ADVERTISEMENT

Miners fans, rushing the playing surface

HeWore62

All Star
Apr 18, 2018
West Virginia fans moments ago rushed the court after their Mountaineers upset Kansas by 1. It's not as though WVU just won the big enchilada. Facts: The coonskin cap boys have now won exactly one conference game this season.

Got me to thinking ... I can sense the pent-up enthusiasm in UTEP faithful, just looking for an excuse to explode.

What qualifies for a court-rush? What would it take for you and other UTEP faithful to overrun security and mob our home court at the Don?

What about in football, same question for the Sun Bowl?

Win a conference title? Beat a Power 5 team? Get in a bowl game? Clinch a conference title?

West Virginia fans moments ago rushed the court after their Mountaineers upset Kansas by 1. It's not as though WVU just won the big enchilada. Facts: The coonskin cap boys have now won exactly one conference game this season.

Got me to thinking ... I can sense the pent-up enthusiasm in UTEP faithful, just looking for an excuse to explode.

What qualifies for a court-rush? What would it take for you and other UTEP faithful to overrun security and mob our home court at the Don?

What about in football, same question for the Sun Bowl?

Win a conference title? Beat a Power 5 team? Get in a bowl game? Clinch a conference title?

Yes

Times we should have rushed the field had we won.
  • Vs Texas in 08
  • Vs Oregon St in game 3 of CBI in 09
  • Vs Memphis in CUSA Championship game
  • Vs #3 Arizona in 2014
Can’t really think of any other key moments.

Times we should have rushed the field had we won.
  • Vs Texas in 08
  • Vs Oregon St in game 3 of CBI in 09
  • Vs Memphis in CUSA Championship game
  • Vs #3 Arizona in 2014
Can’t really think of any other key moments.
That CBI series with Oregon State in '09 was more than memorable. Maybe it was UTEP's playing style, or the $5 general admission tickets? I just know the sellout crowd was on fire. That one definitely had rush-the-court potential. My ears are still ringing. I want our players to experience some of that same DHC mayhem.

That CBI series with Oregon State in '09 was more than memorable. Maybe it was UTEP's playing style, or the $5 general admission tickets? I just know the sellout crowd was on fire. That one definitely had rush-the-court potential. My ears are still ringing. I want our players to experience some of that same DHC mayhem.
Thanks for reminding me about another missed opportunity to rush the court.

Imo that’s the loudest I have ever heard the Don Haskins Center.

AMEN brother!

Well, the fans in attendance at the UTEP vs. Rice football game in Houston this season ran onto the field after the game. It was all parents of players, UTEP alumni living in Houston and cheerleaders so not huge, but it was sort of funny when the police had to remove them as they took selfies at the 50.

I remember the field rush to tear down the goalposts in 2000. The result was at least two lawsuits.

Reactions: HeWore62
Well, the fans in attendance at the UTEP vs. Rice football game in Houston this season ran onto the field after the game. It was all parents of players, UTEP alumni living in Houston and cheerleaders so not huge, but it was sort of funny when the police had to remove them as they took selfies at the 50.

I remember the field rush to tear down the goalposts in 2000. The result was at least two lawsuits.
No doubt, amigo, rushing the field (or court) is not without risk. I just look back to the emotional torrent after Purdue rocked Ohio State's football world last autumn, and thought dang, wouldn't this be so fine in El Paso?

Remember the UTEP basketball team roaring back vs. Western Kentucky, the night of the salute to the 1966 team? That was a rush-the-court candidate.

Fifteen points down, about five minutes to go ... and here come the Miners, bringing the crowd with them. Or maybe the crowd brought the Miners. Either way, when our guys forced the well-coached Hilltoppers into overtime, those poor saps never had a chance.

Say what you want about Tim Floyd, but that night he pushed the right buttons, forcing tempo and mixing presses. We drowned them in OT.

Sitting in the south end of the Don, I thought back to yesteryear, and choked down a lump of pride. For once, it was our team. Our night.

No doubt, amigo, rushing the field (or court) is not without risk. I just look back to the emotional torrent after Purdue rocked Ohio State's football world last autumn, and thought dang, wouldn't this be so fine in El Paso?

Remember the UTEP basketball team roaring back vs. Western Kentucky, the night of the salute to the 1966 team? That was a rush-the-court candidate.

Fifteen points down, about five minutes to go ... and here come the Miners, bringing the crowd with them. Or maybe the crowd brought the Miners. Either way, when our guys forced the well-coached Hilltoppers into overtime, those poor saps never had a chance.

Say what you want about Tim Floyd, but that night he pushed the right buttons, forcing tempo and mixing presses. We drowned them in OT.

Sitting in the south end of the Don, I thought back to yesteryear, and choked down a lump of pride. For once, it was our team. Our night.
That was indeed a memorable event before a packed Don .Probably the biggest element of excitement in the last few years. The other game that week with Marshall was also about as good as it gets. The scores of those games were unbelievable ...93-89 and 112-108. Pure unmatched entertainment and excitement.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT