ADVERTISEMENT

Miner-Aggie game

All underclassman who were playing high school a few months ago and UTEP's next Vince Hunter is out. Hawkeye will ease the pain when he comes back. Not a 20 win seasin, but ease the "oh no! Here we go again".

Reactions: minermx07
I really liked the way #3 played. He plays tough with confidence and attitude. You guys got out to a good start, had me nervous. You guys aren’t deep at all. Im sure your coach will fix that in a year or two.

I really liked the way #3 played. He plays tough with confidence and attitude. You guys got out to a good start, had me nervous. You guys aren’t deep at all. Im sure your coach will fix that in a year or two.

CAP6pCE.gif

I think this is a going to be the theme all year... we will be able to hang the first 30 with anyone but then we will just run out of gas — hopefully adding Hawkins to the team might ease that out a bit.... anyone else surprised odigie? I think Latham is extremely athletic but man his jump shot it awful line drive ...

Reactions: axingfools1
Its going to be hard to win with a 7 man rotation. Terry is going to have to deeper in the bench at some point.

This will be a tough year with many freshman playing, but it will pay dividends in the next few years.

Reactions: axingfools1
I think this is a going to be the theme all year... we will be able to hang the first 30 with anyone but then we will just run out of gas — hopefully adding Hawkins to the team might ease that out a bit.... anyone else surprised odigie? I think Latham is extremely athletic but man his jump shot it awful line drive ...
Yes I've noticed the same regarding his jump shot. He is much better mid-range. He nedds to work on free throws as well and maybe trying to get to the hoop more. Odigie has been a very pleasant suprise.

Offensively, Odigie is farther along than I expected. His spin move down low is effective, and his other post moves show promise. I do like his early touch from the free throw line, as he looks like a guy who will get fouled a lot. Potentially he can be the efficient low post scorer we haven't seen in a while. Defensively, it is a different story; lots of room for improvement. Eze is the opposite.

Right now, Lathon is a turnover waiting to happen. He is very loose with the ball, and has had trouble finishing at the rim. I'm hoping that getting Hawkins back will help in some of the areas we are struggling from. I thought the defense was especially poor yesterday, but some of that was due to having to double team down low.

Finally, I know I am beating on a dead horse, but it is super frustrating watching our only senior foul out as a result of 3-4 unnecessary fouls. I counted two over the back fouls on free throws, and one on a moving screen. On top of that, I thought his defense was soft when he was actually defending. The guys he was guarding lit us up consistently. Just not playing smart for a guy who needs to stay on the court.

Last edited:
Not much to build on after this disaster and I am "The Ultimate Mr Positive". I do have some questions.
I have no status to question Terry's judgement but since it's obvious from last night's game and the Tech game where in both instances we were in the game until our legs were gone and the fouls had limited us again; why doesn't he at least try some of his walk-ons? Giles was in for seconds only and Dill and Sullivan at the very end. . others not at all. Seems to me that subbing in some of these guys early in the game giving needed relief to the starters might help stretch their endurance into more positive minutes overall. We all hate zones (Haskins), but that seems a logical choice with the manpower shortage. Other than rebounding I haven't seen anything with Lathon to support the hype, so hopefully it will come soon. The Hawkins entry when it finally happens has got to help immensely.

Not much to build on after this disaster and I am "The Ultimate Mr Positive". I do have some questions.
I have no status to question Terry's judgement but since it's obvious from last night's game and the Tech game where in both instances we were in the game until our legs were gone and the fouls had limited us again; why doesn't he at least try some of his walk-ons? Giles was in for seconds only and Dill and Sullivan at the very end. . others not at all. Seems to me that subbing in some of these guys early in the game giving needed relief to the starters might help stretch their endurance into more positive minutes overall. We all hate zones (Haskins), but that seems a logical choice with the manpower shortage. Other than rebounding I haven't seen anything with Lathon to support the hype, so hopefully it will come soon. The Hawkins entry when it finally happens has got to help immensely.

Maybe he doesn’t go to the walkons because they’re just not good enough. Maybe his rationale is he’d rather have a better player on the floor who may be winded as opposed to a poor player who is a liability offensively/defensively. Very few teams go 10-12 deep. But with that being said injuries will happen and he will be forced to go deeper in the bench as the season goes on.

Maybe he doesn’t go to the walkons because they’re just not good enough. Maybe his rationale is he’d rather have a better player on the floor who may be winded as opposed to a poor player who is a liability offensively/defensively. Very few teams go 10-12 deep. But with that being said injuries will happen and he will be forced to go deeper in the bench as the season goes on.
Not sure it's the answer, but the existing plan isn't working.

Hopefully we can find some defense. This pace would have given Floyd a heart attack.
We will call it even from the 8 years of heart attacks Tim Floyd gave us. Well 9 years...because he destroyed the program and we are still feeling it this year with all the vacancies he left us.

We will call it even from the 8 years of heart attacks Tim Floyd gave us. Well 9 years...because he destroyed the program and we are still feeling it this year with all the vacancies he left us.

It’s not Floyd’s fault Coach Terry decided to use 4 scholarships on players that were transfers. He did not get any grad transfers who are immediately eligible. Coach Terry couldn’t have asked for a better start though. He gets to have most of his players immediately and not run off Floyd’s players or deal with issues.

This season might not be what we all want, but I’m excited for the future.

It’s not Floyd’s fault Coach Terry decided to use 4 scholarships on players that were transfers. He did not get any grad transfers who are immediately eligible. Coach Terry couldn’t have asked for a better start though. He gets to have most of his players immediately and not run off Floyd’s players or deal with issues.

This season might not be what we all want, but I’m excited for the future.
Getting grad transfers wouldn't have done a damn thing. It was still going to be a long year regardless. The 4 transfers are going to have 1 year of practicing with the team and be ready to go next season. BTW..any rumors who is going to be the Chi Dogs new manager????

Grad transfers would be playing right now and the Miners wouldn’t be short handed.

I do not follow minor league baseball. I have only been to 1 Chihuahuas game in my life. Joe Torre or Tommy Lasorda maybe??

Miners may end up being better than we thought. I do wonder why the bench was not used more... The players had no juice left at the end. It should have been more of a 15 pt win... If that even helps lol...

I'm hoping the 2019-20 season is a similar one, kappy. A win in the tourney would feel pretty good too.

I don’t know about everyone else but I am impressed with our freshman... can’t wait to see Hawkins... we will get smashed against Arizona but this tough schedule is great!! This year will be huge for next year...

Reactions: groundrounds
I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but once Hawkeye plays a full game; what he adds is going to be huge. As you said if we can go a quality eight deep, we will win some unexpected games. I don't think we've seen the real Lathon yet.
Just as an FYI for everyone, when I asked Nigel Hawkins about what nickname he goes by or likes and he said it’s N Hawk. Is dad goes by M Hawk so naturally he was called N Hawk. Just sharing what told me.

I don’t know about everyone else but I am impressed with our freshman... can’t wait to see Hawkins... we will get smashed against Arizona but this tough schedule is great!! This year will be huge for next year...
I don’t think we will “get smashed” by Arizona. They are no where near the same team as in prior years plus they are dealing with the FBI and NCAA investigations.

Actually looking back he said Hawkeye or Nighhawk. My mistake. I just hope we can call him something soon ....on the court!

So only been to one game in your life??? haha welcome back bro. You can't even lie right.

You know what? Go **** yourself. I came here to talk UTEP and all most of you seem to care about is Bob or whoever. I regret ever spending time here. It’s no wonder why UTEP has no fans, the ones that are left are miserable pricks like yourself.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT