ADVERTISEMENT

Mid Season Questions

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
We’ve played 14 D1 games and have at least 14 remaining. 14 Simple yes or no questions.

1. Is the season going as expected?
  2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod?
  3. Will they win four games in four days in Frisco?
  4. Will UTEP host a CBI/CIT game?
  5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP?
  6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter?
  7. Does UTEP win more than 2 road games?
  8. Does UTEP lose another home game?
  9. Will 8k+ show up for any remaining games?
  10. Will Villa have a breakout game?
  11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins?
  12. Do 3 players or more transfer out?
  13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer?
  14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP?

Reactions: picks up
1. NO. Especially not after the season started.
2. NO
3. NO
4. NO
5. NO. Finishes 2nd behind Jackson.
6. YES.
7. NO. I think we win at Rice.
8. YES
9. NO
10. NO
11. NO
12. YES. We only need 2 more to leave.
13. NO. Not highly touted.
14. NO. Not the way he is coaching now.

Reactions: JCorona
  1. Is the season going as expected? No
  2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod? No
  3. Will they win four games in four days in Frisco? No
  4. Will UTEP host a CBI/CIT game? Yes
  5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP? No
  6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter? Yes
  7. Does UTEP win more than 2 road games? Yes
  8. Does UTEP lose another home game? Yes
  9. Will 8k+ show up for any remaining games? No
  10. Will Villa have a breakout game? No
  11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins? Yes
  12. Do 3 players or more transfer out? Yes
  13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer? - Depends on your definition
  14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP? - Have to make one first

1. Is the season going as expected? No
  2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod? No
  5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP? No
  6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter? Yes
  8. Does UTEP lose another home game? Yes
  10. Will Villa have a breakout game? No
  11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins? Yes
  12. Do 3 players or more transfer out? Yes
  13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer? - Depends on your definition
  14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP? - Have to make one first
Nice. You’re more optimistic than myself.

We’ve played 14 D1 games and have at least 14 remaining. 14 Simple yes or no questions.

1. Is the season going as expected?
No. I was expecting improvement as the season progressed. I was expecting road wins by now. I was expecting more than what we've seen from the coaching staff and from every almost every player not named Bryson Williams.

2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod?
No.

3. Will they win four games in four days in Frisco?
Anything is possible, but no.

4. Will UTEP host a CBI/CIT game?
Possibly. If Senter and Terry want to play in the CBI.

5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP?
No, unless we miraculously turn thing around and compete for a conference championship (not happening).

6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter?
Yes. Since Stull first took over UTEP our athletics program has been both the most secretive and sensitive that I've ever seen. This hasn't changed with Senter taking over.

7. Does UTEP win more than 2 road games?
I desperately hope so.

8. Does UTEP lose another home game?
Probably. We aren't very good.

9. Will 8k+ show up for any remaining games?
No.

10. Will Villa have a breakout game?
What is a break out game for Vila? He hits more than two shots and doesn't turn the ball over at a critical time? But seriously, no.

11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins?
If we include CUSA Tournament and possible CBI, I'll say yes. Otherwise, I hope.

12. Do 3 players or more transfer out?
Probably.

13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer?
Yes, that's what he's best at. Will they be any good? For that, we'll have to see.

14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP?
A year ago, or a couple of months ago, I say yes. Today? I hope so, but I'm not confident. He will have to recruit a fantastically talented team, or bring in a good X's and O's guy as an assistant.

1. Is the season going as expected? Kinda
  2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod? no
  3. Will they win four games in four days in Frisco? no
  4. Will UTEP host a CBI/CIT game? the question is moot
  5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP? Should
  6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter? definitely
  8. Does UTEP lose another home game? Probably
  9. Will 8k+ show up for any remaining games? Depends but not likely
  10. Will Villa have a breakout game? Nah
  11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins? Gonna be tough
  12. Do 3 players or more transfer out? yes
  13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer? yes
  14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP? yes

Some more questions?
1. Why are we losing transfers/recruits to the American conference, NMSU and likely power 5 today (with Eze to K-State)?
2. Why are players that dominated in certain categories at other schools (or at UTEP) riding the bench while others get unwarranted playing time?
3. Why is our one freshman with "the most potential" riding the bench?
4. Why are players regressing under Terry?
5. Why can't Terry adjust to his players and utilize them better from game to game?
6. Does Terry have a good grasp on his offense?
7. Will there be a mass exodus after the season (aside from Vila, Tydus, Tarke, Archie and Boum)?
8. Will we still be rebuilding in football and basketball in year 3?

1. Is the season going as expected? Not as I expected, but Terry has made vast improvements and I see progress
  2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod? Its CUSA and it is wide open. La Tech did lose to an undermanned UTSA squad.
  4. Will UTEP host a CBI/CIT game? Coaches leave it up to the players and AD's leave it up to the bank account.
  5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP? He should. No one can stop him.
  6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter? That Hawaii trip was a disaster and folks that he shouldn't have blocked, were.
  7. Does UTEP win more than 2 road games? Yes.
  8. Does UTEP lose another home game? Perhaps. UAB comes to town and that game is always tough when they come to the DHC.
  10. Will Villa have a breakout game? Yes.
  11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins? Not quite.
  12. Do 3 players or more transfer out? No
  13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer? No. But he can bring top mid major transfers.
  14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP? Yes

1 thru 5 no
6. Yes
7. no
8. Yes
9-11. No
12. Yes
13-14. No

Question 15. Are we worth a poop?
No

I've asked this before and never got an answer. What specifically prompted Terry to block certain fans on Twitter?
on Twitter

The reason I asked about Terry blocking fans is because I’ve noticed a lot more people tagging the coach with their frustrations about the season.

For me, the question is how do we fix the two areas mentioned below by Wednesday:

On the Stroud question, Terry did address that and mentioned Stroud's struggles on defense as his main roadblock for more PT. Terry said he simply loses his man too often. I would also like to see a little more of Stroud, and I hope he is able work through Terry's "tough love" approach, because he has shown some offensive potential. Hope he sticks around.

Last edited:
For me, the question is how do we fix the two areas mentioned below by Wednesday:

Protect the ball.

Proper passing technique.
During fast breaks, you set up the big man in transition to the basket. You don't throw it to him at midcourt while going full tilt.
Front of body should always be towards the ball and expect it to come you (Unless big man is down low posting). You go to the ball when passed to you.
When rebounding, yell "Mine!". Saw many, many, many times UTEP attacking the glass but running into the same player. Ball gets tipped and ends up in opponents hands.
Hand strength. Just to pump up the biceps and legs. Get some hand grips and work the hands.
Control. The game arc down low is new to college ball. The eurostep is effective but UTEP players are going out of control to the basket. I don't see a lot of "stop and pop". I do see eurostepping and some floaters. JWash had a nice "stop n pop" from short range when he was at UTEP.
Hold your ground. Claim it, defend it, don't give it up. Fanny, fanny, fanny. You can't push, grab, hack but you can shove, hold your ground, and throw that toilet seat warmer nature gave you. You can't throw it out in a high pic, but you put your body between that defender with your backside to the opponent.

On the Stroud question, Terry did address that and mentioned Stroud's struggles on defense as his main roadblock for more PT. Terry said he simply loses his man too often. I would also like to see a little more of Stroud, and I hope he is able work through Terry's "tough love" approach, because he has shown some offensive potential. Hope he sticks around.
No doubt Stroud has his defensive struggles, but what the hell is that thing Vila has? He gets 25 or more minutes per game and doesn't get yanked. Different measuring stick.

No doubt Stroud has his defensive struggles, but what the hell is that thing Vila has? He gets 25 or more minutes per game and doesn't get yanked. Different measuring stick.
Playing a bit of devil's advocate here. I'm definitely not a Vila fan, and have stated that multiple times. However, in terms of the current roster, I don't see a great option for what it appears Terry is trying to do with Vila on offense. Efe and Tydus are interior guys, so replacing Vila with one of them is not a one for one replacement. A true stretch four, who could actually make a shot, would make this offense a whole lot better. I was hoping Tarke would be that guy, but that has not been the case. The wide open shots are there for the taking. The other option would be to go small, like axing has mentioned. I just don't see any guys who can make a shot consistently. Plus, an easy defensive adjustment from opposing teams is to simply play more zone. I guess it keeps going back to those two fundamental problems: Poor shooting and turnovers.

Vila loses his man every time, its questionable if he ever knows which one is his man

Reactions: Lil_Train
Vila loses his man every time, its questionable if he ever knows which one is his man
Vila plays like the Three Stooges all wrapped into one. Just stands there going, " Duh?" while his man does what he wants. By the time he figures out what to do, it's too late.
I don't like belittling Vila or anyone else and I feel crappy for doing so and I apologise, but *&+?+#@+$(-*.
Can anyone please point to any positives when he's on the floor to offset the obvious negatives?

Exactly. And why did Tydus go from starter to NO minutes at all in conference? I know he can't score outside the arc, but he could be a rebounding/shot blocking machine if he was told to do so. We dont need an offensive minded center with Williams, we need a protector and a finisher at the rim when Williams needs help or is double teamed.

I guess Terry didn't see that botched layup/easy dunk by Vila early on against La Tech. I guess he doesnt see Vila standing under the rim with his hands to his chest when other teams are attacking our rim. He does see the early foul on Efe and yanks him right away and doesn't play him the rest if the half (despite being deemed a starter).

Seems that Terry is just randomly starting some guys only to keep them interested.

Reactions: miner1liner
Both basketball and football need to show me something before I have any sort of long term optimism. Everyone looks ridiculous claiming “bowl game” or “NCAA Tournament” year in and year out. So until something changes for the better we’re just not good enough, but I hope I am proven wrong.

Playing a bit of devil's advocate here. I'm definitely not a Vila fan, and have stated that multiple times. However, in terms of the current roster, I don't see a great option for what it appears Terry is trying to do with Vila on offense. Efe and Tydus are interior guys, so replacing Vila with one of them is not a one for one replacement. A true stretch four, who could actually make a shot, would make this offense a whole lot better. I was hoping Tarke would be that guy, but that has not been the case. The wide open shots are there for the taking. The other option would be to go small, like axing has mentioned. I just don't see any guys who can make a shot consistently. Plus, an easy defensive adjustment from opposing teams is to simply play more zone. I guess it keeps going back to those two fundamental problems: Poor shooting and turnovers.
So if you are Terry, how do you adjust? Our poor shooting is from launching too many 3's. Our percentage jumps up if we cut the 3's in half. Most of our turnovers come in the halfcourt, but most of our runs come when we get up tempo. We are also deep and athletic. If 3s are dropping in the second half like La Tech then utilize them too, but dont depend on it.

The answer is easy for me. Play tough D and run. Attack the rim and get to the line. Play the guys that fit the bill and adjust to who's hot and specific matchups with game plans. Shoot 3s if they are falling, but never lose site of the strategy and dont be afraid to stick with it (and the players that got you there) in crunch time.

Last edited:
So if you are Terry, how do you adjust? Our poor shooting if from launching too many 3's. Our percentage jumps up if we cut the 3's in half. Most of our turnovers come in the halfcourt, but most of our runs come when we get up tempo. We are also deep and athletic. If 3s are dropping in the second half like La Tech then utilize them too, but dont depend on it.

The answer is easy for me. Play tough D and run. Attack the rim and get to the line. Play the guys that fit the bill and adjust to who's hot and specific matchups with game plans. Shoot 3s if they are falling, but never lose site of the strategy and dont be afraid to stick with it (and the players that got you there) in crunch time.
It's definitely worth a shot. In fact, that is more of the type of offense I expected coming into the year, but that was with more of the player we saw from NJIT, versus what we have seen so far. ;)

I love how Archie attacks the rim. He's one of the few players doing it but he's very aggressive with the dribble drive and it works in his favor most of the time.
Hawkins, Boum, Archie and Stroud can attack the rim well. Edward's a bit too, but like Boum has a hard time finishing. Both of them shoot well at the line though. Lathon and Boum should be stopping and popping opening up drives and passes. I know it's easier said than done but those are our strengths so far. At this point I really dont even think we need a center unless its Efe or Tydus off the bench for certain matchups.

1. Is the season going as expected?- No
  2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod?- No
  3. Will they win four games in four days in Frisco?- No
  4. Will UTEP host a CBI/CIT game?- Yes
  5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP?- No
  6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter?- Yes
  7. Does UTEP win more than 2 road games?- Yes
  8. Does UTEP lose another home game?- Yes
  9. Will 8k+ show up for any remaining games?- No
  10. Will Villa have a breakout game?- No
  11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins?- No
  12. Do 3 players or more transfer out?- Yes
  13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer?- No
  14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP- No

Exactly. And why did Tydus go from starter to NO minutes at all in conference? I know he can't score outside the arc, but he could be a rebounding/shot blocking machine if he was told to do so.
My opinion on Tydus not playing, I'm fine with it at this point. Tydus is a nice defensive player but a zero on offense. Our issue is on the offensive side. I think we're hanging somewhere around 300th in the nation in points per game. We can't afford having 4 offensive players on the floor - we need all the offense we can get. I know your retort is Vila is a zero as well. That might be true, but he at least is a threat to make a shot. If we we were a better offensive team, I'd rather see Tydus a bit more.

My opinion on Tydus not playing, I'm fine with it at this point. Tydus is a nice defensive player but a zero on offense. Our issue is on the offensive side. I think we're hanging somewhere around 300th in the nation in points per game. We can't afford having 4 offensive players on the floor - we need all the offense we can get. I know your retort is Vila is a zero as well. That might be true, but he at least is a threat to make a shot. If we we were a better offensive team, I'd rather see Tydus a bit more.
So leave them both on the bench

1. Is the season going as expected? Nope
  2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod? Nope
  3. Will they win four games in four days in Frisco? Nope
  5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP? Nope
  6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter? Yep
  7. Does UTEP win more than 2 road games? Yep
  8. Does UTEP lose another home game? Yep
  9. Will 8k+ show up for any remaining games? Nope
  10. Will Villa have a breakout game? Nope
  11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins? Nope
  12. Do 3 players or more transfer out? Yep
  13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer? Nope
  14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP? Nope

1. Is the season going as expected? Nope
  2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod? Nope
  3. Will they win four games in four days in Frisco? Nope
  5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP? Nope
  6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter? Yep
  7. Does UTEP win more than 2 road games? Yep
  8. Does UTEP lose another home game? Yep
  9. Will 8k+ show up for any remaining games? Nope
  10. Will Villa have a breakout game? Nope
  11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins? Nope
  12. Do 3 players or more transfer out? Yep
  13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer? Nope
  14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP? Nope

1. Is the season going as expected? - Kinda sorta, coaching mishaps have this team at .500, I don't count those D2 games as wins
  2. Will UTEP finish in the top pod? - No
  3. Will they win four games in four days in Frisco? - No
  4. Will UTEP host a CBI/CIT game? - Possibly
  5. Does Williams win CUSA MVP? - Yes
  6. Will Terry block more fans on Twitter? - Yes
  7. Does UTEP win more than 2 road games? - No
  8. Does UTEP lose another home game? - Yes
  9. Will 8k+ show up for any remaining games? - No
  10. Will Villa have a breakout game? - No
  11. Will the team finish with more than 20 wins? - no
  12. Do 3 players or more transfer out? - Yes
  13. Will Terry bring in a highly touted transfer? - Yes
  14. Does Terry ever win a NCAAT game at UTEP? - No

Which current transfer do you guys consider “highly touted”?

Williams? I don’t think any of the others were.
Williams. I would even put Lathon in the same conversation even though he wasn’t technically a transfer. I should have worded the question differently.

Will Terry bring in a highly touted recruit?

Jim Senter
I posted some questions to him via email and wanted to share some of the results. First; let me say that I respect the fact that he has stepped up and responded to my messages. He has not however answered specific questions with specific answers. They are basically PC only answers and not of much consequence.
When I first questioned some of Terry's abilities and costly decisions related to player selections, the answer was, "I trust my coaches". When I pointed out the regression; not progression of the team's performance, he informed me that they had already won as many games they had all of last year. I asked him how he could use last year's 8 win season; one of the worst seasons in our history as a goal, I felt he was really out of touch with reality.
He has also pointed out Terry missing two games and that we have so many new players. Told me that every one is entitled to an opinion and everyone seems to have one. When I mentioned that the fan base was restless; his response was that he is not worried about the fan base. ?????
His last email was quite a testy one. Said he is putting in 12-14 hours a day with two jobs and hundreds of emails daily and he has no intention of answering questions like mine. Once again; he would not touch any of the questions those of us on this forum pose daily. I think I may have worn out my welcome.

He is putting in 12-14 hours a day? LMAO I am sure he worked hard in New Orleans yesterday.

I gave up when I tweeted him in 2018 how many tickets were sold for Northern Arizona. He said he didn't know.

If you counted 365 working days a year he gets paid about $821 a day. If he works 14 hours, 365 a year (which he obviously doesn't) he would be making about $58 a hour. What a joke!

Last edited:
"Said he is putting in 12-14 hours a day with two jobs and hundreds of emails daily and he has no intention of answering questions like mine."

WOW! He actually told you he has no intentions to answer questions like yours?

I call BS that he received hundreds of e-mails daily from fans.

I say let's start a Twitter campaign to get his attention. Tweets all the other UTEP accounts and all the people in the athletic office. It can't be one or two people. It has to be 10, 20, 30 people. I'm in if anybody is interested.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT