ADVERTISEMENT

Miners to play Kansas

Terry recruited Durant?

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article249596173.html

“That’s not taking anything away from Texas,” Self said. “They whipped us, but I do think that layoff may have contributed to us not being as sharp. So we wanted to do something (after it was apparent KU would not need to make up any missed league games because of COVID-19 protocols) and this was a good game for us against UTEP, a quality opponent.”

KU was allowed to schedule a 27th game because the KU-Tarleton State game, set for Dec. 13, had been called off because of COVID-19 protocols in Tarleton’s program.

UTEP, which defeated Charlotte in a pair of games last Saturday and Sunday in El Paso, Texas, would have been idle nine days from March 1 until the start of the Conference USA Tournament on March 10 without this game versus KU.

“I’ve known Rodney (Terry, UTEP coach) a long time. He was a longtime assistant at Texas, recruited Durant (Kevin) and some of those guys,” Self said. “He’s been around big-time ball and I thought it would be a good game for us, so this will be.

So a rival coach can get him a two game series but his former boss and university can't.

So a rival coach can get him a two game series but his former boss and university can't.

Are you talking about UT and Barnes at Tennessee?

Don’t get it twisted, if UTEP were 19-0, they wouldn’t be playing Kansas tomorrow. Probably not even next season if UTEP were a worthwhile program.

The Miners should play UT more often. If I had to guess, UT just doesn’t want to.

Sac Bee.com

"UTEP's Souley Boum, Bryson Williams and Tydus Verhoeven have combined to account for 54 percent of the team's scoring this season and have scored 52 percent of all Miners points over the last five games.SOLID SOULEY: Boum has connected on 40.8 percent of the 142 3-pointers he's attempted and has made 12 of 25 over his last three games. He's also made 81.5 percent of his free throws this season.

The Jayhawks are 0-8 when they allow at least 75 points and 18-0 when they hold opponents to anything under 75 points. The Miners are 0-9 when they score 68 points or fewer and 12-1 when they exceed 68.

UTEP has dropped its last five road games, scoring 57.6 points and allowing 72.2 points during those contests. Kansas has won its last seven home games, scoring an average of 72.7 points while giving up 58.6.

DID YOU KNOW: UTEP has committed a turnover on just 15.7 percent of its possessions this season, which is the second-best rate among all CUSA teams. The Miners have turned the ball over only 10.9 times per game this season."

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article249656188.html
Sounds great!!!!

Don’t get it twisted, if UTEP were 19-0, they wouldn’t be playing Kansas tomorrow. Probably not even next season if UTEP were a worthwhile program.

The Miners should play UT more often. If I had to guess, UT just doesn’t want to.
Ouch. Well there you have it. Winning 10 wac titles in a row doesn't make you a worthwhile program.

Reactions: utep2step
Ouch. Well there you have it. Winning 10 wac titles in a row doesn't make you a worthwhile program.

How long ago did that happen? And they never won 10 in a row

Oh you’re talking about NMSU. Did they sign a 2 game home series with Kansas?

I believe they had made 6 straight ncaa tournaments and averaged 25 wins per season prior to their game at Kansas. Kansas doesn't schedule worthwhile programs.

I never said that. Look at their schedule I’m sure they play plenty of tough OOC games. NMSU obsession continues!

I never said that. Look at their schedule I’m sure they play plenty of tough OOC games. NMSU obsession continues!
You literally just said that if UTEP was a worthwhile program they wouldn't have scheduled us. Lol. I guess nmsu isn't either.

You literally just said that if UTEP was a worthwhile program they wouldn't have scheduled us. Lol. I guess nmsu isn't either.

Yeah because winning zero titles of any kind is the same as winning 10 WAC titles in a row.

Because you’re focused on other things, Kansas wouldn’t have scheduled a tough team for this week. Nothing but a tune up game for them. If you need me to dumb it down further I can Mr Superstitious

Yeah because winning zero titles of any kind is the same as winning 10 WAC titles in a row.

Because you’re focused on other things, Kansas wouldn’t have scheduled a tough team for this week. Nothing but a tune up game for them. If you need me to dumb it down further I can Mr Superstitious
Ok got it. They scheduled us next year cuz we're not a worthwhile program and they schedule nmsu in 2018 for the same reason.

How do you know that Kansas scheduled UTEP?

What if it was UTEP who called out Kansas so they can get a big win and continue to build confidence going into the CUSA Tournament?

Last month the Kansas City Star reported The Kansas athletic department was down 30 million in revenue due to covid. They may be paying our travel expenses for the game, but I can guarantee we're not getting much if anything above that. I got no problem at all with the game. Its a no loss situation for UTEP. It's a good game to get right before the conference tournament.

Last month the Kansas City Star reported The Kansas athletic department was down 30 million in revenue due to covid. They may be paying our travel expenses for the game, but I can guarantee we're not getting much if anything above that. I got no problem at all with the game. Its a no loss situation for UTEP. It's a good game to get right before the conference tournament.
Totally agree with this. Lose and we were supposed to lose anyway. Keep it respectable and it was worth filling in the schedule rather than not playing for a long stretch leading up to the conference tourney. Make it a close one and head into conference tournament play with a little confidence. Win and...eh, who am I kidding?!?

Terry recruited Durant?

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article249596173.html

“That’s not taking anything away from Texas,” Self said. “They whipped us, but I do think that layoff may have contributed to us not being as sharp. So we wanted to do something (after it was apparent KU would not need to make up any missed league games because of COVID-19 protocols) and this was a good game for us against UTEP, a quality opponent.”

KU was allowed to schedule a 27th game because the KU-Tarleton State game, set for Dec. 13, had been called off because of COVID-19 protocols in Tarleton’s program.

UTEP, which defeated Charlotte in a pair of games last Saturday and Sunday in El Paso, Texas, would have been idle nine days from March 1 until the start of the Conference USA Tournament on March 10 without this game versus KU.

“I’ve known Rodney (Terry, UTEP coach) a long time. He was a longtime assistant at Texas, recruited Durant (Kevin) and some of those guys,” Self said. “He’s been around big-time ball and I thought it would be a good game for us, so this will be.

Self is just being nice. I wish UTEP would pay him to have a mentoring session with CRT after the game.

Reactions: utep-piggy

Agree re: UT. The UT System should throw little brother a bone.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Agree re: UT. The UT System should throw little brother a bone.

I’m looking through their schedules, doesn’t look like they play “little bros” too much. Other than UT-A

20-21 UTRGV
18-19 UT-Arlington
16-17 UT-Arlington
15-16 UT-Arlington and UTSA
14-15 UT-Arlington
13-14 UT-Arlington

I’m looking through their schedules, doesn’t look like they play “little bros” too much. Other than UT-A

20-21 UTRGV
18-19 UT-Arlington
16-17 UT-Arlington
15-16 UT-Arlington and UTSA
14-15 UT-Arlington
13-14 UT-Arlington

Yeah, and it’d be easy to add an annual early season MBB game with an occasional one here.

Hoping the Miners can hang in there and make a decent game of it tonight.

Being that I have to work tomorrow, I’m also hoping it’s only a 2-3 drink night.:cool:

Reactions: Lil_Train
I’m just gonna say, win or lose, this has been fun up to this point at least. It’s way beyond what I was hoping for.

Only problem is, I’m beyond my 3 drinks...but in celebratory fashion rather than drowning my sorrows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT