These players are men but they are young men, still learning the game and learning the D1 way. Coaching is critical.

Dimel started out rough but I do believe he has done better every year. We all want the big jump but change takes time unless you have the money. Give Dimel the cash to pay for top notch coordinators or the ability to keep the good ones and we will see the improvement we have all wanted for so long. These players are men but they are young men, still learning the game and learning the D1 way. Coaching is critical.
I'll admit the Bowl performance gave me some hope in Dimel.

Uh…no. Nord built that team.
Bailey was the head coach when that team was built. It is more than fair to say that Bailey built that team. I, for one, believe that team would have been just as successful that year had Bailey remained as head coach.

Now Nord did build the teams that Price won with.

Still better than Charlie Bailey
To be fair, Charlie coached the mid to late 90's WAC that was way more competitive than CUSA has been in the last 5 years. Most of Charlie's tenure at UTEP he had to go up against the likes of BYU, Utah, and Air Force. I don't think Dimel would have had much more success against those teams if he was coaching in that era.

That being said, Dimel is better than that sh!t show Kugler left us with.

Uh…no. Nord built that team.
No, the QB on that team was literally the QB that Bailey beat BYU with. Nord took over from Bailey and in his very first year won 8 games. Are you saying that entire team consisted entirely of first-year players that were recruited exclusively by Nord? Ridiculous. Think before you post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT