Williams
Sjolund
Clardy
Onyema
Hess
Bieniemy
Odigie
Dekoninck

I haven’t been paying attention. Thoughts?

Let’s talk MBB roster — currently showing 14:

Boum
Verhoeven
Agnew
Kennedy
Vila
White
Williams
Sjolund
Clardy
Onyema
Hess
Bieniemy
Odigie
Dekoninck

I haven’t been paying attention. Thoughts?

Maybe I’m finally to the point of being jaded, but I can’t foresee this team being any better than last year’s. Hope and optimism will probably win out with this team...eventually. Maybe once the season gets closer. Seems to get the best of me every year. But being as far off from opening tipoff as we are, I think it comes easy seeing things from a more objective point of view rather than a hopeful one, and there isn’t anything that stands out as the “thing” that can get us over the hump. The roster you jotted down seems chock full of mediocre guys who can occasionally have a pretty good game, but usually a decent one at best. Not to mention, I still have yet to be impressed by ANYTHING Terry has done as a game time coach. Hope I’m wrong.

After going back and reading my post, I’m definitely jaded.

I'll take a shot.

Some positives are:

We got rid of a bunch of athletes, none of which could shoot or run the point well.

We got 2 transfers from high profile P5 conferences.

We are returning a CUSA POY candidate.

We have the best free throw shooter in the conference.

We have a better rim defender and offensive rebounder starting at center.

Possible waivers due to COVID-19

Potential with our 2 freshman.

Some negatives are:

Possibly no waivers, no games, interrupted season/practice, illness and no PG.

Who will do the shooting?

Limited guard depth and guys out of position.

CRT gameplanning, in-game adjustments and player rotations.

Road games.

I'll take a shot.

Some positives are:

We got rid of a bunch of athletes, none of which could shoot or run the point well.

Some negatives are:

Road games.

What 2 freshmen? Clardy is a walk-on and he should only be playing against Arizona A&M Tech in the final minutes.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
We have been pumped full of such high expectations so many times in recent years only to see repeated catastrophes how can we get excited any more? The approaching season has no exciting recruits; mediocre at best.
Maybe, just maybe; a class with no premadonnas will be a good omen with no entitlements, etc.

Kennedy is a sophomore though...
My bad he IS a sophmore. After losing Stroud, our supposed future rests with Onyema, Kennedy, Hess and Sjolund. Not including Bienemy because I'm hoping he plays this season. We need him to win. I have a feeling that Onyema is still gowing a bit. He may be center size in another year.

Last edited:
I'll take a shot.

Some positives are:

Some negatives are:

Road games.
Another positive is that we eliminated a lot of the locker room drama. We did add a natural juco pg in White. Even without waivers I‘m excited to see what him and his two high school buddies accomplish. I also think Efe is going to have a solid year offensively. On paper the team might not look as talented without all the former 4 star recruits but there should be more cohesion and energy.

Another positive is that we eliminated a lot of the locker room drama. We did add a natural juco pg in White. Even without waivers I‘m excited to see what him and his two high school buddies accomplish. I also think Efe is going to have a solid year offensively. On paper the team might not look as talented without all the former 4 star recruits but there should be more cohesion and energy.
Not sure about White. He has good size and rebounding for a point guard. He also shot well at the JC level, but his turnover rate is high. I hope he's been working on his handle the past few months.

If there are no waivers and no graduate transfer PG, then White will probably back up Boum.

Last edited:
Reactions: miner1liner
Not sure about White. He has good size and rebounding for a point guard. He also shot well at the JC level, but his turnover rate is high. I hope he's been working on his handle the past few months.

If there are no waivers and no graduate transfer PG, then White will probably back up Boum.
I hope Terry isn’t that incompetent. It makes no sense to move one of our best returning players out of position. Boum averages 1.7 t.o per game but I imagine it would be much higher running the point. Is it worth to move him out of position because White averages a little over one more t.o per game than Boum?

My starting five right now is
White
Boum
Sjloud
Williams
Verhoven

I hope Terry isn’t that incompetent. It makes no sense to move one of our best returning players out of position. Boum averages 1.7 t.o per game but I imagine it would be much higher running the point. Is it worth to move him out of position because White averages a little over one more t.o per game than Boum?

My starting five right now is
White
Boum
Sjloud
Williams
Verhoven
Maybe, but do you think CRT will give the reigns to White while Kennedy sits on the Bench?

I think the options are Boum, waiver or graduate transfer.

Maybe, but do you think CRT will give the reigns to White while Kennedy sits on the Bench?

I think the options are Boum, waiver or graduate transfer.
Yes. I could also see a three guard lineup with either Sjloun or Verhoeven taking the bench.

Reactions: axingfools1
Some positives are:

"Getting rid" of a third of our team every season is NOT a positive. That was the problem with the Floyd years: we could never build a stable team with so much turnover. Expecting a different outcome now is insanity.

"Getting rid" of a third of our team every season is NOT a positive. That was the problem with the Floyd years: we could never build a stable team with so much turnover. Expecting a different outcome now is insanity.
Yes that is true. Maybe I'm just grasping for something that's not there. I was really dissapointed when both Eze and Stroud left. I've already soured on CRTs coaching style and overrecruiting. I really hope he and the players work out, but its not looking good. I think CRT is praying to the NCAA gods for waivers this year, otherwise he is all but done.

Yes. I could also see a three guard lineup with either Sjloun or Verhoeven taking the bench.
Maybe White and Boum in the backcourt together makes more sense. White actually has really decent shooting numbers. If that translates to D1 then great. I just didn't like his turnover rate being 3.6 per game. The deeper we can be in the backcourt the better.

I think CRT is praying to the NCAA gods for waivers this year, otherwise he is all but done.

I would bring this up pre-COVID. What makes most of us think the 2021-22 team will be any good without Bryson? Why should we put our trust in RT to bring in some better players over the next 18 months to even coach the 2021-22 team? I suggested we cut our losses now, but kind of hard to because of the way COVID is acting. We will just have to deal with a lame duck coach for 2 seasons.

I would bring this up pre-COVID. What makes most of us think the 2021-22 team will be any good without Bryson? Why should we put our trust in RT to bring in some better players over the next 18 months to even coach the 2021-22 team? I suggested we cut our losses now, but kind of hard to because of the way COVID is acting. We will just have to deal with a lame duck coach for 2 seasons.
I've thought about that too, but CRT actually has a good track record with power forwards. Also the fact that he brought in guys from the Big 12 and ACC gives me hope that he can somehow replace BW.

What if sports are canceled in 2020 and all seniors are granted an extra eligibility year. Then for 2021 we have Williams and the Oklahoma transfer. Doesn’t sound too bad.

I've thought about that too, but CRT actually has a good track record with power forwards. Also the fact that he brought in guys from the Big 12 and ACC gives me hope that he can somehow replace BW.

Archie and Vila once played for Big 12 teams too. Give me a MWC transfer like Bryson over those 2 turds any day of the week.

What if sports are canceled in 2020 and all seniors are granted an extra eligibility year. Then for 2021 we have Williams and the Oklahoma transfer. Doesn’t sound too bad.

It’s our best hope! But maybe Bryson leaves to play pro ball instead of spending another season in college.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Maybe White and Boum in the backcourt together makes more sense. White actually has really decent shooting numbers. If that translates to D1 then great. I just didn't like his turnover rate being 3.6 per game. The deeper we can be in the backcourt the better.
Which site are you using for his stats? Now that I’m looking closely at his numbers, something seems off. It’s showing games where he only played one minute but had 12 points. I question the accuracy of his stats.

That is high. Probably a product of trying to make too much happen. Sometimes those JUCO games are sloppy af and hopefully his TO rate is just a symptom of playing down to that level of competition.

My theory on CRT’s coaching is that it’s heavily influenced by Rick Barnes. I watched Barnes for years:

A defense-minded coach whose offense can be frustrating to watch unless he has a transcendent scorer to open up things for the other players.

So axing, Corona, and train: how about an early season prediction, even if qualified?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT