ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball Schedule Released

groundrounds

MI Regular
Dec 3, 2017
The Mountains of New Mexico
Last edited:
If UTEP plays regionally close opponents like a Sul Ross or a Western New Mexico, it isn't that big a deal. Just don't let it be more than two or three games a season. If we can play an equal number of big time schools it will even out. Some variety is fine. Just don't play Watsamatta U. every year for a decade.

I remember listening to Kappy's show one day back in 2003 on my way home from work. Steve had two guests on - one who was talking about the newly determined Sun Bowl Basketball Tournament field, the other was Joe Muench. Muench kept pushing the idea that NMSU should be an annual participant in the tournament, which I thought was absolutely stupid. The Sun Bowl official laid out two obvious reasons why this was a bad idea:

1. Visiting teams expect to play at most one game against the home team and at least one neutral site game. Since NMSU is so close it would feel to a visitor like they might have two play two games against a "home" team; and

2. While Miner fans look forward to playing the Aggies, we already play them twice a year, and no one wants a schedule that feels like all Aggies, all the time.

I was hoping that this answer, which should have been obvious, would satisfy Muench. I then had to run into Walmart to pick up a few things. When I got back to my car about half an hour later Muench, to my surprise, was still going on about his stupid idea. I knew that he was an idiot, just not that he was this big of an idiot.

Now Muench's idea, which is still moronic, has been implemented. Somewhere Muench is smiling, while the rest of us are left to groan.

I remember listening to Kappy's show one day back in 2003 on my way home from work. Steve had two guests on - one who was talking about the newly determined Sun Bowl Basketball Tournament field, the other was Joe Muench. Muench kept pushing the idea that NMSU should be an annual participant in the tournament, which I thought was absolutely stupid. The Sun Bowl official laid out two obvious reasons why this was a bad idea:

1. Visiting teams expect to play at most one game against the home team and at least one neutral site game. Since NMSU is so close it would feel to a visitor like they might have two play two games against a "home" team; and

2. While Miner fans look forward to playing the Aggies, we already play them twice a year, and no one wants a schedule that feels like all Aggies, all the time.

I was hoping that this answer, which should have been obvious, would satisfy Muench. I then had to run into Walmart to pick up a few things. When I got back to my car about half an hour later Muench, to my surprise, was still going on about his stupid idea. I knew that he was an idiot, just not that he was this big of an idiot.

Now Muench's idea, which is still moronic, has been implemented. Somewhere Muench is smiling, while the rest of us are left to groan.
Why do I get the weird feeling Mario Moccia is actually running UTEP athletics? 😀

I think they should expand it to 8 teams. 4 teams play on the Pan Am and 4 in Haskins. Champion game can alternate from NMSU and Utep, and get Stadium to show the games.

I think they should expand it to 8 teams. 4 teams play on the Pan Am and 4 in Haskins. Champion game can alternate from NMSU and Utep, and get Stadium to show the games.
One problem is that this tournament is not, and likely never will be, an exempt tournament. Back in the pre-exempt tournament days several universities hosted holiday tournaments, and, honestly, the Sun Bowl Basketball Tournament was a very good one. The tournament used to host teams like Clemson, Arizona, Michigan, Texas Tech, Wake Forest, Purdue, Texas, Ohio State, Iowa State. Auburn, and a host of other big name schools. Once the preseason exempted tournaments came around, and allowed schools to play multiple games in the tournament while only one would count against their allotted 28 regular season games, holiday tournaments started falling by the wasteside. This is now one of the few left. It's hard to find schools that will burn two straight games away from home, potentially one road and one neutral site game, for what the Sun Bowl Association can afford to pay them. Now we get teams like Norfolk State, UNC Wilmington, Maryland Eastern Shore, etc. There's no way that the Sunnies can pony of the money for an eight team tournament, and no way to drum up fan interest in the teams that would be able to bring in.

This article says that MTEs don't count against the allowed 28 games per season. But I think they are wrong. The Sun Bowl Tourney is a non-exempt MTE so I think Maniac is right.

Last edited:

With his argument Texas Tech should use it's influence in the Big XII to bring UTEP in. Borderland teammates with history?

Bring back Hardin Simmons.

My point is at that time, things were different. It's 2022 and here we are.

He was scared NMSU would get left behind.

Last edited:

What I never understood was why the El Paso Times, for years, put the obvious Aggie homer Muench on the UTEP beat. He wrote a regular column that appeared on the front page of the sports section that always ragged on UTEP, from a "concern troll" perspective. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a columnist who never asks tough questions of the administration, but he was a blatant Aggie hired by our hometown paper to write a regular UTEP column and whenever UTEP enjoyed any whiff of success, his bitterness shone through. What were they smoking?

What I never understood was why the El Paso Times, for years, put the obvious Aggie homer Muench on the UTEP beat. He wrote a regular column that appeared on the front page of the sports section that always ragged on UTEP, from a "concern troll" perspective. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a columnist who never asks tough questions of the administration, but he was a blatant Aggie hired by our hometown paper to write a regular UTEP column and whenever UTEP enjoyed any whiff of success, his bitterness shone through. What were they smoking?
That is the typical UTEP fan paranoia. Just because Muench was a NMSU fan, doesn’t mean he was incapable of writing about UTEP. It appears that you all didn’t have an issue with it, because you continued to read his columns.

This is the same thing that all local newscasters face today. If Colin Deaver reports on NMSU, or posts anything positive about NMSU, here comes the angry UTEP moron fan mob. NMSU has been more successful than UTEP (basketball mainly) over the last 12 years and the local news isn’t supposed to cover it?

The EP Times had a “pro-UTEP” guy cover UTEP until he started writing the truth and Stull had him “removed”.

You can blame writers, news channels, and whatever else. The only problem UTEP has, is themselves.

That is the typical UTEP fan paranoia. Just because Muench was a NMSU fan, doesn’t mean he was incapable of writing about UTEP. It appears that you all didn’t have an issue with it, because you continued to read his columns.

This is the same thing that all local newscasters face today. If Colin Deaver reports on NMSU, or posts anything positive about NMSU, here comes the angry UTEP moron fan mob. NMSU has been more successful than UTEP (basketball mainly) over the last 12 years and the local news isn’t supposed to cover it?

The EP Times had a “pro-UTEP” guy cover UTEP until he started writing the truth and Stull had him “removed”.

You can blame writers, news channels, and whatever else. The only problem UTEP has, is themselves.

Does the El Paso Times even move the needle for anyone anymore?

I got the deal on 2/22/22 where it was $2.22 for 2 years. I gotta say, its kinda trash. They don't post new content very often and its really liberal. I find ktsm.com and this site have better content and its free.

I liked Muench. He was funny and his columns were enjoyable.

With his argument Texas Tech should use it's influence in the Big XII to bring UTEP in. Borderland teammates with history?

Bring back Hardin Simmons.

My point is at that time, things were different. It's 2022 and here we are.

He was scared NMSU would get left behind.
A all Texas conference would be awesome. Texas is making a mistake going to the SEC. Just look at Nebraska they cant compete in the Big Ten. A all Texas conference would be a top league. I would even be okay if Texas got a bigger piece of the pie.

All Texas Conference

Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Houston
SMU
North Texas
Rice
UTSA
UTEP
Texas State
North Texas
Sam Houston State

Nobody beats that league not even the SEC. That would get a big TV Deal. No other state can come up with something better.

I liked Muench. He was funny and his columns were enjoyable.
I couldn't stand him. It's not because I thought that he was an Aggie Fan. It's not because I thought that he was too tough on UTEP. It doesn't hurt my feelings when a columnist criticizes the Miners, they so often deserve the criticism. I didn't like him because I thought that he was an idiot and a lousy writer.

Let me give a couple of examples. I remember a column he wrote about Karl Benson trying to keep the WAC together when several of us were about to split to CUSA. He tried to make an analogy about a rancher tending his cattle. The metaphor was a poor one, and the execution was even worse. There was a real story to tell there, but Muench's article did a poor job of telling it.

Another example is when Muench was comparing the recruiting class we would have had if Billy Gillispie had stayed versus the one that Doc Sadler was bringing in. He argued that we were trading a player with four years let to play in Alex Galindo for a two year player in Miguel Ayala, and getting the short end of that stick. Fair enough. At the time I thought that Galindo was easily the better of the two. He then compared Ivan Almonte to Stanley Branch, and argued that we were trading a player with two years of JUCO experience for an inexperienced freshman, and again, UTEP was getting the short end of that stick. What? Where did his logic go that a four year player was better than a two year player? It was a terrible, badly flawed article. For the record, I thought that we were on the winning side with Stanley Branch, but he ended up being the 2004 version of Buddha Jones.

I don't remember the article, but after one of his many poorly written articles I said on this forum that most of the freshman journalism majors at UTEP could write better than Joe Muench, and those that couldn't should switch majors. I stand by that statement.

I couldn't stand him. It's not because I thought that he was an Aggie Fan. It's not because I thought that he was too tough on UTEP. It doesn't hurt my feelings when a columnist criticizes the Miners, they so often deserve the criticism. I didn't like him because I thought that he was an idiot and a lousy writer.

Let me give a couple of examples. I remember a column he wrote about Karl Benson trying to keep the WAC together when several of us were about to split to CUSA. He tried to make an analogy about a rancher tending his cattle. The metaphor was a poor one, and the execution was even worse. There was a real story to tell there, but Muench's article did a poor job of telling it.

Another example is when Muench was comparing the recruiting class we would have had if Billy Gillispie had stayed versus the one that Doc Sadler was bringing in. He argued that we were trading a player with four years let to play in Alex Galindo for a two year player in Miguel Ayala, and getting the short end of that stick. Fair enough. At the time I thought that Galindo was easily the better of the two. He then compared Ivan Almonte to Stanley Branch, and argued that we were trading a player with two years of JUCO experience for an inexperienced freshman, and again, UTEP was getting the short end of that stick. What? Where did his logic go that a four year player was better than a two year player? It was a terrible, badly flawed article. For the record, I thought that we were on the winning side with Stanley Branch, but he ended up being the 2004 version of Buddha Jones.

I don't remember the article, but after one of his many poorly written articles I said on this forum that most of the freshman journalism majors at UTEP could write better than Joe Muench, and those that couldn't should switch majors. I stand by that statement.

Meunch was one of those writers where you loved his writing or hated it.

I think he is a huge step up from Kappy's writing. He is a UTEP homer and his writing is boring.

Now Muench's idea, which is still moronic, has been implemented. Somewhere Muench is smiling, while the rest of us are left to

Reactions: denverutep
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT