ADVERTISEMENT

Midseason UTEP basketball drama?

giphy.gif

Terry leaving confirmed! Hawkins just getting a jumpstart on next season. Shame he didn’t want to finish the season with the best UTEP team since 09-10 though

He sucked anyway! IYNWUYAU!!!

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I liked Hawkins. I think he was one of our best all around payers and he had the potential to turn into a really good player. If I had to pick one player to lose, he certainly would not have been one of my first choices.
I definitely agree, and the hard part to figure out is that he was getting decent playing time. It will be interesting to see how this one is spun.

The season continues to collapse. Starting to have a familiar feel with departures. Gone are Wade, Smith, Mc Ghee, Gilyard, Eze and now Nigel. Seems like a strange time though to enter the transfer portal. Not liking this at all. What's up?

Doesn't really surprise me. Between Boum, Archie, Stroud, and Kennedy, I figured he'd be the odd man out. I'm not quite as high on him as most on here. He was going to end up like Gio St. Amant. A scorer in his freshman year because of the lack of talent and a role player when the talent came in. Maybe he wasn't willing to take that role.

I don’t think this happened by surprise inside the Stevens Center. Maybe Terry had a conversation (with a few players after Hawaii trip) that Archie’s minutes will go up and Nigel didn’t want to waste his sophomore year. I think it’s more of a sign that playing time is going to go down for a few players during conference and Nigel was one of them and decided to get a head start on next season. Good luck to him.

The season continues to collapse. Starting to have a familiar feel with departures. Gone are Wade, Smith, Mc Ghee, Gilyard, Eze and now Nigel. Seems like a strange time though to enter the transfer portal. Not liking this at all. What's up?

Same time of year Archie entered the portal while at TCU. Will give Hawkins most of next year to play, where ever he ends up.

Maybe reducing the number of players on the roster would help. During the Haskins years I don’t recall the team ever having more than 12 players total. Why do we need up to 18 on a team? Not everyone can play nor have equal minutes.

Maybe reducing the number of players on the roster would help. During the Haskins years I don’t recall the team ever having more than 12 players total. Why do we need up to 18 on a team? Not everyone can play nor have equal minutes.

There’s only 13 scholarships though. The walkons are on the team because they want to. They must really love basketball and/or trying to get better.

Doesn't really surprise me. Between Boum, Archie, Stroud, and Kennedy, I figured he'd be the odd man out. I'm not quite as high on him as most on here. He was going to end up like Gio St. Amant. A scorer in his freshman year because of the lack of talent and a role player when the talent came in. Maybe he wasn't willing to take that role.

I guess we disagree on both Hawkins and Gio. On Gio, I thought that he had a nice three year career at UTEP, and thought that he was miles better than Miguel Ayala, who took what would have been Gio's starting spot had the stayed for his senior season.

As far as Hawkins goes, I really like the guy. The last time I checked the stats he was far and away the leader on the team in assist to turnover ratio and in assists per minute played. His shooting percentage is better than most of the guards on this team. He plays with an energy that those that start ahead of him do not. In my mind he should definitely be starting in front of Lathon. I personally believe that this loss is going to hurt.

I guess we disagree on both Hawkins and Gio. On Gio, I thought that he had a nice three year career at UTEP, and thought that he was miles better than Miguel Ayala, who took what would have been Gio's starting spot had the stayed for his senior season.

As far as Hawkins goes, I really like the guy. The last time I checked the stats he was far and away the leader on the team in assist to turnover ratio and in assists per minute played. His shooting percentage is better than most of the guards on this team. He plays with an energy that those that start ahead of him do not. In my mind he should definitely be starting in front of Lathon. I personally believe that this loss is going to hurt.
I'm witcha all the way Maniac. I too compared his stats this morning with Lathon's. Ppg, assists, to's, etc. Two things not on the stat sheet arr effort and energy.
I continue to be confused.

It's obvious the off-season departure of Lamont Smith has really hurt the basketball program. He was the "brains" of the operation that assisted Terry with the X's and O's. Terry needs to find an assistant and a legit point guard to right the ship.
Agree on both points. The loss of Smith was huge, in my opinion. The guys Terry brought in as assistants seem more as a means of keeping Williams for an additional year, versus guys who can improve the bench coaching. I do have confidence in Terry as a recruiter, so I would anticipate him bringing in a solid player who can contribute immediately. I'm don't see the two incoming freshmen as guys who can jump in and play significant minutes. Hope I am wrong.

It's obvious the off-season departure of Lamont Smith has really hurt the basketball program. He was the "brains" of the operation that assisted Terry with the X's and O's. Terry needs to find an assistant and a legit point guard to right the ship.

If the “brains” of your staff was a guy who had an “incident” with his wife during the season, took a bribe for college admission, and had a 40-52 coaching record, then what does that say about you???

Collapse??? That's a bit of an over reaction I'd say at this point.

Not really. Got blown out my Houston. And going 1-2 in Hawaii beating a mediocre Ball State team by 1 point. It's a collapse because they started out well.

Honestly yes ... we have a bunch of pieces but we are still finding out how they fit, the only thing that has been disappointing has been the lack of shooters..... everything else has been expected in my opinion.... I have always said next year was going to be our big year and this year would be the year we hit 20 wins and start building momentum

Reactions: MinerJo
I admit it's unsportsmanlike , but I always think of transfers like a breakup. You're no longer here so that's it. Go somewhere else, but don't come back and if your problems continue then we know where the problems really came from. If it works out for you, well good for you, but i no longer care

Reactions: shyminer81
Without picking up a good drive and dish pg, a couple consistent long range shooters and some defensive rebounding reinforcements, we won’t be too much better next year.

From the little footage I have seen of Kennedy he looks like he has decent release and decent looking stroke and could be one answer for next year but I still think we need 1 more shooter, hopefully hawkins scholarship.....

Reactions: mikesarabia
From the little footage I have seen of Kennedy he looks like he has decent release and decent looking stroke and could be one answer for next year but I still think we need 1 more shooter, hopefully hawkins scholarship.....
Who was the last legit "shooter" we had?

What do you consider a "big year"?

conference championship and top 25 ranking... that’s what I see for next year as a possibility IF Williams stays... I think this team will get better as we move on... they will lose some games they shouldn’t but will be top 4 this year... hopefully We start off with two road wins or at least a split because at this point it’s all about tournament seeding....

conference championship and top 25 ranking... that’s what I see for next year as a possibility IF Williams stays... I think this team will get better as we move on... they will lose some games they shouldn’t but will be top 4 this year... hopefully We start off with two road wins or at least a split because at this point it’s all about tournament seeding....

I really wish I was as optimistic as you. I really hope it happens!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT