ADVERTISEMENT

Miners to play Kansas

This game was a steal. Yes the team should have done better in the last minute, that is completely true. The refs screwed over UTEP and no one can deny that. Better coaching could have dealt with that, but that is beyond most mid major coaches.
I'll explain my reasoning from my bias perspective. NMSU lost to KU 63-60 back in 2018. They weren't beating KU as bad as UTEP was throughout the entire game. We saw some bad calls in that game. Cue this one: UTEP 12-10 going into this game. KU dropping out of the top 25 this year after having a 231 week streak in the top 25. They couldn't risk looking bad against a mediocre CUSA team. Yes the refs screwed over UTEP and I will stand by that. The announcers sucked to.

No blame on refs IMO. Refs let them play. Big XII announcers were ticky tacking calling but this was a traditional Big East ref'ed game: "No Blood, no foul".

Kansas guards cut off passes to Williams, they scrapped by getting critical steals and cut off dribble to paint. Terry is bitching about fouls late in game in post game show as I type this but Kansas clamped down.

No blame on refs IMO. Refs let them play. Big XII announcers were ticky tacking calling but this was a traditional Big East ref'ed game: "No Blood, no foul".

Kansas guards cut off passes to Williams, they scrapped by getting critical steals and cut off dribble to paint. Terry is bitching about fouls late in game in post game show as I type this but Kansas clamped down.
The refs let them play until about 10 minutes left in the game.

This game was a steal. Yes the team should have done better in the last minute, that is completely true. The refs screwed over UTEP and no one can deny that. Better coaching could have dealt with that, but that is beyond most mid major coaches.
I'll explain my reasoning from my bias perspective. NMSU lost to KU 63-60 back in 2018. They weren't beating KU as bad as UTEP was throughout the entire game. We saw some bad calls in that game. Cue this one: UTEP 12-10 going into this game. KU dropping out of the top 25 this year after having a 231 week streak in the top 25. They couldn't risk looking bad against a mediocre CUSA team. Yes the refs screwed over UTEP and I will stand by that. The announcers sucked to.
Agree. UTEP had some soft fouls called against them down the stretch that weren’t called early on. However, in addition to getting hosed by the refs, we went 4:02 without a basket. Terrible coaching down the stretch. Now you see why we could give a shit if CRT were to get poached. This is all too common of an occurrence. Lack of court leadership did us in too.

What?!? Did we watch the same game? The refs called every little touch down the stretch. EVERYTHING! Did you watch the last 5 minutes? Let them play? They called everything.

The refs let them play until about 10 minutes left in the game.
Kansas was reaching. That's why I said this was a Big East called game.

You switch the ball left to avoid "reach around". This is taught in AAU/High School. You keep your body between the defender and ball, it didn't happen with Boum and Bienemy at critical times.

Everything’s great when the shots are falling. Good coaches anticipate that they’ll stop falling, and what to do when adversity strikes.

Kansas was reaching. That's why I said this was a Big East called game.

You switch the ball left to avoid "reach around". This is taught in AAU/High School. You keep your body between the defender and ball, it didn't happen with Boum and Bienemy at critical times.
It’s what they called on us in the paint. Not what they didn’t call on KU.

Agree. UTEP had some soft fouls called against them down the stretch that weren’t called early on. However, in addition to getting hosed by the refs, we went 4:02 without a basket. Terrible coaching down the stretch. Now you see why we could give a shit if CRT were to get poached. This is all too common of an occurrence. Lack of court leadership did us in too.
Whatever y'all do don't hire Paul Weir. That guy gives up halfway through the first half and blames it on team spirit. I don't know whats going on with CTR as NMSU has been laughing at UNM. I did not see CTR give up on the team for the last stretch. They played hard and I haven't seen the give up with CRT as I have seen with WAC coaches and UNM.

What?!? Did we watch the same game? The refs called every little touch down the stretch. EVERYTHING! Did you watch the last 5 minutes? Let them play? They called everything.
That 3 on pointer on Kansas on Bienemy was a ticky tack call that went to UTEP.

Kansas got some in the paint calls late but Boum and Bienemy dribbled into traffic late. That allowed Kansas to trap.

That 3 on pointer on Kansas on Bienemy was a ticky tack call that went to UTEP.

Kansas got some in the paint calls late but Boum and Bienemy dribbled into traffic late. That allowed Kansas to trap.
I don’t think anybody would dispute that. It’s the 6-8 and 1s that KU got the last 6-7 minutes of the game. It was weak and inconsistent with the way the game had been called up to that point. Those are the calls people were bitching about. Not the non calls against our guards.

Typical UTEP. You think they are finally going to pull it off and win a huge game and they can’t close it out at the end. But of course the excuse is always the refs not the fact that we couldn’t score any points in the final 4 minutes.
It’s both. If you’ve read the thread, you’d see it’s both.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Who cares about reading the thread. I watched the game and it was typical UTEP not being able to close it out. It’s the same old shit with UTEP.
I’ll agree with that. But if you watched the game like you said you did, the calls were inconsistent as a mother ****er from the first 30 minutes to the last 10 minutes. Night and day.

Reading the thread by the way would point out not everybody thinks it was all on the refs like you said. Several people commented on the shit calls also commented on offensive breakdown the last 6-8 minutes, and especially the last 4.

Last edited:
Who cares about reading the thread. I watched the game and it was typical UTEP not being able to close it out. It’s the same old shit with UTEP.
Hey, welcome to the new folks. You obviously care.

Tough loss. Scheduling is a component in this game and UTEP showed up. How do they respond to FAU or Marshall Wednesday?

I am not buying the "no calls" late because our guards dribbled into Kansas traps by using their "favorite hand" which is typically right. Kansas trapped using the half court and line.

Last edited:
Reactions: FedupMiner
Hey, welcome to the new folks. You obviously care.

Tough loss. Scheduling is a component in this game and UTEP showed up. How do they respond to FAU or Marshall Wednesday?

I am not buying the "no calls" late because our guards dribbled into Kansas traps by using their "favorite hand" which is typically right. Kansas trapped using the half course and line.
Exactly. If you collapse down the stretch against a good team like Kansas, 9 times out of 10 you are going to lose the game. That’s what happened with us tonight. Terry once again showed us he is a below average coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT