ADVERTISEMENT

Miner Legend: Coach Jim Forbes

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
As Coach Golding stated last night during post game, “Please pray for Coach Forbes. If you don’t pray, keep him in your mind”. Well said Coach.

I met him long ago after playing Riverside and such a humble man that radiated strength & warmth.

Spent two summers with coach Forbes up in Santa Fe at the Don Haskins camp back in the 70's. Such a nice guy and a different kind of coach, never yelled just addressed us in normal tones and spoke to us as people. This made a great impression on me and the others on our practice team. Haskins was a jokester, Ken Dewesse was all bravado, but coach Forbes was all about confidence and calm. I grew up as a person at those camps and although was never much of a player those times with these 3 along with coach Lynum meant a lot to me and still do. In life we come across people who affect us and leave lasting impressions of how we would like to be or inspire to be and coach Forbes for me was one of those people.

Last edited:
Ah sad - RIP coach! I remember he had a stack of new chuck taylors in his office in the locker room and he liked listening to DeLa Soul in the locker room. (At RHS late 80s) He was a humble man and gentle giant as he's been described.

Last edited:
Spent two summers with coach Forbes up in Santa Fe at the Don Haskins camp back in the 70's. Such a nice guy and a different kind of coach, never yelled just addressed us in normal tones and spoke to us as people. This made a great impression on me and the others on our practice team. Haskins was a jokester, Ken Dewesse was all bravado, but coach Forbes was all about confidence and calm.

Coach was before I started following UTEP, but he sounds like a class act. RIP

Enjoy your time talking hoops with the Bear, and other greats who inhabit heaven with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT