ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball Schedule Released

ANY locals were able to attend practice which started Monday?
Shemar Givance looks really good. Super quick, gets inside the paint and creates for others. He is also a great on ball defender. He is going to be a star this season. Tae Hardy and Otis Fraizer also looked good. Frazier had a few athletic dunks on backdoor cuts during shell drill and overall is a solid athlete similar to Kennedy. Calvin Solomon is also a good athlete and can handle the ball pretty well for his size. They cannot shoot the ball very well, so that may be an issue. They look a lot more athletic than last years team. Hardy and Givance looked like the two best, most mature, and confident players. Sibleys length on the perimeter should lead to a lot of deflections and steals. It will be a fun team to watch ! Physically Onyema and Kalu look the part, especially Kalu. If he can be a little more assertive and not play soft the way he did early last year, he could end up being serviceable.

I am curious about Sumlin and Lemus. You got anything on them?
They did not really stand out. Sumlin is a project and has some old, talented guards ahead of him. Lemus was pegged as a shooter, but he has a really weird looking shot. Lets see how it translates. Mckinney will be exciting as he is an elite athlete. Hard to judge off of one practice. A lot of the guys were still trying to get familiar with the offense, so at times there was not as much flow to the offense. Again, I think its going to be a fun season and team to follow.

Shemar Givance looks really good. Super quick, gets inside the paint and creates for others. He is also a great on ball defender. He is going to be a star this season. Tae Hardy and Otis Fraizer also looked good. Frazier had a few athletic dunks on backdoor cuts during shell drill and overall is a solid athlete similar to Kennedy. Calvin Solomon is also a good athlete and can handle the ball pretty well for his size. They cannot shoot the ball very well, so that may be an issue. They look a lot more athletic than last years team. Hardy and Givance looked like the two best, most mature, and confident players. Sibleys length on the perimeter should lead to a lot of deflections and steals. It will be a fun team to watch ! Physically Onyema and Kalu look the part, especially Kalu. If he can be a little more assertive and not play soft the way he did early last year, he could end up being serviceable.
I've said from the start Givance was a great pick up and will be the best player overall and both him and Hardy can play the point. This year all depends on how quick they gel, if a couple players can get hot from 3 for the season and of the Bigs can do a decent job. Might surprise some people, we'll see!

I've said from the start Givance was a great pick up and will be the best player overall and both him and Hardy can play the point. This year all depends on how quick they gel, if a couple players can get hot from 3 for the season and of the Bigs can do a decent job. Might surprise some people, we'll see!
Who do you think the first guard off the bench will be?

I’m hopeful that CJG can get these guys to gel like he was able to his last several years at ACU.

I’m hopeful that CJG can get these guys to gel like he was able to his last several years at ACU.
When CJG was first hired at UTEP he was asked if he planned to use the same type of heavy ball pressure defense that he used at ACU, that thrives off of creating turnovers. At the time he mentioned that type of defense was more of a niche type defense he chose to use because of the type of athletes he was able to get at ACU. At UTEP, he said he expected to attract better players. Looking at the current roster, it may very well be that Golding's approach this year is to try to and go 9/10 deep with heavy ball pressure in order to create a ton of turnovers. Last year, we saw some of this, but we lacked the depth to maintain. Hopefully, this year Golding has enough guys to implement the "niche" defense because I think scoring in the halfcourt may be a challenge.

When CJG was first hired at UTEP he was asked if he planned to use the same type of heavy ball pressure defense that he used at ACU, that thrives off of creating turnovers. At the time he mentioned that type of defense was more of a niche type defense he chose to use because of the type of athletes he was able to get at ACU. At UTEP, he said he expected to attract better players. Looking at the current roster, it may very well be that Golding's approach this year is to try to and go 9/10 deep with heavy ball pressure in order to create a ton of turnovers. Last year, we saw some of this, but we lacked the depth to maintain. Hopefully, this year Golding has enough guys to implement the "niche" defense because I think scoring in the halfcourt may be a challenge.
I agree. That in your face defense has worked for UNT the last couple years. If I’m not mistaken they had the number 1 defense as far as points per game last year. It may not be all that exciting but really good defense can go a long way.

I agree. That in your face defense has worked for UNT the last couple years. If I’m not mistaken they had the number 1 defense as far as points per game last year. It may not be all that exciting but really good defense can go a long way.
Yep, and ACU led the NCAA in turnover margin again last year. If Golding can get his team to defend similar to those teams, he would develop a team no one wants to play; similar to his buddy McCasland.

Last edited:

I know that times change but I miss the days when fans in the DHC would stand until the opponents scored their first point. And the "amen" chant after a big win. Some things should just never change.

Better players AND good defense would be fun!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT