ADVERTISEMENT

Miners picked 6th by media

The big immediate question is can UTEP get ahead of N. Texas to start the season off right? They are immediately above us on the list. That would set the season up for success. Go Miners.

Reactions: Rot and utep-piggy
No excuses? What if there are injuries to key players?
Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail. Injuries are part of the game. If Hardison goes down on the first play of the season, it’s Dimel’s responsibility to have a capable backup, ready to go.

Most UTEP fans need to stop giving “passes” to coaches and administrators. That’s a big reason why we will be playing SHSU and Jacksonville St soon. “Wait until next year.” “The calvary is coming.” “Too many injuries.” All excuses ready when UTEP doesn’t cut the mustard.

UTEP isn’t playing 3 P5 opponents non-conference or playing in a tough conference. No excuses not to go 6-6 in year 5 of a coaches regime. Especially when years 1-4 were very underwhelming.

Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail. Injuries are part of the game. If Hardison goes down on the first play of the season, it’s Dimel’s responsibility to have a capable backup, ready to go.

Most UTEP fans need to stop giving “passes” to coaches and administrators. That’s a big reason why we will be playing SHSU and Jacksonville St soon. “Wait until next year.” “The calvary is coming.” “Too many injuries.” All excuses ready when UTEP doesn’t cut the mustard.

UTEP isn’t playing 3 P5 opponents non-conference or playing in a tough conference. No excuses not to go 6-6 in year 5 of a coaches regime. Especially when years 1-4 were very underwhelming.
You think UTEP would be ranked 6th if Hardison were already out?

No excuses? What if there are injuries to key players?
Every team’s gonna have injuries. I agree that it’s not an excuse especially after Dimel has recruited several classes. If this was his first season and he had those Kugler bums rounding out the roster I’d understand.

Reactions: denverutep
Every team’s gonna have injuries. I agree that it’s not an excuse especially after Dimel has recruited several classes. If this was his first season and he had those Kugler bums rounding out the roster I’d understand.
Sure, but there’s a reason Aikman starts over Laufenberg, McCoy starts over Gilbert, etc. etc.

There is also an element of luck in a successful season.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Sure, but there’s a reason Aikman starts over Laufenberg, McCoy starts over Gilbert, etc. etc.

There is also an element of luck in a successful season.
But let’s be real here. Hardison isn’t Aikman level here… regardless of what people on this board think. Hardison is a C+ dude at best. Everyone else is probably C level.

But let’s be real here. Hardison isn’t Aikman level here… regardless of what people on this board think. Hardison is a C+ dude at best. Everyone else is probably C level.
He’s more experienced than the next dude. He’s won some games.

He's been in games that have been won. Can't recall any that I'd say he won. He's simply not even an average D1 QB. Really nice young man though.
If he gets hurt, we’ll see about the next guy. I mean Sanders backed up Thomas, right?

Reactions: Taco1977
I can’t speak for unihorn here, however what I got out of what he’s saying, is not that Hardison is Aikman level. Not at all. I think what he’s alluding to is the disparity between Hardison and whoever has backed him up to this point is similar to the disparity between Aikman and Laufenburg. I’d have to agree.

I would also agree that that inadequacy falls squarely on Dimel and his staff.

I can’t speak for unihorn here, however what I got out of what he’s saying, is not that Hardison is Aikman level. Not at all. I think what he’s alluding to is the disparity between Hardison and whoever has backed him up to this point is similar to the disparity between Aikman and Laufenburg. I’d have to agree.

I would also agree that that inadequacy falls squarely on Dimel and his staff.
Ok, let’s drop it down to college level. Besides Saban usually, who has two stud QB’s ready to go? To the point where you’d bench your starter for a backup in a Natty game?

Ok, let’s drop it down to college level. Besides Saban usually, who has two stud QB’s ready to go? To the point where you’d bench your starter for a backup in a Natty game?
The Saban argument is irrelevant when it comes to UTEP because the Miners are not/will not be on that level. Hardison is average at best and that’s being generous. He didn’t win 1 with his arm, and in that bowl game he showed he couldn’t complete a 10 yard pass when he skipped his last pass of the game into the ground. If this team had to go to the backup, it’s not the end of the world because we’d be switching out 1 bum for another. The hope for this season is that UTEP’s defense continues to play at a high level and the run game can pound out tough yards. Losing either of those could impact UTEP’s season more than the loss of Hardison.

The Saban argument is irrelevant when it comes to UTEP because the Miners are not/will not be on that level. Hardison is average at best and that’s being generous. He didn’t win 1 with his arm, and in that bowl game he showed he couldn’t complete a 10 yard pass when he skipped his last pass of the game into the ground. If this team had to go to the backup, it’s not the end of the world because we’d be switching out 1 bum for another. The hope for this season is that UTEP’s defense continues to play at a high level and the run game can pound out tough yards. Losing either of those could impact UTEP’s season more than the loss of Hardison.
Maybe Hardison has improved.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Hardison had some issues, but he's not a bum. If so he wouldn't be on the all conference watch list. He definitely made too many mistakes last year, but he had some cherry deep balls too. I'll wager that he earns some respect this year and that your harsh take calling him a bum doesn't age well.

Hardison had some issues, but he's not a bum. If so he wouldn't be on the all conference watch list. He definitely made too many mistakes last year, but he had some cherry deep balls too. I'll wager that he earns some respect this year and that your harsh take calling him a bum doesn't age well.
Put some numbers on your statement and I'll take the bet.

He hasn't! It's very unlikely that he will at this point in his career. He wasn't even close to the best passer on the team last season. He is however a good guy that the players really like.
Who was?

What does him being a good guy that players really like have to do with anything? I can’t imagine you’re suggesting that’s why he starts.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Who was?

What does him being a good guy that players really like have to do with anything? I can’t imagine you’re suggesting that’s why he starts.
I think being a good leader is very important for the position. Especially when you combine that with more knowledge of the playbook. He's not very accurate on his throws and late on reads. That's never going to change.

I suspect most of hardison's issues with accuracy can be attributed to poor coaching, poor offensive game planning, and poor play selection by the offensive staff. Rocky Perez often derided Dimel’s play calling, lack of in-game adjustments, and a poorly utilized short and medium passing schemes during UTEPs radio broadcasts last year. He also frequently stated that the throws required of Hardison were too difficult which contributed to his low completion percentage.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
I want a locomotives jersey you can pick you want of equal or lesser value
Is that like $50? If so, a couple Nike miners football tshirts will do the trick.

Just to clarify. If Hardison doesn't hit all the below numbers I win, correct?

3,000+ passing yards
Less than 12 int's
20+ passing tds
Minimum 58% completion percentage

I suspect most of hardison's issues with accuracy can be attributed to poor coaching, poor offensive game planning, and poor play selection by the offensive staff. Rocky Perez often derided Dimel’s play calling, lack of in-game adjustments, and a poorly utilized short and medium passing schemes during UTEPs radio broadcasts last year. He also frequently stated that the throws required of Hardison were too difficult which contributed to his low completion percentage.
I don't see it that way. While the passing game isn't the most creative. I've seen several all 22 films from last seasons games and there were a lot of open receivers. Just watch any of the practices. The receivers are constantly having to break stride to catch his passes and that's without him having to worry about getting hit. Coaching is the issue in that they refuse to make it an open competition for the starting spot.

I think being a good leader is very important for the position. Especially when you combine that with more knowledge of the playbook. He's not very accurate on his throws and late on reads. That's never going to change.
Who was the best passer?

I don't see it that way. While the passing game isn't the most creative. I've seen several all 22 films from last seasons games and there were a lot of open receivers. Just watch any of the practices. The receivers are constantly having to break stride to catch his passes and that's without him having to worry about getting hit. Coaching is the issue in that they refuse to make it an open competition for the starting spot.
I just don’t see it. Why would a coaching staff, especially one who was on the hottest of hot seats until the end of last season, jeopardize their careers by not opening up competition for the starting QB job?

I’m not saying you’re wrong because you seem to pay close enough attention to the program, and maybe have some inside info, however I don’t buy that competition for the most important position on the field isn’t open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT